About to take the plunge (Newbie alert!!)

drt1710

Hi all, first off, brilliant forum, been reading loads of posts last few days and got loads of info, thank you.

After much research, decided to buy the H2s. Couple of questions if it's ok?

I assume that I am better off buying from the official site a bare box and sorting it out myself, rather than buying from one of the groups that supply the box all set up with the gift already loaded and charge quite a premium for the privilege? It's quite a saving from what I've seen. I already know not to buy from a well known auction website lol.

Would buying it from the official site, then applying one of the 2 backups in the sticky section be all I need to do to get up and running? Well except for adding the line?

I don't have access to cable so I'm looking at a dish install. Would I be better advised to go with cline or nline? Is there much difference in quality and price? I have seen how to request a line thanks to this fine forum.

I'm sure once I've made my purchase I'll be asking more lol.

Cheers

The bare-box vs fully loaded is entirely up to you and depends on what you perceive as more important - money or time.
Personally I bought a bare-box and installed WhooshBuild following the instructions in the sticky. Took 20 minutes at most and was easy to install so I would go with that option every time.

Once you have the box, you install the build and that is it. Provided you have your "gift" you should be good to go.
If you want to record programmes you will need a USB stick, or (preferably) a large HDD. I have a WD Passport drive and it works a treat.

One thing to bear in mind when installing, if your USB device is USB3 it may only work in the rear port.

Other than that, enjoy.

Back