Euro Matches Resolution of games

Hi All,

Someone mentioned 4k feeds for the Euro matches on the public board chat .

Can someone please post the frequency of such feeds and how do you know which feed is 4k?

Hi All,

Can someone please post the frequency of such feeds and how do you know which feed is 4k?
No matches are transmitted in 4K

Euro 2024 Broadcast Quality
The decision to limit Euro 2024 video quality to 1080p was taken by the European football governing body UEFA, not the broadcasters themselves.

It appears to be a cost-saving measure, with the costs of delivering 4K video streams for the tournament’s 51 matches proving prohibitive. People increasingly streaming matches on mobile devices that don’t take full advantage of the 4K resolution is reported to have been another factor in UEFA’s decision to limit the quality of the live broadcasts.

Yeah just had a look , was in Currys and browsing the TV section, don't need a TV , but was told watch the euro's in 4K UHD. I mean all the ads for TVz are on the back of the footy, they're trying to flog it as 4K.

Oops not sure I'm in the wrong thread sorry

Hi All,

UEFA are only producing the Euro 2024 games in 1080p HDR. Same as they did for the Champions, Europa, and Conference League finals this year to save a few pennies.

BBC iPlayer shows the games in HDR. And I must admit, the picture quality on them is pretty impressive, much better than the garbage they're sending through the terrestrial or satellite broadcasts. However, they do have a delay of around 45-50 seconds compared to their linear broadcasts. If you can live with the delay, its worth watching on iPlayer if you have a pretty decent TV.

From what I have read, Rai 4K show an upscaled feed. I have not seen it, so cannot comment on how good the quality is, or if it is in HDR.

Lyngsat also shows the BEIN MENA 4K channel showing the games - again, not sure how good the quality is.

UEFA are only producing the Euro 2024 games in 1080p HDR. Same as they did for the Champions, Europa, and Conference League finals this year to save a few pennies.

BBC iPlayer shows the games in HDR. And I must admit, the picture quality on them is pretty impressive, much better than the garbage they're sending through the terrestrial or satellite broadcasts. However, they do have a delay of around 45-50 seconds compared to their linear broadcasts. If you can live with the delay, its worth watching on iPlayer if you have a pretty decent TV.

From what I have read, Rai 4K show an upscaled feed. I have not seen it, so cannot comment on how good the quality is, or if it is in HDR.

Lyngsat also shows the BEIN MENA 4K channel showing the games - again, not sure how good the quality is.
I had the Scotland game on last night, and whilst not 4K HDR quality, the picture seemed a significant improvement over standard BBC HD via iplayer, I was impressed considering it was 1080P

I just turn notifications off on the apps, reporting the scores and try to stay off socials whilst watching sport, that way the delays are ok with me, rather have the quality if its available.

I watch BBC HDR games. There is a better quality on LG.

Why is there such a difference in quality of picture, as it just says 1080?

How come beeb only show one of the two games shown last night in HDR?

I watch BBC HDR games. There is a better quality on LG.

Why is there such a difference in quality of picture, as it just says 1080?

How come beeb only show one of the two games shown last night in HDR?
Some BBC iplayer games are in HDR(HLG) which will work on HDR TVs and SDR TVs.
On HDR enabled TVs the colour of the image will be enhanced and make it look better than a standard FHD SDR image which you see on all FHD terrestrial free to air channels.
Not sure why they are not showing all the games in HDR(HLG).
Sky also use HDR(HLG) on their 4k UHD channels.

Last edited:
As already mentioned no 4k for Euros and seems to be going same way for UCL etc...seems like a cost cutting exercise and we are going backwards...

Any 4k games for Euros will be upscaled and not actual 4k....BBC games are best as HDR is available ...sadly ITV ain't offering that.....if Euro gam4 option was 4k or none 4k but HDR I would argue HDR is the better pic quality and option.

For BBC HDR its appears to just be apps via the TV...shield and Apple tv don't give you option of HDR on iplayer

I commented in the public chat regarding 4K HDR feeds, while it is true that they are upscaled the bitrate is still much better than a regular 1080p stream.

Here is a small table of all the channels with HDR feeds along with their average bitrate and if the feed had surround sound. The BBC and NPO 1 stream I found were both 1080p but had HLG for HDR

Channel & Country
Average Bitrate
Audio
Sky Sport Uno - Italy​
30 MB/s​
Surround​
Rai - Italy​
20 MB/s​
Surround​
M6 - France​
17.5 MB/s​
Stereo​
Fussball TV 1,2 - Germany​
17.5 MB/s​
Surround​
BBC Iplayer - UK​
10 MB/s​
Stereo​
NPO 1 - Netherlands​
10 MB/s​
Stereo​

There are other channel that are playing the Euros in 4K SDR but I won't add them to keep it brief.

