Zgemma S2 or Amiko Alien2 Triple Tuner?

fakepaddy

About to buy my first box and torn between the two of them. Any recommendations?

AA2 has the benefit that if I move to a house without satailite, I can still use it as a PVR for terrestrial.

Also would want to use the VU+ / Enigma client on Kodi to stream a signal from the STB. As in the missus watches the box downstairs and I can watch another channel upstairs. I take it can do that with both boxes?

Both boxes are approx 120EUR so just looking for opinions.

Thanks

120euro for a Zgemma s2 I think someone is trying to rip you off 100-110 at the most.

It's upto you which box you want to choose both are E2 based but the Amiko is not mip based cpu so it does not have as much support.

Yeah its 120EUR from the bloke down the road in the shop, cheaper to import from the UK with a wait, or cheaper on Alibaba with a longer wait. So 120 is in a pretty safe ballpark.

Just double checked and the AA2 is 120 ex vat (150EUR total) so if what your saying is that its more expensive and less support, probably swinging in favour of the Zgemma.

If I wanted to use the Zgemma S2 for terrestrial only, it is just a case of putting in a USB DVB-T card in the STB?

Yeah its 120EUR from the bloke down the road in the shop, cheaper to import from the UK with a wait, or cheaper on Alibaba with a longer wait. So 120 is in a pretty safe ballpark.

Just double checked and the AA2 is 120 ex vat (150EUR total) so if what your saying is that its more expensive and less support, probably swinging in favour of the Zgemma.

If I wanted to use the Zgemma S2 for terrestrial only, it is just a case of putting in a USB DVB-T card in the STB?

Still a high price in the UK these are about £70-75 so about 100euro so depending which country you are in you may be able to find eBay seller cheaper.

Is it the same shop selling the AA2 for that price? 150 euro is about right.

If you plan to only watch freeview as such then I do not see the point in one of these boxes and no you do not just plug a usb dvb-t card in.

If I wanted to use the Zgemma S2 for terrestrial only,

if you only want it for terrestrial then your best bet is the h1/h2 not the s2

Zgemma Star H2 Combo Receiver Sat & Terrestrial & Cable DVB-S2/DVB-T/DVB-C

H1 does not support terrestrial only H2.

Last edited:
Is it the same shop selling the AA2 for that price? 150 euro is about right.

If you plan to only watch freeview as such then I do not see the point in one of these boxes and no you do not just plug a usb dvb-t card in.

Yes same shop.

Sorry my post should have a been a bit more specific. The place I'm in at the moment has twin LNB so all good for sat and I can get all "freesat" channels on Astra 2D.

But incase I move to a house without a dish in the near future (I rent BTW), I would like the possibility to be able to use the PVR with some form of DVB-T USB card.

Its not a deal breaker though - the Zgemma looks brilliant for the money. It was more an afterthought. I have seen guides when you just plug in DVB-T USB card and it detects it and allows it for use.

No worries though, like I said its more an afterthought.

EDIT: I have just seen a video of a guy adding a DVB-T tuner here, so it must be possible.

[video=youtube;Yd0GTU5aJJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0GTU5aJJY[/video]
Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You could try a external powered usb hub to plug the tuner into

I don't think I need to do that. The sticks are very low powered. They even make microusb versions for plugging into mobile phones.

I was just interested to know if anybody had used it in this way as it can be done (from the video)

You could try a external powered usb hub to plug the tuner into

I don't think I need to do that. The sticks are very low powered. They even make microusb versions for plugging into mobile phones.

I was just interested to know if anybody had used it in this way as it can be done (from the video)

You can buy a zgemma direct from airsat store which includes usb tuner but not seen anyone selling one including it so it comes down to drivers. Aliexpress.com : Buy The Best Combo DVB S2+S2+T HD Zgemma Star 2S + DVB T USB Dongle with Cable Stick Adapter Triple tuner Satellite TV Receiver from Reliable receiver karaoke suppliers on Shenzhen Air Digital Technology Co., Ltd. | Alibaba Group

I think you will need a usb hub the rear port will need usb drive for recording and the usb tuner so that is two ports this box only has one at the back.

From my own experience I do not rate usb tv tuners at all tend to have issues with them plus they put a lot of pressure on the cpu.

Back