Zgemma Star S2 stuck on boot

daviddb4

Hi guys - anyone got a solution for a Zgemma S2 stuck on boot after flashing image
I can install any image made for the Zgemma S2 but after installing the image the box then gets stuck on booting up
The box will show the splash screen of the image that has just been installed but won't continue to boot up
[FONT=&quot]It takes approximately 5 minutes to install most images ( is thisabout normal )[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The red light is on whilst installation is taking place[/FONT]
Hope someone can help (only had the receiver for 2 weeks )

Last edited:
Hi whenever you are trying to flash box use a good quality usb drive,first use hddguru to format then using windows, reset default settings and format. Copy just the zgemma folder onto the usb, insert into rear usb slot and whilst holding the front power button switch on, the display will read "FLSH" release button and display will change to "boot" when done. It should flash in about 3-10min.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your reply - bobn[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have used 4 different USB sticks - 2 Kingston Data Traveller's, 1Maxell and 1 Lexar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have tried the low level format method ( using HDDGURU software )and a full FAT 32 Windows format[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have also tried changing the Linux boot instruction on the images (noforce changed to force )[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I seemed to have tried every which way - but with no joy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will keep trying ( I will try your method to the letter and letyou know the outcome )[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks again for your help[/FONT]

Hi you don't say which image you are flashing and I know this is a bit obvious but have you tried a different image or version ? May not help but just a thought.

[FONT=&amp]bobn[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I have tried all supported images ( latest and older ) for OpenAtv4.2, ItalySat but not yet OpenDroid[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I have also tried the modified images from MTPockets and sucmnsee[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I have now tried to flash using your instructions - but still no joy[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The only part of your instructions that I had not previously tried was the part where you say to Restore Device Defaults before a Windows format[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Another part of your instructions that did not work for me was the instruction to hold the on/off button until FLSH appears[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]What happens on my box is that the display reads USB - only when I release the on/off button does it change to FLSH[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I will keep trying[/FONT]

Last edited:
When it says flash just leave it It should then boot up when it has finished flashing

[FONT=&quot]Tich[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes, I leave it on FLSH and it will install the image but when thebox starts to boot it gets stuck on boot and won't continue[/FONT]

Hi, did you ever figure this out. Ive got a similar issue with a modded image that wont flash on another box?

**edit sorry just remembered you can't load up your box, so the info below is not useful. **
** can you ftp access your box. if so might be worth looking in the log file. /home/root/logs **
** also if you have no signal, you will have no channels, therefore it will just show the loading screen. press tv button or epg to see if its actually working **

Have you tried an over the air image install. i.e download and install openatv 5.1 via your boxes internet connection. This might fix your box if something has become corrupt. I buggered my box up a couple of days ago and wasn't playing happy with USBs. Worked first time with an over the air flash install. Now its like new again. You start again from scratch and need to reinstall all your plugins and softcams but its worth it if something has become corrupt. My "guinea pigs needed" guide on this forum will help you set everything up once you have a new image installed. *obviously have a copy of your line if you have one before doing any fresh install*

Ps. On doing an over the air install, some of the screens look they have frozen and not doing anything. Be patient it loads eventually.

http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/76732-guinea-pigs-needed.html

And if these are your own backup images that are failing, mtpockets advised me there was a size limit on what you can back up. If you have multiple media plugins, picons, skins etc in your backup it is likely to fail due to the size. Just remove stuff like picons etc and try again.

Last edited:
i had the same issue lads.... buy a decent memory stick i bought a 16gb san disk cruzer usb stick for £6 quid in tesco. flashed with sucmandsee image of here......... when the box goes to flsh.... then boot... press some buttons on the remote control one of them gets it going lol......... try it again

Yo!
After 7 months I have finally got my Zgemma Star 2S working again
It had been stuck on boot since April and should have been binned months ago
Thanks to all who made a contribution to this thread especially userlee5267 who suggested I press some buttons on the remote control and this is what worked for me
I can't believe I didn't press some buttons when it was stuck on boot ( even if it was only in frustration )
I do hope this solution will help others with the same problem
It has worked twice for me when installing the latest backup images from sucmnsee and Mtpockets
During the period my Zgemma Star was out of action I purchased a Technomate TM-Nano-3TCOMBO - This a 3 tuner receiver with 2 satellite and 1 terrestrial tuners -
Using my 4k LG TV ( which can do 4k upscaling) plus the Technomate I get an excellent picture - much better than the 1920 by1080 pixel picture I get using my other receiver ( VU Plus Duo 2)
Thanks again Guys

Last edited:
hi all i have zgemma 2s i had problems with it when gave on loan all my channels deleted software cccam etc i tried to flash it twice with zgemma image from there site. now it is stuck on red light no matter what i press on off on re,mote and box nothing stuck on off put in zgemma file again from here nothing happening red light any help greatly appreciated as nothing is working help please thanks to you all.

I had the problem of the box being stuck on boot & resolved it by doing a lowlevel format with hddguru of my memory stick.

What happened was i flashed a mtpockets image from my memory stick, which worked fine, i then decided to start from scratch using kiddacs bare bones guide, which i did successfully. I backed back it up, deleted the mtpockets image from my stick & put my own on there, then flashed my mates box with it. It worked fine on initial boot, the problem arose when i rebooted the box or put it into deep standby as when i tried to start the box up it would stick on boot showing BOOT on the display.

I flashed it several more times with the same image & had the same outcome stuck on BOOT. I deleted my image from the stick & put mtpockets on there that previously worked without any problems, this time it also had the stuck on boot problem.

So i used HDDguru to low level format the stick, put my image on it, flashed it onto the box & not had the stuck on boot problem at all since.

Back