A PVR Issue

drowzee1872

I have a seagate 500GB ecternal drive attached to my BM5000s. It records everything I ask it too, but recently playback has become problematic.

When playing back a movie or tv show, anything really, it becomes very glitchy. Stops, whereby the picture goes and comes back. There is sometimes a loss of sound and the it returns. Little stuttering faults. It is not a constant problem either.

It is sometimes worse when I have a HD channel tuned in via the box, and then go to watch something recorded. But it still happens if I had an SD channel, so I have ruled out some sort of overload there.....

If I take the drive to my pc, the recorded files playback perfectly. So it's not a recording issue.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

I use Toshiba 500Gb USB 3.0 with no issues, connected in the rear port,
so yours should be similar by the sound of things.

Also running the latest firmware, as mentioned it's worth reflashing

I was having problems with my box regularly glitching and found out it was because I had an expired line still active in the 9991 menu. Deleted that and it's been rock steady ever since but did show the same symptoms as you are seeing. That was watching live and on playback though

---------- Post Merged at 07:40 PM ----------

Also, I would try plugging the drive into the other USB port on the blade and trying another drive to see if that resolves the issue so you can narrow the problem down. Also re format your hard drive

Thanks for all the advice. I believe I have now got to the bottom of it.

I would try reflashing the firmware in the first instance

I reflashed the "9991" firmware and this did not resolve the glitching when playing back recordings.

Also, I would try plugging the drive into the other USB port on the blade and trying another drive to see if that resolves the issue so you can narrow the problem down. Also re format your hard drive

I tried the front usb port no improvement. I reformatted the drive using the BM5000s menu. No dice, still intermittent glitching.

Eventually, I reformatted the drive from NTFS to Fat32 using my PC, together with changing the recording type from Porgam to TS.... hey presto perfect recordings!.

Thanks everyone.

If you've an old sly box kicking about, could you smash it open and use the HDD form that somehow with the Blade???

If you've an old sly box kicking about, could you smash it open and use the HDD form that somehow with the Blade???

Yes, but you'd need a 3.5 inch drive caddy. Open the sky box to see if it's ide or sata connection then get a caddy from ebay

To be honest, I'd get a portable hard drive that runs off the usb power. Much less hassle. You can pick up a 1tb one for about £40. If it's an old one, your sky box may only have an 80gb drive and teh caddy will likely cost you about £10 so for the difference you'd have a much larger drive and not worry about another cable

Back