ZGemma S2 vs Vu+ Solo 2

Hi all,

Newb here and believe this has been asked before.

I just wanted to know if the main difference was speed between these 2 boxes? Is set-up any different?

I've read a few threads and it seems the Vu+ box is much simpler to set-up/has a better initial interface, but wanted some confirmation on this.

Additionally I only have a 1 meg internet connection due to living out in the sticks - would this be a problem with either box? I have some powerline adapters since the router is in a couple of rooms over.

Also wondering if Blackhole is suitable for a beginner - a technically minded beginner, but a beginner none-the-less.

Cheers

I have a Vu+ Solo 2 and it was the first (and only) box I've had. I run it with a 500GB HDD inside, and it quite capably records one channel whilst I watch another.

Personally, I use the Vix Image, and find this very easy and comfortable to work with. I did Flash BlackHole once, but reflashed back to Vix a couple of days later as I didn't like the look and feel of BH, but it really is horses for courses, and what suits me may not suit you.

Having had no experience of any other box, I cannot offer a comparison, but I can simply say the Solo 2 has replaced 5ky Plus in my house, and I am a happy man.

1 meg is slow best to wait until others can say if its a runner or not.solo2 rocks fastest twin sat receiver and no one has said they had a better box.

Thanks for the info so far gents.
Yes, unfortunately the internet here is a bloody pain. While the countryside is lovely I don't quite get the 100meg connection I had before :/ A fella on another forum did say that his ZGemma box was fine on 1meg, perhaps it's the same case here? I have a couple of powerline adapters as mentioned above. Be good to get confirmation though.

I have set up many many boxes and the solo2 with and internal HDD is the bees knees, as long as your not streaming a STABLE 1 meg connection will be fine as they use very little data, just stable pings required.

Great stuff on my PC connected to the router direct I get 1.5mb, so I'll probably just hard-wire a long CAT5 in through the wall and roof space :) A Vu it is then!

Ive bought and sold a fair few sat boxes of various shapes and specs....the Solo2 is the best imho.
Ive got one here myself and it does everything i ask of it....speed is the key to any receiver and the solo2 hasit.
Ive gotta get hold ofthose Zgemma boxes just to compare but it doesnt stand up to the solo2 on paper but id still like to get my head around one and see how it behaves.
Freck

1 meg is slow best to wait until others can say if its a runner or not.solo2 rocks fastest twin sat receiver and no one has said they had a better box.

I have a better box a htpc with 4 tuners.

There is others that beat it but they cost more.

1 meg should be fine it's the ping and if the lines stable that will matter I have checked data throughput it's only a few kb the things that need better download speed is iptv and it may take bit longer to download epg but even that is at most few meg.

Software wise both run the same it's just different hardware and support levels but what do you expect vu+ solo2 is almost 3-4 times the price.

is that a pc with tuners m8 what type of tuners may interest others? solo2 down to £159

I use TBS one and dvbsky one can not remember the model numbers I will check later.

Software openelec/tvheadend.

Over kill really but I spotted them on Amazon a while ago for really cheap go grabbed one of each brand so it covers dvb-s2 and dvb-t2/c

Back