zgemma-star-2s

Pedro-50

Hi all. just arrived my new sat box. zgemma-star 2s having a few set up problems such as ,do i need to connect this to the internet for it to work ? i cannot find the sat list to tune it in to 28.2 also 19.2 ,i have one cable feed in and a switcher on the line do i just just connect this to tuner A. I just cannot find much info in the book. any help would grateful. regards Pedro

If it is a 2s, in the grand scheme of things its now quite an old and underpowered box.
I will work, but just........slowly.
To be honest, instead of setting it up from scratch, Id download one of the many pre setup images available on this site.
As the box is so old, you wont find much info on this general section of the forum - your better looking in the dedicated 2s section at : http://www.techkings.org/forums/zgemma-star-2s.458/

The easiest image to get up and running in minutes is woosh's build which s also in that same section, but here is the direct link: http://www.techkings.org/threads/wooshbuild-v5-zgemma-2s-s.111210/

Oh, if you only have one sat feed you MUST disable tuner B or every channel scan will fail.

Last edited:
If you have 2 lnb's, would it not be easier to use shotgun cable and put 28.2 into tuner a and 19.2 into tuner b? - you will need to connect it to the internet to clear some of the premium channels (a lot are no longer available) You'll still obviously need to purchase a euro line to clear both sats... I believe in ABM, you have a provider option to add additional satellites.

Many thanks for the replies regarding my setting up of my Zgemma new box ( but old model ) , i have downloaded the wooshbuild , i understand instructions are on here how to transfer from computer to box. I only wanted a simple replacement free to air box so probably picked the wrong one. Any more tips would be helpful .Thanks again

If you only want to receive freeview channels, the box doesn't need to be connected to the internet.

If you only have a single satellite wire but 2 lnb's connected to a diseqc switch, you can connect this to LNB A on the receiver.

When you're setting up the receiver, you will need to install a service searching plugin unless you're using a ready made image - if you check the downloads section, there's several ready made images to flash onto your box which will then only require minimal changes to get it configured for your needs.

To install any plugins that are required, or install woosh's build, you need an ethernet cable in the back.
Once it's set up though, if your using as a free to air / freesat box you need the sat feed as the EPG data is "over the air".
I'd expect it to be up n running in under half an hour max if no "line" for the encrypted channels is read.
Just remember to disable tuner B if you have 1 feed and DO NOT EVER do a factory reset on the box or you will end up with a potential door stop.

I used to own a zgemma star 2s and yes they can be slow, I found with whooshbuild put on it, it was alot faster maybe to the memory swap to give it a bit more juice, but if its just going to be used for watching tv then it works fine enough, dont use those patched vix images on it though as they crash more often and the plugin feeds dont work.

I have gone through the wooshbuild setup for my Zgemma Star but i get as far as the file swap and it says not enough space ( 300 mb needed ) on Hdd storage , using 4 gb Sandisk that was empty at start so i cannot go any further ,any help most grateful .Pedro

I have gone through the wooshbuild setup for my Zgemma Star but i get as far as the file swap and it says not enough space ( 300 mb needed ) on Hdd storage , using 4 gb Sandisk that was empty at start so i cannot go any further ,any help most grateful .Pedro
I would say a 32 gig memory stick would be more suited as to a 4 gig memory stick

Have you initialised the USB to work on the receiver?

That message about needing 300mb space always comes up when the usb device is corrupt - some people have got around this by reformatting it and some people have needed to use another usb drive... avoid using cheap unbranded ones if you can - Kingston / Toshiba / Sandisk are good known brands :)

After reformatting the usb it worked and loaded flashed ok as you say it is a bit slow booting up but after that its not too bad. The wooshbuild is only used for Uk channels is that correct ? i think i need to run a new cable to B tuner for my other feed that is for the 19.2 deg sat. will probably make life easier to set up rather than using 1 cable on tuner A. Can i use a larger HHd stick / drive or am i stuck with my 4 gb. How do i change the region as i think i was to quick for the page change and have the incorrect details on my area. does it work very god on Kodi is it worth downloading ? do i need the ES file manager ? I have fitted many sat systems for myself over the years so using this box is totally new for me so very much in the dark so very happy with all the help that you all have given. Is the manual much good or like many rubbish. Pedro

After reformatting the usb it worked and loaded flashed ok as you say it is a bit slow booting up but after that its not too bad. The wooshbuild is only used for Uk channels is that correct ? i think i need to run a new cable to B tuner for my other feed that is for the 19.2 deg sat. will probably make life easier to set up rather than using 1 cable on tuner A. Can i use a larger HHd stick / drive or am i stuck with my 4 gb. How do i change the region as i think i was to quick for the page change and have the incorrect details on my area. does it work very god on Kodi is it worth downloading ? do i need the ES file manager ? I have fitted many sat systems for myself over the years so using this box is totally new for me so very much in the dark so very happy with all the help that you all have given. Is the manual much good or like many rubbish. Pedro

I think WB for the Star-2s comes with Autobouquets E2 plugin for 28.2 bouquets only so I think you would need to get a bouquet plugin that supports multiple sats - Autobouquetsmaker should suffice for this as you only want the 2 sats.

You can change your usb drive but you'll need to initialise it via the menu.

Menu > setup > service searching > Autobouquets E2 should be in there? ... you should then be able to go into it to change your area.

Kodi wont work on your box.

The Star 2s is an old, slow satellite box these days really - you should have opted for the H2.S if you wanted a satellite zgemma box for the price difference as it's a much quicker box.

Back