Last edited:
Please do not post these screenshots elsewhere as I am just sharing this to show that there numerous 4K HDR feeds for Euro 2024. I've been muting the center channel on my home theatre system taking in the atmosphere without the commentary from the pundits.

I commented in the public chat regarding 4K HDR feeds, while it is true that they are upscaled the bitrate is still much better than a regular 1080p stream.

Here is a small table of all the channels with HDR feeds along with their average bitrate and if the feed had surround sound. The BBC and NPO 1 stream I found were both 1080p but had HLG for HDR

Channel & Country
Average Bitrate
Audio
Sky Sport Uno - Italy​
30 MB/s​
Surround​
Rai - Italy​
20 MB/s​
Surround​
M6 - France​
17.5 MB/s​
Stereo​
Fussball TV 1,2 - Germany​
17.5 MB/s​
Surround​
BBC Iplayer - UK​
10 MB/s​
Stereo​
NPO 1 - Netherlands​
10 MB/s​
Stereo​

There are other channel that are playing the Euros in 4K SDR but I won't add them for to keep it brief. Here is an album with some of the above channels with the video information overlayed so you can see for yourself.

HLG is used so it can be displayed on unsupported HDR TVs and will just play in SDR.
It’s a pity UEFA decided not have games broadcast in 4k in this day and age.
Hopefully the World Cup will be different.

HLG is used so it can be displayed on unsupported HDR TVs and will just play in SDR.
It’s a pity UEFA decided not have games broadcast in 4k in this day and age.
Hopefully the World Cup will be different.
I'm just using Tivimate on a regular android TV and it switches to the hdr picture profile automatically. If you notice the French feed does not use hlg but pq instead.

HDR: Analyzing PQ and HLG - TM Broadcast International

Perhaps they could be watermarked as Techkings lol - not sure if that breaks any forum or Google Ad rules @HiTecK
Technically these aren't all satellite feeds so I don't know if I posted this in the wrong thread. I've removed the Imgur album for now but can post it again if needed. I know this isn't native 4K but technically fake 4K due to the upscaling. I could easily see the difference from 6-8 feet away between a full HD feed that was being upscaled by the TV when compared to fake 4K feeds since the TV didn't have to perform any processing.

I'm just using Tivimate on a regular android TV and it switches to the hdr picture profile automatically. If you notice the French feed does not use hlg but pq instead.

HDR: Analyzing PQ and HLG - TM Broadcast International
Not tried any of the French feeds and did notice the PQ on your pics.
I will have a play and see what my device and TV reports.
I know HDR PQ is not backward compatible like HDR HLG is.
The BBC actually helped to develop HLG to help with bandwidth and be compatible with SDR TV’s.
Also seen people complaining about HDR on cheaper TVs that the image is too dark.
Due to them not being bright enough to display HDR correctly.

Not tried any of the French feeds and did notice the PQ on your pics.
I will have a play and see what my device and TV reports.
I know HDR PQ is not backward compatible like HDR HLG is.
The BBC actually helped to develop HLG to help with bandwidth and be compatible with SDR TV’s.
Also seen people complaining about HDR on cheaper TVs that the image is too dark.
Due to them not being bright enough to display HDR correctly.
I had to go to picture mode setting to increase brightness from 50 to 80, Backlight & contrast are always set at 100 moved to 95. Sharpness, colour, tint and colour temperature change to what you want. The LG has to be changed for all HDMI, Live tv, BBC Iplayer etc. It memory holds the different settings. HDR was a new setting.

I had to go to picture mode setting to increase brightness from 50 to 80, Backlight & contrast are always set at 100 moved to 95. Sharpness, colour, tint and colour temperature change to what you want. The LG has to be changed for all HDMI, Live tv, BBC Iplayer etc. It memory holds the different settings. HDR was a new setting.
I just use this guys recommendation for picture settings and they suit me but maybe not suit others.
Also I think dull HDR images are mainly down to cheap TVs having poor peak brightness(nits).

LG TV picture settings.
LG 2017-2024 OLEDs - Optimized Settings for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5, Switch, PC and webOS/Movies (SDR, HDR, DV) Sony - Microsoft - Tech

Last edited:
Back