8 Sat connections

jonmala

Hi,

Looking to connect 8 rooms with sat cable.
i have seen you can have an lnb with 4 connections.
What are the options for connecting all 8?

Also does 1 tv need 2 connections if i am looking to record as well?

Thank in advance for any help offered.

An octo LNB would feed all 8 rooms with a single feed but wouldn't be very good for recording.

A unicable LNB might be better and would allow multiple recordings on each device although you would need boxes or TV's with unicable compatible tuners, such as the Gigablue UE 4K, unless using the legacy ports.

An octo LNB would feed all 8 rooms with a single feed but wouldn't be very good for recording.

A unicable LNB might be better and would allow multiple recordings on each device although you would need boxes or TV's with unicable compatible tuners, such as the Gigablue UE 4K, unless using the legacy ports.

why will the octo LNB not be good for recording?

There is no such things as "unicable compatible tuners". Please do not mix up unicable LNB and FBC tuners. They are two different technologies that work hand in hand. Even a DM500 about 15 years old works with unicable

EDIT:
You are correct, a unicable LNB would be better than an Octo LNB as you can use splitters.

Last edited:
@jonmala
What is the end result. Put your intended final layout on the table so people do not have to get what you want to end up with. Maybe your final result can be achieved using a different method/devices to what you had planned.

Do you understand how recordings work in terms of transponders?

@jonmala
What is the end result. Put your intended final layout on the table so people do not have to get what you want to end up with. Maybe your final result can be achieved using a different method/devices to what you had planned.

Do you understand how recordings work in terms of transponders?

no idea how it works in terms of transponders.

8 connections required, 6 will be just the freesat you get on a tv, 2 will be having the facility to record.
I think thats the end game for me.

If you have one satellite wire and not using FBC tuners, you can record/and view whatever channels are on that transponder. Sometimes it will be one channel and sometimes it will be many more. Easiest way to check on an enigma2 receiver is to select current transponder. You do not need separate cables for recording. At least on Enigma2 receivers, you do not.

I presume:
You are saying you have 6 TVs with connections for satellite dishes, as well as aerials. Is this correct?
You are not using any receiver boxes? Is this correct?
You have already run signal wires to these locations? If so, please describe the layout of wiring. i.e How many cables in total? Do they go to a central location in your house (e.g loft) or do they go to where the satellite dish is?

Last edited:
Yes the old skool works as i have an octo on my sky dish 28.2 and twin feeds for sitting room , extension , bedroom , kitchen ? and might be one in attic.

+ other feeds from other sats also in sitting room , extension , bedroom.

Motorised quad also feeding , extension , sitting room , bedroom

Saorview outdoor aerial with multiple feeds to bedroom , kitchen , extension , sitting room.

Yes i have diseqc switches

As i call it a shit show of many cable runs and not organized and its bulky.

Might you be upgrading in the future or adding more sats and more cables as more holes needed.

I do record a lot of stuff with 1 and 2 tb hdds internal and externally powered.

If i knew what i dont know now i would still be pulling wires here and there and if installing 2 cables insert a pull through cable or nylon to aid your next one.

He can use an Octo universal LNB if the wires for satellite signal are run to where the dish is. Without any splitters boxes etc.

If OP has just moved into a property, the likelihood is that the wires are run to a central location.

i want to run to a central location so i dont have 8 wires on show to the lnb.
If i was to do this what else would i need?

You are not answering all the questions. If something does not make sense, please say so. Get it right at the design/planning stage, otherwise you will be wasting money and effort.

Please confirm/answer:
1. Are 4 cables from LNB to central location acceptable for your plans?
2. Will the TVs just be using satellite signal? i.e they will not be be using aerial/TV signal?
3. Do these TV's support unicable/Jess/DSCR? Check the manuals/menu please.
4. Are you running just one co-axial/signal cable to each room from the central location?
5. Will you have ethernet cables do these rooms? Will these ethernet cables be going to the same central location?
6. Will you be using other devices? Satellite, firecube, android/kodi box? If so, which one/s?

Last edited:
Still at the design stage so hopefully can get all this now.

No, need 8
2 rooms will have zgemmas, all others will have freesat that comes with the tv

2. Will the TVs just be using satellite signal? i.e they will not be be using aerial/TV signal?
If thats an option I can do

Will be buying new TV's

4. Are you running just one co-axial/signal cable to each room from the central location?
Thats what i plan to do so i dont have 8 cables all outside

5. Will you have ethernet cables do these rooms? Will these ethernet cables be going to the same central location?
Yes

6. Will you be using other devices? Satellite, firecube, android/kodi box? If so, which one/s?
firecubes,

No, need 8
1A: I was asking about between LNB and central location. You already said you cannot have 8 wires to LNB.

2 rooms will have zgemmas, all others will have freesat that comes with the tv
Will be buying new TV's
All TVs support terrestrial. Obviously you need to have an aerail and good reception.
Zgemmas can use unicabe. So fine. But say which models. I.e how many satellite tuners and tererrestrial tuners. It isn't a big issue as you can use tuner from remote box. And also comment 6.
2A. Do you have an outside aerial and have good reception?

3A. Once agin, you need to check if they support Unicable/DSCr/Jess. If they do, you can use unicable LNB. If not, you will have to use legacy/universal.
This brings us back to question 1. If you can have 4 wires from LNB to central location, you can use unicable/dscr switch that also has universal/legacy outputs

firecubes,
You can use the Kodi plugin to watch from remote satellite boxes on your home network too.

in terms of the 8 cables, is there something out there where the 8 cables plug into and then a single cable goes to the lnb outside. bit like a junction box i would say (thats the best way i can describe it)

in terms of the 8 cables, is there something out there where the 8 cables plug into and then a single cable goes to the lnb outside. bit like a junction box i would say (thats the best way i can describe it)
Yes, it is called a powerpass splitter. You can use one wire from a unicable LNB from dish and then use the splitter. You can use more than one splitter if that is easier. Your TVs must must support unicable to work in such setups. Hence the repeated questions.

Good luck with your endeavour.

Back