Are all the HD channels available using a cable line?

t3rminal

TK Veteran
I am currently trying to figure out whether to go down the Sly or Virmin route. I know you can only get the FTA HD Channels with the Sly lines and you can get more with the Virmin lines but I am not sure if this means all available HD channels including the Sly Sports etc or a just a selection.

All HD channels should be available, whatever advertised by virmin. Note box office on virmin is not in HD.

My advice for you is to take minimum 3 days test line. Majority of resellers have access to panels with one day test lines. No point paying middleman.

Before choosing server my advice is to also test channels such as Euronews, Al jezeera Arabic etc. These channels tend not to be stored in cache so therefore local card would be required to clear channels. Thus proving whether or not server has local cards or not.

All HD channels should be available, whatever advertised by virmin. Note box office on virmin is not in HD.

My advice for you is to take minimum 3 days test line. Majority of resellers have access to panels with one day test lines. No point paying middleman.

Before choosing server my advice is to also test channels such as Euronews, Al jezeera Arabic etc. These channels tend not to be stored in cache so therefore local card would be required to clear channels. Thus proving whether or not server has local cards or not.

That's what I wanted to hear Sounds like Virmin is the way to go

When you talk about testing for local cards, do you mean testing whether the server I am connected to has the physical card in their box or is reselling their connection?

That's what I wanted to hear  Sounds like Virmin is the way to go 

When you talk about testing for local cards, do you mean testing whether the server I am connected to has the physical card in their box or is reselling their connection?

i should have clarified. Alot of servers claim to have local cards, when infact they just resell cache so have limited control over server and are only able to clear channels that are stored in cache from other servers. That is how all the £10 servers exist and cheap cable servers exist. Dont get me wrong cache is good, but you also need real cards. Therefore test channels that people rarely watch and see if they clear, al jezeera arabic, eurosports etc are good channels to test.

Most of the channels are in hd there are a few missing but all sport and sky cinema are hd, you don't get Atlantic on cable but that's not a problem for me

Tried a few cable servers the one am on now is by far the best i have tried. Try a few choose for yourself

Tried a few cable servers the one am on now is by far the best i have tried. Try a few choose for yourself

Couldn't agree more dillyp, try a few and pick whichever suits you. There's also the issue on price, why pay for example £80 a year for the same quality you can get for half the price. Anyone involved in forums can see that prices differ remarkably when seen on another forum, that is fact! Tech kings is probably number 1 in terms of google search and IMHO if you are punting they should be the same as any other forum your on. I think in general terms the first post by Wheelo on each thread whether sky or cable gives the best guidance and if you follow his advice you shouldn't be too far away from the best service.

i should have clarified. Alot of servers claim to have local cards, when infact they just resell cache so have limited control over server and are only able to clear channels that are stored in cache from other servers. That is how all the £10 servers exist and cheap cable servers exist. Dont get me wrong cache is good, but you also need real cards. Therefore test channels that people rarely watch and see if they clear, al jezeera arabic, eurosports etc are good channels to test.

Sounds good thanks. What you say makes sense to me. Why would you want a middle man when you can go straight to the source.

Most of the channels are in hd there are a few missing but all sport and sky cinema are hd, you don't get Atlantic on cable but that's not a problem for me

I pretty much get all my content that is aired on Atlantic through other means anyway so thats not a big issue for me. If it does however, I am going to get a combo box so can get a Sly line in future if I need.

Is it as easy as moving from one test line to another until you find one thats stable for you?

Couldn't agree more dillyp, try a few and pick whichever suits you. There's also the issue on price, why pay for example £80 a year for the same quality you can get for half the price. Anyone involved in forums can see that prices differ remarkably when seen on another forum, that is fact! Tech kings is probably number 1 in terms of google search and IMHO if you are punting they should be the same as any other forum your on. I think in general terms the first post by Wheelo on each thread whether sky or cable gives the best guidance and if you follow his advice you shouldn't be too far away from the best service.

I've not done much searching for lines yet so no idea what prices range from and to. I've put more research into the box TBH to make sure I get that right first. It took me ages to find just the one forum and then found loads in the space of about a week just from researching specific terms etc.

