Another what cable box question !!!!!

whackball

Fellow techies I apologise in advance.

I`ve looked back through some of the other threads similar to this but am still a little unsure....

Plan is to move from Sat to Cable and would like recommendations for a cable box

* where I can watch one channel and record another

* where I will have only one cable input to the box so I will need the box to split signal internally to allow recording (did I phrase this right)

* Internal Hard Drive where possible but maybe not essential if external HD does as good a job

* Can take IPTV plugin

Will be using for cable in Southern Ireland.

Appreciate all the help as I am new to the cable scene I guess.

rgds,

Whackball

Agreed technomate - This is only 1 of a few Units which has a Cable Twin Tuner so you only require a single feed.

Been running for a few months and would highly recommend - Also can house an internal HDD .

Yeah, external only, meant to mention that but forgot to type it.

Main difference is the processor speed, Vu is very quick, TM is average.

So it's a trade off between Speed and type of Hdd really

Yeah, external only, meant to mention that but forgot to type it.

Main difference is the processor speed, Vu is very quick, TM is average.

So it's a trade off between Speed and type of Hdd really

Decisions , Decisions

NO HDD faster processor - VU

HDD and slower processor - Technomate

another factor is price for you to consider.

I like the solo love the quickness of it didnt mind the adding an external hdd as it's well hidden from site in our cabnet

I like the solo love the quickness of it didnt mind the adding an external hdd as it's well hidden from site in our cabnet

For me I don't like external drives.

The Nano is compact and tidy as HDD is internal.

Speed wise not really had a issue but agree VU would be quicker.

Overall for me Price - Technomate is great value.

I've got this technomate box but with 2 X sat tuners, one of the sat tuners was optional which I think I could replace with the 2 Z cable tuner and leave the single sat tuner alone so effectively becomes a triple tuner of I'm right? I've not even set box up yet went for Sat tuners as didn't think easy to set up with cable?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've got this technomate box but with 2 X sat tuners, one of the sat tuners was optional which I think I could replace with the 2 Z cable tuner and leave the single sat tuner alone so effectively becomes a triple tuner of I'm right? I've not even set box up yet went for Sat tuners as didn't think easy to set up with cable?

Good Point if you go with the VM twin tuner you will also have a sky tuner available

Would the sat run side by side with the twin cable tuner* understand I'd need two lines, would there be two separate epg's?

Would the sat run side by side with the twin cable tuner* understand I'd need two lines, would there be two separate epg's?

I have never used both services at the same time, would be interesting to get an understanding.

The Xtrend 8500 does a great job for me. I've got two cable tuners installed, with a single feed into one of them and a connector cable from tuner 1 to tuner 2. Internal hard drive capability too.
Works flawlessly and the box is quick.

Generally you put two providers in the Autobouquet menu

Sky and VM

You then get two lots of bouquets ( groups such as sport, films, kids etc)

One set will read from the sat tuner, the other from the cable tuner.

Generally you pay for a sat and cable line separately but there are some servers out there
that supply both from one line. Might not necessarily work out any cheaper and if the server goes down you loose all the service.

If you have two lines and one server goes down you will still be able to view through the other.

Didn't mention the Xtrend as it has had recording issues, not sure if they are resolved, maybe somebody will clarify.

They where waiting on a driver update I believe.

Last edited:

Yes, if you set the box up that way - otherwise there is an XML file created by dsayers that allows you to mix the HD channels into the satellite bouquets so there's a single EPG.

Generally you put two providers in the Autobouquet menu

Sky and VM

You then get two lots of bouquets ( groups such as sport, films, kids etc)

One set will read from the sat tuner, the other from the cable tuner.

Generally you pay for a sat and cable line separately but there are some servers out there
that supply both from one line. Might not necessarily work out any cheaper and if the server goes down you loose all the service.

If you have two lines and one server goes down you will still be able to view through the other.

Didn't mention the Xtrend as it has had recording issues, not sure if they are resolved, maybe somebody will clarify.

They where waiting on a driver update I believe.

Driver update was solved several months ago so not an issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I had read that but another member posted on here last week
that it was still a problem and nobody corrected it, I don't have an Xtrend so didn't know
what the true situation was.

Back