Cable Active virgin connection?

johnjohns

To use zgemma with a line, do i need an active virgin connection/subscription (broadband/tv package), or i can use an old inactive virgin coax socket in my house that the previous owner used to use?

I was under the impression that coax carries both tv/internet. However due to research, folks have suggested to have atleast a basic subscription.

Technically you don't need a sub but you will need the feed to the property to still be live, I.E. still connected at the green cabinet in the street, mine was not live so I took their broadband only to ensure a live connection and used a splitter to feed the box and router. Most take the broadband to ensure the feed is kept live as you need broadband anyway.

Technically you don't need a sub but you will need the feed to the property to still be live, I.E. still connected at the green cabinet in the street, mine was not live so I took their broadband only to ensure a live connection and used a splitter to feed the box and router. Most take the broadband to ensure the feed is kept live as you need broadband anyway.
The feed hasn't been used by us, the previous owner of the house used to use it over 3 years ago.

Supplier of line says feed is always active even if you don't subscribe to vrgin. Is there a way I can test if the feed is still active, what do I need to borrow from someone, or buy for cheap to test the socket?

Someone's Tivo? Apparently if you plug it in to your tv aerial socket and scan to see if it picks up your local BBC SD channel then its still live, but I have never tried it.
Both mine and my mates where off at the green cabinet in the street.

Someone's Tivo? Apparently if you plug it in to your tv aerial socket and scan to see if it picks up your local BBC SD channel then its still live, but I have never tried it.
Both mine and my mates where off at the green cabinet in the street.

TV would need to have a cable tuner though wouldn't it?

There is something called QuickStart where vrgin doesn't require engineer visit if socket has been used within last 3 years.
Was yours and your friend's used recently? In other words, are you QuickStart enabled?

Mine was working then went off after I cancelled, I then ordered the self install broadband and it did not connect, a virgin technician then called out after I logged a service call and he said it needed reconnected in the cabinet, mate was exactly the same...

Mine was working then went off after I cancelled, I then ordered the self install broadband and it did not connect, a virgin technician then called out after I logged a service call and he said it needed reconnected in the cabinet, mate was exactly the same...

So if I do new order with an engineer visit, they install, then i cancel within cooling off period, does that mean they disconnect again at the CAB?

There is no definite answer, you can try that and see, I just think its easier to take their broadband to ensure the feed stays live, every single case will be different, of course if I was selling you a box to make profit then I would tell you that it will be fine, but I'm not and wont lol.....all I will say is I'm certain vermin knew I was using their signal with no sub and disconnected me.

You can arrange a technician install and if its not connected in the cab the technician will connect it.

There is no definite answer, you can try that and see, I just think its easier to take their broadband to ensure the feed stays live, every single case will be different, of course if I was selling you a box to make profit then I would tell you that it will be fine, but I'm not and wont lol.....all I will say is I'm certain vermin knew I was using their signal with no sub and disconnected me.

You can arrange a technician install and if its not connected in the cab the technician will connect it.

Lol how would they know.
I'm quite happy with my phoneline and bband at the moment so don't really want to get virgin bband.
virgin traffic shapes, my current provider doesn't at all.

Lol how would they know.
I'm quite happy with my phoneline and bband at the moment so don't really want to get virgin bband.
virgin traffic shapes, my current provider doesn't at all.
What did you do in the end?

I had an active line without any tv/Bb service from vermin for 18 months at least. But only Had a Zgemma working for 2 months and now Line has been disconnected at cab. Have they been able to tell I'm using it? What if I sign up get it reconnected and cancel in cooling off period?

What did you do in the end?

I had an active line without any tv/Bb service from vermin for 18 months at least. But only Had a Zgemma working for 2 months and now Line has been disconnected at cab. Have they been able to tell I'm using it? What if I sign up get it reconnected and cancel in cooling off period?

No they can't tell you've been using it.
You can sign up to a basic service and then cancel within 14 days

are
No they can't tell you've been using it.
You can sign up to a basic service and then cancel within 14 days

are you sure they cant tell?? reaaon i ask is line was active for 18 month before i started using it. then within 2 months of connecting zgemma the line was deactivated. what other reason
can explain this occurence?

Your line may have been disconnected because the engineer might have had to put it to another property with an active service etc usually happens if theres a signal or power issue etc :(y):

yes but is it just a coincidence that was the case just 2 months after i have my zgemma connected ? considering i know it was active for at least 18 months prior to that without a subscription

It could be but very much doubt it etc another thing have you had any work done in the garden or around your feed from the grate on the street outside your property reason i ask a friend had a fencing company in and they damaged the cable whilst digging in his garden and nobody knew it was damaged till virmin sent out an engineer

no work done at all by me or neighbours. looks like ill sign up and see what happens...any good packages from them at the moment?

Back