Astra 2G poor reception.

Hi, I seem to be getting poor reception on a lot of Astra 2G stations. They break up a lot and are unwatchable. It this purely down to alignment? My box is a cloud ibox 2+ running an old sucmnsee image. Is there any way I can set my satellite finder to Astra 2G to align better? Cheers.

The obvious answer is to tune into one of the channels you are having trouble with & use the iBox signal strength meter to tweak your dish for best sig strength/quality (assuming that the image you are using has a sig strength meter built-in).

Before you mess about with the dish try these things.

Check the freesat channels like bbc do they have the issue or is it the premium ones

Make sure the cable is screwed in correctly and the f plug is not coming away from the cable and that there is no kinks on the cable

Do a channel scan to make sure they are upto date.

The obvious answer is to tune into one of the channels you are having trouble with & use the iBox signal strength meter to tweak your dish for best sig strength/quality (assuming that the image you are using has a sig strength meter built-in).

Cheers, this is what I was thinking. Do I risk throwing some other channels out though, or if I'm able to get the signal quality up on these channels should I be ok?

I was having alignment problems with my dish last week. My signal strength was only about 54%. The satfinder beeping gadget I bought from ebay was good but not perfect. Got me in the right general direction but then I needed to fine tune it.
I achieved this was an couple of apps for my android phone. Enigma Signal Finder and DMSatFinder. So I didn't completely bugger up my dish direction I just pushed and pulled on my dish first without loosening the screws and checked the signal strength on the app. Once I new which way I was going I loosened the screws and readjusted. I have now got 98% signal. Having the app was so much better than shouting to someone... better... worse... etc

Ok, so I've re-aligned and my SNR varies between 35%-60% on Astra 2G stations, AGC is 86%. I cannot get it any higher than that, have tried different lnb skews too. The picture quality is fine but I'm guessing when it rains I'll have signal break up? Any reason why I can't get a better signal? I'm in the West of Ireland if that makes any difference.

Ok, so I've re-aligned and my SNR varies between 35%-60% on Astra 2G stations, AGC is 86%. I cannot get it any higher than that, have tried different lnb skews too. The picture quality is fine but I'm guessing when it rains I'll have signal break up? Any reason why I can't get a better signal? I'm in the West of Ireland if that makes any difference.

If you can try a different bit of cable and check the fplugs

30-60% is not great you may need a bigger dish

If you can try a different bit of cable and check the fplugs

30-60% is not great you may need a bigger dish
Cheers, will give it a look. Any idea of those cheap signal amplifiers are any good?

looking at my solo on a freesat channel i get snr of 90% and agc of 86.
did you go up and down and left and right and any line of sight issues?

Back