Any Better Box Then The BM7000s?

intel

I brought the Blade Media BM7000s a couple of days ago and can't say that I am overly impressed with the box, whilst the picture quality is
good and it's a HD box, it still lacks a few features:

Firstly there is only one USB port and that is at the back of the box, there don't seem to be any at the front...not a great idea for a top box
Also the EPG does not work 100% and reading through the forums there don't seem to be any known cure for this problem, some work some don't.

The box is on the latest patched file - BM7000s Oct 12 2012 89x

Whilst I have only been using it for a couple of days and there may be other features that don't work 100% as well as features that do
work well - is there a better box?

If there is I need:
To be able to watch HD channels

To record to a usb hard drive / stick and also have more than one USB port (and a must is the front usb port)

A EPG that works for every box...not just some boxes as with the 7000s

Also I noticed (and I ain't connected a hard drive yet) is that the hard drive has to be formatted to FAT32 and I thought that fat32 only
supports 4gig fles, but most MKV files are much much larger then 4gig, will the 7000s have problems in playing these files that are
larger than 4gig files from a hard drive / stick?

Whilst the 7000s has a LAN connection it doesn't seem to have the ability for a network wireless connection.

Is there a better box or it a case that the up-sides of the box far outweigh the downsides of the box?

Thanks

I'm using a 600GB HDD it works no problem.
Buy a USB extension cable then the USB port will be at the front

I'm using a 600GB HDD it works no problem.
Buy a USB extension cable then the USB port will be at the front

And you don't have any problems in playing MKV files that are larger then 4gig and your EPG works ok?

i had my blade for over 2 years m8, i can watch any hd channels on it without any problems, but if u have a krapp sub then your channels may freeze or glitch, and this is nothing to do with the blade box, it will be your sub/c-line supplier.

i have a 500GB sata hard drive attached via usb in fat32 format, records with no problem, i can playback my recording with no problems.
My 7day epg works great, mkv files works a treat.

download a fat32 formatter programme from this forum (I think its somewere in download section), then u will be able to format hard drives in fat32, that are larger than 4GB, hope that helps m8.

i wouldnt change my blade box for any other.

Last edited:
it all depends on how much you wants to pay and there are better boxes like the now old vu+duo original not clone crap as they have twin tuner boxes so will allow you to watch one channel and record others on different tps or sats,dont think blade can record and watch 2 different tps.

And you don't have any problems in playing MKV files that are larger then 4gig and your EPG works ok?
From Blade Media
How do I play MKV & Xvid files ?
Press the F1 Key or the PLAY key on the remote control.
This will bring up the list of all theplayable files on your storage device.
Then simply select the file by highlighing it and pressing OK to start the video.

but if u have a krapp sub then your channels may freeze or glitch, and this is nothing to do with the blade box, it will be your sub/c-line supplier.

I don't have any problems with the box freezing etc, I took out a months sub to "Test Drive The c-line" first :)
I think the bigger problem seems to be the EPG and has lac pointed out I could buy a USB extension lead that will bring the connection to the front, I assume that there is no plug in wireless dongle/device that will work with the Blade?

http://www.techkings.org/blade-media-satellite/36291-cant-get-7-day-epg.html

I think you can buy a wireless bridge that you configure on your PC then plug into the Blade ethernet conection that then gives you wifi. They are quite cheap on EBAY. I used to have a Blade it lasted 3 weeks before i sold it and got a VU+ Ultimo never looked back. It does everything without any hassle. I got sick of the EPG not working on the Blade.

Whatever box u use problems with epg will always be there but will get better,vu,etc,etc,etc, i have tried all types of boxes,if u want perfection u could pay sky etc over £100 per month. Thats your choice.but for what we get its a bargain and we are better off and not being ripped off.Think hard before wasteing money trying all types of boxes..You came to c/s to save money.

OK, lets say there is a program on 10-11am, (the first program)the epg shows title/name of program and in the description box at the top of the screen it also tells you whats going on in that episode.

It is the same for a program from 11-11.30am for example.It will display the name and description(the second program)

When you scroll to the next program say, that starts at 11.30 - 12 for instance(the third program)

The description for that episode does not display, it stays on the previous programs description.

