4.2 And Below Softmodding, Less Conflict Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
This Tutorial Will Softmod Your Wii, Therefore Allowing You To Play Backup Copies Of Your Games. Neither I, Nor TechKings Accept Any Responsibility For Any Damage You May Cause To Your Wii.​
IMPORTANT:- YOUR Wii MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

STEP ONE:
Download the Softmod from HERE
There are three packs contained in this download.

Pack 1 Contains Bannerbomb and hackmii installer, We will start here.

If your Wii has 4.1 or 4.2
Instructions :-
Format SD card and copy contents of pack 1 to sd root.
Press the SD icon on the Wii and then insert the sd card
(important not to insert SD card first)
LoadBoot Elf appear,press yes
Install homebrew and bootmii (As both Boot2 and IOS, if possible).
If the Wii freezes, try another Bannerbomb version from the “Bannerbomb Versions” folder.

If your Wii has below 4.1 firmware
Instructions:-
Format SD card and copy contents of pack 1 to sd root.
Click on the circle that says “Wii” on the bottom left of the screen, then choose Data Management, then choose Wii Channels, then choose SD Card tab, insert SD Card to Wii.
LoadBoot Elf appear,press yes
Install homebrew and bootmii(As both Boot2 and IOS, if possible).
If the Wii freezes, try another Bannerbomb version from the “Bannerbomb Versions” folder.

Pack 2 Contains IOS236 installer,CIOS38 rev17, Cios222 installer Hermes

I would recommend a network install on all of these to have most up to date versions and avoid compatibility issues (which is why your Wii has to be connected to the internet). If you wish to install the wads, you will have to get them yourself.

INSTRUCTIONS:-

Format your SD card, copy the contents of pack 2 to the root

First we will install IOS 236.
Open Homebrew channel
Select ios 236 installer
Read start up messages and press 1(wait for it to ask you to press 1 or you will have to restart)
Select network install(download from nus)
Read step 2 to make choice
1-play pirated games
2-only homebrew applications
* One would hope that you would be pushing "2" as this is a tutorial for non-pirates that want to use USB Loaders responsibly.

Second we will install Custom IOS 38

Open Homebrew Channel
Select cios38 rev17 installer
Choose ios 236 for ios installation
Network install
Press A to accept
Press B twice to exit

Third we will install Custom IOS 202/222/223/224
1. Unplug any GameCube memory card or controller you may have plugged in.
2. Remove any disc that may be in the disc drive.
3. Unplug any USB storage device that may be plugged in.
4. Open homebrew Channel and select the cIOS installer.
5. Select IOS236 for install, press the "A" button.

To install IOS202

1. Select custom IOS 202 v65535 to install, press the "A" button.
2. Select IOS base, IOS 60, press the "A" button, wait for download.
3. Press the "1" button to install
4. When completed, the Homebrew Channel will reboot, this is normal operation.

To install IOS222
Open homebrew Channel and select the cIOS installer.
Select IOS236 for install, press the "A" button.

1. Select custom IOS 222 v65535 to install, press the "A" button.
2. Select IOS base, IOS 38 (IOS38 is the only option), press the "A" button.
4. When completed, the Homebrew Channel will reboot.

To install IOS223

1. Select custom IOS 223 v65535 to install, press the "A" button.
2. Select IOS base, IOS 37, press the "A" button, wait for download.
3. Press the "1" button to install.

To install IOS224

1. Select custom IOS 224 v65535 to install, press the "A" button.
2. Select IOS base, IOS 57, press the "A" button.

Open Homebrew channel
Select WAD-Manager_v1.5
Read disclaimer, press A
Select IOS version to use (select 236) press A
Select NAND emulator device, (select disable), press A
Select source device (select Wii SD slot), press A
You now have a list of two wads, uLoade forwarder-UMRD.wad, and CFG USBLoader, select these one at a time, press A.
Select action (select install WAD) press A

Pack 3 contains the CFG Loader and U-Loader.
Format your SD card, copy the contents of pack 3 to the root. This must be kept in your Wii
You now have U-Loader and CFG Configurable loader and you are ready to go. Happy Gaming.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD :download:

This Softmod package was put together with the help of Sinno as we found that there were a lot of problems with the other 4.2 softmod (especially at step 9 and 10). This one should cause less conflict while installing. Much thanks for your help with this and with all other problems that i have had.