Last edited:
Sounds good thanks. What you say makes sense to me. Why would you want a middle man when you can go straight to the source.

I pretty much get all my content that is aired on Atlantic through other means anyway so thats not a big issue for me. If it does however, I am going to get a combo box so can get a Sly line in future if I need.

Is it as easy as moving from one test line to another until you find one thats stable for you?

t3rminal, re: your last point on test hopping, be very careful when doing this. There are many who have taken tests only to be fleeced when subbing for example for the year. If your happy with the test, your looking for the connection to be extended and not replaced with another one.

This is really good advice, especially the price part, Techkings is full of easy pray for servers to sell to as most are new to this and don't really know any better, yet! It is fact about being different prices for same service on other sites.

It is just a case of trying different lines until your happy with the complete package, including support, price and performance.

Post in cable line wanted and make sure your inbox is empty as you will get bombarded, then once your happy, purchase.

If you have a dish and a live cable feed I would go for a combo as you can get SSP 5 RoI for the Saturday 3pm match if your a footy fan, also got the irish sports channels.

Theres also combo lines available sly and vm in one line if you did choose a combo box and to be fair the price was the same as seperate lines.
Theres good help available on here just follow the guides and you shoild be fine.

t3rminal, re: your last point on test hopping, be very careful when doing this. There are many who have taken tests only to be fleeced when subbing for example for the year. If your happy with the test, your looking for the connection to be extended and not replaced with another one.

Wow. There are some sharks on here then? Are test lines not free for a few days then disconnect? Maybe I am understanding it incorrectly.

It is just a case of trying different lines until your happy with the complete package, including support, price and performance.

Post in cable line wanted and make sure your inbox is empty as you will get bombarded, then once your happy, purchase.

If you have a dish and a live cable feed I would go for a combo as you can get SSP 5 RoI for the Saturday 3pm match if your a footy fan, also got the irish sports channels.

Seems the sensible idea. I have both feeds into the house so I'm pretty much settled on the Edison OS Mini Combo which is about £100

Theres also combo lines available sly and vm in one line if you did choose a combo box and to be fair the price was the same as seperate lines.
Theres good help available on here just follow the guides and you shoild be fine.

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. The replies I have had so far from TechKings so far has been amazingly fast and detailed so fingers crossed that'll continue.

Edison combo a nice box, make sure your up and running ready for test lines, practise adding them if need be as they timeout and will the countdown starts from when issued, don't waste 2 days trying you ad a 24hr test if that makes sense?

Edison combo a nice box, make sure your up and running ready for test lines, practise adding them if need be as they timeout and will the countdown starts from when issued, don't waste 2 days trying you ad a 24hr test if that makes sense?

Thats what I have in mind. Set it up initially with the feeds from the dish to receive the FTA channels and have a mess around getting familiar with the box, installing the SoftCAM plugin etc and then once I pretty happy try a few test lines.

I agree with you and dillyp70 try as many as you can before you pick one as for the price it really depends on what you think it worth paying. i tryed a few servers from here that gave e test lines there prices ranged from £80 to £5 some where really bad and sure you can work out which ones they where. Some will say you better with ones that have cards well again it depends on what you watch if it just the main sports and main film channels then cache just as good the problem i found with cache servers when i wanted or wife wanted to watch a channel that i or she liked and was not lets say sports or main film it either didn't decode (black screen) or real bad freeze.

Infact why not just go on to a well known forum and do cache share swap then u don't have to pay one who does the same thing as i found from a very ood member oh here that's what most of the servers do.

Do cable do the free channels just like Freesat & Freeview? I mean if I was to get a box with just a cable tuner, would it be useless without a line?

Some will say you better with ones that have cards well again it depends on what you watch if it just the main sports and main film channels then cache just as good the problem i found with cache servers when i wanted or wife wanted to watch a channel that i or she liked and was not lets say sports or main film it either didn't decode (black screen) or real bad freeze.

Thats my worry too. I don't want her to be moaning at me because she can't watch her stuff. I want as less hassle as possible lol.

Infact why not just go on to a well known forum and do cache share swap then u don't have to pay one who does the same thing as i found from a very ood member oh here that's what most of the servers do.

Can you PM me please about this :-)

Back