Zgemma h.2h or s

sordids

good morning

im needing some advice please is it Zgemma h.2s or the Zgemma h.2h to run virgin media and sky ?

thanks

thankyou for your reply

sorry for this im a newbie
secondly if i bought the H2H is that the only cost ?
or do you have to pay for a virgin line ?
plus im slowly working through the tutorials on this forum

thanks

Buying the box is not the only cost, if your looking to use both sky and cable you will need a connection (line for both) some providers do a dual line for both. Best image to flash for that is the dsayers back up which is for both sky and cable to be used. Will take you 15-20 mins to do by following the guide on the first post of his thread. Then add the connections, if using both your better running 2 nlines in mgcam.
Just makes things simple that's all

You will also need an official subscription with Virgin Media. The lowest package will do.

Not true.

What you do need is to know that the cable connection inside your home is also physically connected inside the VM cabinet.
By having some sort of VM subscription guarantees that will be the case - however if the house has ever had VM services it's extremely unlikely that you would ever be disconnected in the cabinet unless there is serious capacity issues.

if I have both a sky dish (but no sky box as never had sky and just moved in) and an active virgin connection, which would you go for H2H or H2S? Also what is the h52s & h5? I am looking for a decent box to use and stick with. I have also been looking on a popular auction site (not sure if we are allowed to name it) and I have been looking at H2S (before reading your site) and have been comparing. I have seen one for £63 and some for well over a £100 and also compared some with BCM7362 4.01x (£83), BCM7363 4.01x (£88) Linux kernel and bcm7358 3.14 (£63) and I really am not that technical to know which is best, but am also prepared to pay a little more if its worth it and going to last longer. Sorry for the basic questions

---------- Post Merged at 12:24 PM ----------

also not sure if they come with the sly or sky skin on and how to get this if they don't. thanks in advance

Get a h2h get one completely blank and set it up yourself will work out cheaper and you learn about the box as you go.

what is the difference between the boxes?
Where do you find the info on how to set it up?
Which processor/Linux kernel would you go for?

The H5 boxes are slightly newer and can support 4K (although only through apps, not via the tuners).

You want to go where the most support is - current this is the H2H/H2S. Think of it like the Raspberry Pi - there are more powerful boxes out there, but the most support by far is available for the Pi so 99% of the time it's a better buy even though it's not the most powerful.

Only the H2H can view cable. The benefit of cable is that you can still watch HD channels - something that no longer works on satellite bar some FTA channels. A cable line typically runs at twice the price of a satellite one. If you're not fussed about HD then you could get a H2S and just go with Satellite.

You don't have to worry about processor/kernel or anything like that if you use one of the builds on here. You just flash the image and input your lines. In the case of cable you also need to configure your area as that changes depending on your location.

Don't know if this is right thread.
Can anyone help, my Zgemma h2s stops every hour on the hour for about 7 seconds, could it be a setting I've got wrong on my box

The H5 boxes are slightly newer and can support 4K (although only through apps, not via the tuners).

You want to go where the most support is - current this is the H2H/H2S. Think of it like the Raspberry Pi - there are more powerful boxes out there, but the most support by far is available for the Pi so 99% of the time it's a better buy even though it's not the most powerful.

Only the H2H can view cable. The benefit of cable is that you can still watch HD channels - something that no longer works on satellite bar some FTA channels. A cable line typically runs at twice the price of a satellite one. If you're not fussed about HD then you could get a H2S and just go with Satellite.

You don't have to worry about processor/kernel or anything like that if you use one of the builds on here. You just flash the image and input your lines. In the case of cable you also need to configure your area as that changes depending on your location.

what is the price difference for a line between satellite and cable? so satellite you cant watch or record in HD or you can record but not watch?
have you got any recommendations on who to buy the line from?

Never heard of raspberry Pi. just googled it. so its a starter package for hardware? I do hardware installation and repair but I never get involved in software or applications, so its all new to me.

you mention getting a build from here. can you point me in the right direction? will that mean that everything will be ready to use on the box and it will look like sly/sky with the epg, but will just need a line?

do you have any recommendations from where to buy? I have been looking:
Genuine Full HD Zgemma H.2H Satellite TV Receiver FTA Upgrade of Star 2S H.2S 620944937721 | eBay
and
twin-sat-tuner

what are kernals? surely its always better getting the most up to date processor, or will the older ones be just as good for what I want?

Thank you for you help

A satellite line is around £30 a year, cable around £60 - rough numbers though.
Request sat lines here: http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...d-server-satellite-january-february-only.html
Request cable lines here: http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59334-recommend-good-cable-pay-server-request-only.html

Satellite has no HD at all (bar free-to-air ones). Only cable offers HD premium channels (like Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc).

Raspberry Pi was just an analogy - not actually related to these boxes. It's a little computer for about £30 but the support available for it is massive. If you need community support you need to go with a box which is well supported. If you go with a box that no-one else has then you'll be on your own when it comes to support.

For the H2H, if you go for cable and satellite use DSayers build: http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-sta...2014-openatv-image-h-2h-one-set-bouquets.html
If you just want sat, use Whooshbuild: http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-h-2s/109524-wooshbuild-v5-zgemma-h2s.html

If you only want Sat, then go for the H2S box: Zgemma Star H.2S Satellite Receiver H2S
If you want cable and sat then you'll need a H2H: Zgemma Star H.2H Two Tuner DVB S2 + DVB T2/C

Kernels are the real core of the operating system, at it's lowest level. Everytime there's an update there's a real chance it can break something - so you never want the latest for something like a TV receiver. If you want the latest processor then go ahead, but it won't give you anything more and there'll be no support for it as most other people have the common models which do exactly the same job. At the end of the day we're talking about a satellite box, not a high-end PC - the latest and greatest isn't exactly required and it more often than not causes issues (updates can break builds).

buy one off here not ebay :)
sat-cable-terrestrial

its your choice though :)

---------- Post Merged at 08:34 PM ----------

Get a h2h get one completely blank and set it up yourself will work out cheaper and you learn about the box as you go.

what is the difference between the boxes?
Where do you find the info on how to set it up?
Which processor/Linux kernel would you go for?

open atv for h.2h
http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/index.php?open=zgemmah2h

manual
http://www.zgemma.org/uploads/3/4/8/7/34872893/zgemma_h.2h_manual.pdf

out of interest, why this site? the ones on ebay come with 'open vix'? im assuming I can just flash a new image over that for slyk?

out of interest, why this site? the ones on ebay come with 'open vix'? im assuming I can just flash a new image over that for slyk?

Although i won't advise you, any site to buy from,ebay sellers are notorious for bad service, over pricing,and bad quality providers.

If buying from the forum sponsor zgemma uk the boxes will come with default openatv then you can flash an image from here or setup from scratch adding cams, skins etc

Back