Last edited:
Thank you so much wheelo & sinno! I read a bunch of different methods and how tos before coming upon the first 4.2 Softmod, then found out this one. I must say it seems even easier! Going to start the modding now, will post results as soon as I am finished!

Added after 40 minutes:

Okay, I can't get passed step one, boot.elf doesn't come up, just a channel with a grey question mark, And three question marks as its title, and clicking on it will not open it. I am running Firmware 4.2U and am connected to the internet. I also formatted the SD to FAT as well as FAT32, neither made a difference

Last edited:
If you need any help andrew, just shout(y)

For some reason boot.elf isn't loading when i open SD Card tool and then put in the SD Card, just get white question marks

I think it may be the SD Card, its a Lexar Multi-Use 2 gig

Last edited:
is it freezing? if so, just use one of the other bannerbomb versions in the "bannerbomb versions" folder. which firmware is on your Wii? give me as much info of exactly what you are doing/seeing, and we will get you through it. most important thing to do is not to panic

I am running Firmware 4.2U, am connected to the internet. I formatted the SD to FAT as well as FAT32, neither made a difference, When I open the SD menu and insert my sd card, it loads, then a grey channel icon comes up, and the title below it is "???" the boot dol/elf menu doesn't pop up. But there is no freezing, i can click on the channel, open it, and then it wont let me start it, still no freezing.

just so we are not misunderstanding each other, you format the SD card,you add the "private" folder and the boot.elf file, you then turn on the Wii, and in the bottom left of the screen is a SD symbol, you open this, a grey screen with about 12 channel squares and a white edge on the bottom that says "SD card menu" appears,then put in the SD card, it should then say "loading from the sd card...", then give you the load boot/elf option.

just so we are not misunderstanding each other, you format the SD card,you add the "private" folder and the boot.elf file, you then turn on the Wii, and in the bottom left of the screen is a SD symbol, you open this, a grey screen with about 12 channel squares and a white edge on the bottom that says "SD card menu" appears,then put in the SD card, it should then say "loading from the sd card...", then give you the load boot/elf option.

That is exactly what I am doing, except the boot/elf option doesn't happen. one of the squares turn a different grey, sort of like a tv fuzz with a question mark in it. When I click on it, its name is "???". I have the options to "start" or "Back to SD Menu", Start doesn't work. I am going to go out and buy a new SD Card. According to a google search with a wikibrew result (I can`t post links), my SD card (Lexar Multi-Use) may not be compatible. I will update when I get back, thanks!

Just back from the store, bought a 2GB SanDisk SD Card, formatted to FAT32, put the Private Folder and Boot.elf on, popped it into the wii, to the same problem.

Just downloaded a different homebrew install and it worked, can I still follow your instructions after part 1?

Last edited:
yes, instal homebrew, then continue on as if you got part one to work. when you open the homwbrew channel, it may offer you a newer version, you can accept this(only in the homebrew channel, if nintendo offer a newer software, just say no)

Sorry i'm late to this problem,i have ps3 issue's,if the .elf file does'nt load change it to .dol and that should clear the problem,for some .elf will work and for others .dol will work

Thanks! I am currently installing IOS 236, but am stuck on pressing 1 or 2, what changes are made? I don't want to make the wrong choice

Added after 47 minutes:

All has been installed correctly, now I need to wait to get the external harddrive from my sister's place tomorrow. Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
click the option that says you don't want piracy or to play pirate games, option 2 if i am not mistaken

click the option that says you don't want piracy or to play pirate games, option 2 if i am not mistaken

Okay, so I can play Snes Nes and Genesis games from the SD card by means of homebrew. But opening uLoader freezes the wii. What have I done wrong? Or do I need that priiloader thing?

can you open the CFG channel, i am presuming that everything else has gone according to plan. It is not necessary to have priiloader, but it is advisable. As is a copy of your NAND settings.

can you open the CFG channel, i am presuming that everything else has gone according to plan. It is not necessary to have priiloader, but it is advisable. As is a copy of your NAND settings.

I will try that when I get home. I couldn't install bootmii as Boot2, could that be the problem?

Added after 7 minutes:

uloader will freeze if you have'nt attached a external hdd

Okay, I was testing it out with an 8GB memory stick/flash drive with an ISO on there. So that can't be done?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back