assistance but not spoon fed

Pablo317

ok , guys - new to this , and starting to pick up some jargon , but more fumbling about rather than structured , epg and c/line or n/line , so im not pissing anyone off asking stupid things like what's 28.2 ( ps what is 28.2 :-)) ?

is there a FAQ or glossary , that will tell me the basics and explain the acronyms - like i say , dont want spoon fed , but this would help me initailly.

I'm not aware of any "jargon buster" but someone may know of one. I learned all the lingo just by reading posts, guides and asking questions. Don't be afraid to ask a question in simple terms, not knowing the jargon wont reduce the help you get and wont p!ss poeple off, we all start off not knowing anything (I'm still learning and asking questions).

To help you get started, 28.2 thats the satellite which broadcasts SkyUK TV signal, EPG is the Electronic Program Guide and a cline and nline are what you purchase so you can watch scrambled TV channels without having to pay sly, an internet connection is required for a working line.

Edit: As cactikid said, use the search feature before asking :)

Last edited:
reading posts and tuts for certain boxes help us as we dont want 50 posts on the same question on the same subject which does happen all the time and has been answered 2 posts above.
search button can at times help to guide you.

guys , reading about as suggested , but can you advise ( if allowed) do you still need a c line or n line if you have a cable feed already ? am i right in thinking you need to pay subs - only if you have no cable connection
cheers

You will need an internet connection to run any box these days.

The KV A780 (cable) is pretty much the only box that you can get that doesn't require a sub these days.

Generally, a cable box will require VM broadband plus a sub.

A sat box any broadband plus a sub.

ok , cheers for clearing that up guys. my only experience is the a780 and that didnt need a sub. thats why the confusion.
pabs

I have vu+duo2 and want to record sat channel and switch to my terestrial tuner. Sadly for me I can't manage it. Any help greatly appreciated.

try button under ok any tuners listed or providers,terrestrial tuner as thats for aerial on roof or cable via vm.

forgot to add if you have abm it could be on that also.

autoboquetmaker no channel lists needed as it scans for moved or new stations automatically when setup,all info on that vix manual pdf.

ok , cheers for clearing that up guys. my only experience is the a780 and that didnt need a sub. thats why the confusion.
pabs

Can you use the same sub for other boxes in the house, or family with different IP addy's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you will have to ask whoever you buy line from some offer similar to s-l multi room subs, for different ip address you would need to buy another line

Can you use the same sub for other boxes in the house, or family with different IP addy's

A few suppliers allow what they call "multi-room" which allows more than 1 connection, usually 3-4, from the same IP address which allows you to run 3-4 boxes in your house. As for allowing friends and family at different houses then I've never seen a supplier allow that, really comes down to them loosing business or people re-selling the extra connections for a profit.

If you friends/family want to run their own skybox they will need there own line

when using Vix - whats the best to use cline or nline for sat and whats the best for cable ?
can you explain mgcam ? and cccam ? and cline ? and nline? a bit better -soz
pabs

A cline will only work in a CCcam, A nline can work in a CCcam and Mgcam nlines tend to work better in the Mgcam in my opinion nlines are better

A cline will only work in a CCcam, A nline can work in a CCcam and Mgcam nlines tend to work better in the Mgcam in my opinion nlines are better
ok thanks , without sounding stupid, what is a CCcam and MGcam ( or even a cam)
soz but im tying to understand better

A softcam or cam (same thing) can be downloaded to your box via the menus
For open source (Linux) boxes, for closed source (any other box) the cam will
be included as part of the firmware

You add your line, activate the cam, and the cam runs your line.

CCcam, Newcamd and MGCamd are all different cams.

N lines can be run with any of the above, C lines can only use CCcam.

Back