Zgemma star 2 s issues with becoming unresponsive and boot issues

dappa2

I have had a zgemma star 2s for nearly a year and a half and at some point have tried a few images on it but settled for openvix hades for most of the time I've had it. Recently in the last few months was having the odd issue from time to time where the box would become unresponsive, no big deal just turn the box off and its ok again, but recently it seems to be happening more and more issues with it.

Whats happening is:

Box becomes unresponsive and whatever you are watching the screen goes black. The tv then does the countdown cause nothing is displaying on the screen but if you press the remote the box still responds but nothing is showing on the screen and the tv is still counting down, If you access openwebif and ask the box to turn off and on it occasionally wakes the box back to working ok again and you again can watch it. Now that doesn't always work and if I turn the box off and turn it back on from boot it will sometimes set things right with the zgemma again but 9 times out of 10 wont so the box cant be watched from my tv, If I have rebooted from power off the box never gets past 49 percent on the boot up numbers on the front panel, If I sit there for a hour or so turning off and on it might boot up to 100 percent. I might add when its fully booted and has gone back to being a black screen openwebif still works if I access it from a browser and I can view a stream without issue if I view it on kodi vu plus solo addon.

I have tried flashing multiple images to see if different firmwares will sort it out, but that is not stopping it from doing it, before I throw my zgemma in the bin and resign myself to using my openbox until I can get another zgemma does anyone have a idea why it might be doing this, hardware issue? Software?

I have had a zgemma star 2s for nearly a year and a half and at some point have tried a few images on it but settled for openvix hades for most of the time I've had it. Recently in the last few months was having the odd issue from time to time where the box would become unresponsive, no big deal just turn the box off and its ok again, but recently it seems to be happening more and more issues with it.

Whats happening is:

Box becomes unresponsive and whatever you are watching the screen goes black. The tv then does the countdown cause nothing is displaying on the screen but if you press the remote the box still responds but nothing is showing on the screen and the tv is still counting down, If you access openwebif and ask the box to turn off and on it occasionally wakes the box back to working ok again and you again can watch it. Now that doesn't always work and if I turn the box off and turn it back on from boot it will sometimes set things right with the zgemma again but 9 times out of 10 wont so the box cant be watched from my tv, If I have rebooted from power off the box never gets past 49 percent on the boot up numbers on the front panel, If I sit there for a hour or so turning off and on it might boot up to 100 percent. I might add when its fully booted and has gone back to being a black screen openwebif still works if I access it from a browser and I can view a stream without issue if I view it on kodi vu plus solo addon.

I have tried flashing multiple images to see if different firmwares will sort it out, but that is not stopping it from doing it, before I throw my zgemma in the bin and resign myself to using my openbox until I can get another zgemma does anyone have a idea why it might be doing this, hardware issue? Software?

Sounds bizar that its doing this with different images
Have you installed or altered a skin recently? as stopping at 49 would suggest there is a skin problem
if so deleting the skin folder should solve the problem.

Failing that, I would try a wooshbuild OpenATV image, OpenVix is no longer supported on Zgemma boxes

Last edited:
the skin that was on the box was blue hd which is what my line provider gave me when I first got it, Currently wooshbuild latest version is on it with openatv

I'm not sure if Wooshbuild has known issues like this, I assume not. To be honest I don't even know what skin Wooshbuild uses.

If you have tried re flashing with different images already and it still stops at 49 on startup, you should still be able to FTP to your box, make a backup of the skin folder that you are using, then delete it from the box, it should continue to start up and use the default skin. (that's if its a skin issue causing it to jam up)

Whats happening is:

Sounds bizar that its doing this with different images
Have you installed or altered a skin recently? as stopping at 49 would suggest there is a skin problem
if so deleting the skin folder should solve the problem.

Failing that, I would try a wooshbuild OpenATV image, OpenVix is no longer supported on Zgemma boxes

Vix has never supported the zgemma and uses a patched Version with still works Hades is a old version so a reflash should work make sure you have a backup of line details first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vix has never supported the patched version they dont support the zgemma Full stop Air sat (makers of zgemma) Create a patched Version

Im using it on my H2s plugins work no problem and download You should never do software updates over the internet

Just an update on this, I think its a hardware issue reason being after all the messing around with it and booting off and on it did somethng different last night where the screen was black but I could hear sound which is something its not done until now. This got me thinking a bit and all the things I've not done with the troubleshooting is actually see if its the hdmi cable that was the issue, I tried a few hdmi cables I had lying spare and they all produced the same issue but the pulling out of the cable and putting it back seems to have bought the screen back but it flashes on and off so I can see it now but its annoying, If I actually tap the box hard enough it stops doing it for awhile but then goes back to doing it.

My next course of action is to take a screwdriver to the box and open it up to see if anything is loose around the connectors, if its the case hopefully I cant sort it out.

Ive got this issue since last wed night we had lightning and a power cut. I tryed new hdmi as well but the port is damaging them im not sure if its on the tv or the box. Will try a new hdmi cable on another tv and see how it goes. Let me know how you get on

After taking the cover off I connected the box up and tried it again and the screen was flashing on and off so I hit the box really hard and its not done it since the other day , so for now result!

After taking the cover off I connected the box up and tried it again and the screen was flashing on and off so I hit the box really hard and its not done it since the other day , so for now result!

lol theres me thinking its a skin software issue and you fix by hitting it really hard

oh well glad its fixed

well it stayed fixed for a few days and worked really fine then started annoying me with the same problem, I got fed up with it so put my foot through the box, its in the bin now lol, crappy openbox for the time being til I get a new box sorted out.

My philosophy on everything in life.
If it doesn't work wack it really hard lol

im not tech minded but need help with zgemma box stuck on boot with green light on how can i get out of boot mode all help would be much appreciated thankyou

Back