Zgemma star 2s cccam assistance required.

I now understand what cactikid probably really meant to say instead of his red, large lettered text entry....

reading through the thread again I think it's almost certain cactikid was referring to the post earlier in the thread by Squeeky - using an official OpenVix build from WOS on this receiver would NOT be a good idea!

Cactikid knows his stuff and gives good advice :)

Imho online update could cause ur box to need reflashd but the word 'bricked' I think gets used too much. Makes people think it's dead permanently. Now thats a brick ;)

Yep it's a faircop "bricked" in my mind could mean semi-brick and just a reflash or could mean going down the jtag route which sure as hell looks a right PITA unless of course you know what you're doing and have the right gear ...:(

I fully respect cactikid for his full and extensive knowledge and am fully.aware that he gives good advice but all I'm trying to say is that he should have explained a bit better and a bit fuller what he was trying to say. I admit I'm less than a week old in this field of technological wizardry but I'm not daft and would have taken on board any advice or words of caution without hesitation. This is why I'm here.......to learn.
No offence taken and thanks everybody for taking the time to reply.
Glensorie

:yes!:

Hi all.

Just a 'quick' update on my marathon trek to get this (my first box) up and running.

As I said yesterday I had to flash my box with sucumnsee's vix image for my zgemma star 2s, that went to plan. Late last night I managed to get a 48hr test line to try but was unable to try it out 'coz it was so late and had to be up at 04:00hrs for work (gets in the way of everything doesn't it!!). This afternoon I FTP'd the above mentioned line (C line) using Filezilla and CCcam 2.1.3, all the line's ECM info populated immediately. So far so good!!
I then rebooted the box and there on screen was THE Tune Failed error!!!, I went to the EPG and noticed it wasn't populated with any programme details. It was going too well I thought!. Went into Autobouquetsmaker to make sure my provider was still selected the selected scan, scanned about 40% then the 'Timeout for Tuner lock' error appeared on screen!!!
This wasn't going to beat me this time after getting so near!
Out came the LNB from the back of the box (after turning off, got to be careful! no needless slipups now) and checked the plug was connected to the cable properly and securely then re-inserted into the back and switched back on........same error! 'Tune failed! Went into Setup, Service Searching, Tuner Configuration, selected Tuner B (which I 'm currently not using, only single LNB line at present) and changed it to 'not configured' thus, I assume, disabling it. Then went to Automatic scan and started it........15/20mins later, 900 and odd channels found, looking good I thought. Back to Autobouquetsmaker and re-scanned.....no problems this time, loads of channels updated.
Time for a reboot (whether it needs it or not)........no errors this time.
Fired up the EPG and lo and behold everything is populated!! All channels seem to be there and working perfectly. :woohoo:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 'Tune Failed' error was because the tuner required re-scanning to repopulate the available channels on the sat and I think the 'Timeout for Tuner Lock' on Autobouquetsmaker scan occurred because it was trying to scan Tuner 'A' and 'B' until I disabled tuner 'B'.
Please correct me or give the correct explaination of these errors and their resolution......
It worked for me anyway and I'm happy. It's been a long (but interesting) week trying to cram as much info as I can into my brain about these satellite boxes. I'm sure I've only scratched the surface but I've got a working box and am happy.

A massive thankyou to all the people on this forum who have guided me along the way including Sucumnsee, Mtpockets, Crmorris2, Cactikid and anyone else along the way. You're all stars!

Did I say a quick update.......Sorry.

I'll no doubt be in touch again....
Glensorie

single cable in a twin tuner can give you that error.

the reason i posted in red was openvix does not support this box zgemma and to warn of perils if you use vix [ i have no idea what may happen if you ask ]

i warned others that bought starview boxes and no one listened=they got conned/scammed.

getting a working result and keeping people happy is very hard with whats out there.

is there a big warning not to do a online update and if you do what might happen,is it going to wos ???

plenty of reading and research scratches deeper than the surface.

forgot to mention according to openvix a box they dont offer support on and are told you can use vix image they call a clone!

Last edited:
Thanks for that Cactikid. I'll certainly heed your wise words and steer clear of auto updates. It's a shame Vix is not officially supported or rather this box is not officially supported by Vix. I'm sure there are official images out there and no doubt I'll be tinkering with them sometime in the future but for now I'm happy.
"plenty of reading and research scratches deeper than the surface."
Very true words........thanks again.

for anybody that says vix is supported on their box can be checked on the home of vix forum in downloads,if its not listed its not supported simple.

Patched or not I still prefer the unofficial vix. Especially for new users imho.

Quick q, having read through this thread I plan to order the S2 and load your image, is there a way to turn off updates just to be 100% sure I don't accidentally update the box?

Or is it a case of it wont update until I specifically go into settings and click update. Not something I'lb e doing as once it's up and running I'm firmly in the it isn't broke so don't try to fix it camp.

Already turned off so just dont manually update. But u can update plugins from inside the individual plugin.

Thanks for that bit of info. I plan on trying your vix backup on my zgemma, wasnt sure if it auto updated or not. I'd hate to do my usual and break the thing

fun times ahead as vix have a new image called HADES all new build might stop the zgemma from using patched image of apollo onwards,poor sucmnsee,be a late one tonight on the case of a new fix.:pop smiley::nolisten:;)

hi i have a zgemma star 2s and i cant get it to tune im using single cable in tuner a i go to settings disable b and save then it says checking tuner 0 diseqc port a for astra 2 28.2e but freezes here can some 1 plz help thanks in advance

Back