Absolute beginner to this.!

harry69

I hope this in the right section.
And im sure it a question thats been asked a million time here too.
Story is im absolutely fed up of virmin pulling my pants down.
Im going to be paying pretty much 95 quid a month after the next price hike of 3.50.
Its becoming a principle now.
And last week at work i was moaning about it to a pal, and he said, get a box like mine.
I knew loads of people who had them years ago, and though that after nagra 3 it was done for, but he was just laughing saying his is great.

So ive done a little research, and though id come here and ask you guys the question.
which is, where do i bloody start..
We have a tivo downstairs and the HD box up stairs, so i was thinking of telling them to stuff it. just keep the broadband obviously and go from there..
But i have no clue where or what to do.
What box or boxes to go for, how to set them up, where to get them from without getting had over and how to keep on top of it all.

so any advice you guys can throw my way would be immensely appreciated.

again im sure im asking a broad sweeping questions, but im a little daunted by it all.
ask me to fit your flooring im you man, but this i need your help.(y)
cheers folks.
harry..

Ok ive had lots of views but no bites.
I guess, im asking the wrong questions.
On further reading. the miraclebox, thats around 90 quid seems ok.
and i found a thread with quite a lot of info on how to set it up, ie flashing the firmware and getting a nline and all the rest.
im sure once i get my head round all that, then i can sort it out..

If i get two boxes, with i need to line subs?
And as for virmin, do i get rid of them totally on the tv side, or just keep them on a minimum package.?
seem like dumbass questions to you guys im sure, but this afternoon was literally my first dip into this.
ta folks.
harry.

miraclboxes will do the job for vm make sure you get cable tuner version

most lines come with 1 for each box and some charge extra for multi room

You've come to the right place. I was in the same position a few months back. You'll learn loads reading through the forums here.

The type of box you want will all depend on if you want to record and watch TV at same time. If you do you'll need a box with more then one tuner.

As for setting them up, there is a decent guide on here by bees. If you get stuck there's plenty of people that will help.

Edit. Just seen your next post, you will just need to keep broadband. Your boxes will need to be connected via ethernet cable or wifi.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
keep broadband and you can get two or three boxes and ask for a multiroom nline and use a splitter.

Many thanks for the replies folks.
I think when vm put the box upstairs they ran another cable from the outside box, so would i still need a splitter and if so where the heck does that go.
I know i need to keep the broadband, thats one thing i do like about vm.
and i think i had a quick look at bees setup guide, and a lot of the posts that followed were great too, just to help wrap my head around it all.

do these boxes connect hard wired or is wifi good enough.?
i know hardwire would be best, my pc has always been this way.
but would it be ok to run these via wifi..?

again many many thanks guys.

always try and connect via ethernet if you can, but if you need to go wifi use homeplugs.
i think if you have 2 feeds you won't need a splitter (not 100% sure about this but more clued up members will confirm i'm sure)

Here is some basics to get your head around things.

A Buyers Guide To The Best Box

Guide How to set up an E2 combo box with vix image

Miraclebox is a decent choice to start with, get one going then if it's for you then look at some of the higher end boxes.

Splitters, you need a VM feed to your router plus a feed to your box. If you have that you don't need a splitter.

Ethernet cable is always the best, if it's too messy, go for a pair of homeplugs

World of Sat for your box, make sure it says DVB-C (cable tuner), order it flashed with Openvix.

Expect to pay a decent server about £80 per year, in two months your set up will have paid for itself

There is a request thread here

Good Luck (y)

Last edited:
Thanks bees. It was the guide you made that started to make a bit of sense of it all.
Thanks for the reply here too mate.
And everyone. great forum and it's appreciated loads.
I'll be back soon enough when I get going ..and then get stuck..lol
Cheers.

A good enigma 2 box with twin tuners and an internal hard drive for your recording m8, the a cheaper version for upstairs...

Back