ZGemma H9S loses connection when changing IPTV Channels

ajama1

ZGemma H9S loses connection when changing IPTV Channels after a long period of time. (after 30 minutes)

For example im watching one channel for an hour and then change to another - I have to restart the box and restart the network interface to fix the issue.

Got latest version of Wooshbuild and the latest nightly of OpenATV 6.2
When I boot up the H9S it works - channel is stable / no stuttering
When I change channel the contents does not display and all internet connection is lost - i cant even download any plug ins.

I was using power line/ homeplugs and I changed to direct connection to my router which is not next to the H9S
Tried changing DNS on the router and on the H9S - still issues

Currently Using Xtream.
I have also changed IPTV provider - still same issue
Downloaded service app and changed to ext3player & gststream - no fix.

Went to my friends house which has his whole network go through VPN still same issue
Tried re flashing the box - same issue.

Any ideas?

Try setting a fixed ip had a similar problem on a Android box and section static fixed the problem, I can not say I have had the same issue on a Zgemma mind.

Try setting a fixed ip had a similar problem on a Android box and section static fixed the problem, I can not say I have had the same issue on a Zgemma mind.

Already did that - still issue

Tried setting DNS name servers manually and still same issue.
When the channel doesn't load, I checked the network settings and the LAN connection link is neither red or green. I have to restart the interface to get it working again and it turns green.
I have written a script that pings the default gateway every 10 seconds. However I think for enigma2 boxes there is a different way to get it to run at start-up which is what I am trying to figure out.

Can I run the script via a Cron job or what?

I can't see the image being the issue. who is your isp - what router you using?

Already did that - still issue
I have written a script that pings the default gateway every 10 seconds. However I think for enigma2 boxes there is a different way to get it to run at start-up which is what I am trying to figure out.

Can I run the script via a Cron job or what?

You can set up a cron on the box in the same way you would on any linux box or using the cron manager (menu -> Info Panel -> Plugins) or if you know linux then you can put a symbolic link to your script in the etc/rc3.d folder to start the script when the box boots up

Seemed to have fixed the issue ... for now.
IPV6 name-server what at the top of the list of name-servers in /etc/resolv.conf

So disabled IPV6 via editing the /etc/sysctl.conf file and adding the lines below:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
Also deleted the IPV6 DNS name-server from /etc/resolv.conf

I have also created a bash script whereby it ping to some addresses every 10 seconds and restarts the network interface eth0 if it fails. Also generates a log file which I can use to monitor the script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# -q quiet
# -c nb of pings to perform
while true
do
    ping -q -c1 192.168.1.1 > /dev/null
    ping -q -c1 8.8.8.8 > /dev/null
    ping -q -c1 1.1.1.1 > /dev/null
    ping -q -c1 google.co.uk > /dev/null
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")" >> /home/root/ping.txt
    else
        echo "Error No internet at $(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")" >> /home/root/ping.txt
        /etc/init.d/networking restart > /dev/null
        sleep 10
    fi
    sleep 10
done

I hope this fix will be permanent.

who is your ISP? I've never found an IP6 address on my box, I wonder if you have DHCP enabled if it's getting the nameservers from the router. If so, turning off DHCP and setting nameservers to googles should solve that I would think (not a network expert though)?

who is your ISP? I've never found an IP6 address on my box, I wonder if you have DHCP enabled if it's getting the nameservers from the router. If so, turning off DHCP and setting nameservers to googles should solve that I would think (not a network expert though)?

Yes grog68, you are correct in that IPV6 addresses and DNS servers are given out via the router if the IPV6 DHCP is enabled but I disabled it in my case. Currently running PfSense router and My ISP is TalkTalk. Just disabling the DHCP server for IPV6 did not fix the issues and indeed the box would still generate the IPV6 name server and put it on the top of the name-server list in the /etc/resolv.conf.

From memory, In Linux there is an algorithm that runs and basically sends a ICMP packet to each of the name-servers and if it time-out then it tries the next one. That is why it is important that the most reliable name-server is at the top of the list in the /etc/resolv.conf file. Of course the name-server for the IPV6 would be ::1 or fe80:: which points back to itself and thus would frequently cause issues. Checking the /etc/sysctl.conf file revelaed that it would automatically attempt to configure an IPV6 address and DNS server even when it is not being assigned by the router. and appear every time I reboot the box even when I delete and save it beforehand

Watching content today, there was no issue and the stability of the Zgemma H9S has been 100% which is fantastic. Would still recommend a Nvidia shield TV though especially for IPTV.

Good that there's an easy fix posted in case anyone with the same issue comes across the thread.

Back