If you scroll even further ahead to say 8pm the description for that program will still only show the second program in the list description.

Just as a final note this happens in real time so if it was 4pm now then lets say the 4pm and 5pm details will be shown but anything after that the program name is listed but the description for any program on that particular chanel will be the 5pm one.

Think thats about it !!! ROFL

I posted this back in march and still don't think there is a solution.

It hasn't been a problem from day to day use to be honest
it was just something I noticed when I first bought the box

Solution would be nice but I don't loose sleep over it.
I am very pleased with it overall

for what the box is it delivers on its price of £150 and entry level. The EPG is something you have to live with as i have slowly realised and i think most blade owners have. I doubt if future updates will solve the now and next only programme descriptions on the 7 day EPG. Any one who thinks they will get a Sly box level of service will be dissapointed. The blade has improved vastly from its predecessor the BM500s and it is simple to set up. BM500s was a linux receiver and as a newbie i do not know the difference or the pros and cons of linux vs lan receiver perhaps someone here can explain. With a good sub/ccline you cant really go wrong and i be damned before i'll pay for a Sly multiroom subscription. i have one Sly box subscription and thats all Sly's getting from me.

Last edited:
The EPG is something you have to live with as i have slowly realised and i think most blade owners have.

I think I have realised that as well, but this is my first Sat box, I got fed up with the Starview team and all their broken promises, so it was time to move on, so I had a dish fitted and brought the Blade box. At least with a Sat box if a C-Line ain't for you then you can try another one, but you cant do this on cable, there ain't the choice there as there are only two supplies of boxes.

The C-Line I have at present is good and not had any problems with it, but as this was my first attempt on the Sat side I brought a month with the option of buying a year's sub after the first month, which on the past few days performance seems likely that I will sign up for the year.

Apart from the EPG and the USB being at the back of the box (easily solvable I know) the Blade has been working ok, and the picture quality is good as well, I did manage to get the EPG yesterday after updating the EPG twice on video channel 5 (this was after reading some posts on another forum about the EPG problem) but it's gone this morning which I guess is because the box was switched off during the night.

Someone posted about the VU+ Ultimo, which looks a good box, but I couldn't see one for sell for less then £300.00 which is way
more then I want to pay.

Thanks to everyone that posted, for now I am going to keep the Blade box and the EPG problem is not the end of the world I suppose and at least you can connect a hard drive to the Blade and record to it.

(at worst case I guess / hope that I would get £100+ back if I put it on Ebay) also as I have a Quad LNB fitted, I am looking at an F3 for the spare room - after reading some posts the F3 seems to be a no frills HD box, might be wrong but these seem to sell for £50 - £60 on Ebay, which is fine for the spare room, but its nowhere good as the Blade and they are much bigger in size as well compared to the Blade.

Thanks

If you have just moved from starview I would have thought you
would have been grateful to receive a picture, never mind an EPG lollol

If i where you I would just run with the box for a few months
I am sure you will be impressed. (y)

Having gone through loads of sat boxes over the years you can trust me when I say that the Blade is an awesome box.
For me the EPG works almost 100%. The only channels that I don't get any for are channels like Africa TV etc, which aren't part of the Sky lineup, so I guess aren't actually in the data stream at all, and I guess not really blades fault.

Don't forget that if you put a USB stick in the back it will save your epg to the stick when you put the box into standby and load it back in again when you turn it on.

Most other sat boxes out there only ever give you Now and Next, and you have to visit each channel individually to even get that.

Stick with it and wait till you start uncovering little gems like Videoshare and the really useful Blade online channel updating. :)

Brickie says Having gone through loads of sat boxes over the years
Most other sat boxes out there only ever give you Now and Next, and you have to visit each channel individually to even get that.
You obviously have'nt had a VU+ box
The the original question was Any Better Box Then The BM7000s?s and the answer is YES

Hi fizzz,

The single tuner is about an extra £50 as for as I can tell,
What do u get extra ?

Friend wants a box and was going to set up a blade for him, would be interested
to know the difference

EPG IS ON 11•777 GHz. or Go to CH - ( 7 day EPG download ) and leave there for 5 or 10 mins or so and EPG will update.

Back