Best box for Spain?

ibizanick

Complete noob here as far as satellite is concerned I'm afraid, but I could really do with some advice. I live in an apartment block in Ibiza with connections to a terrestrial aerial, broadband and two dishes on the roof. I've no idea how big they are or where they're pointing. What I'm looking for is a box that will scan for what's available FTA and let me put whatever turns up into some sort of EPG and let me record stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be all UK channels as quite a few of the Spanish channels offer an English language option for some programmes and, if I can record them, I can skip the ridiculously large number of ads they show

Although I'm new to satellite boxes I'm not new to tech. For instance, I do get access to UK TV via a VPN at the moment, but I'm tired of the way it keeps getting blocked. It would be good to have a bit of an alternative.

Many thanks for your replies. Everybody seems very helpful on the forums. I just hope I haven't missed a thread somewhere from somebody asking the same question.

get a enigma 2 box will pick up any sat the dish pointing to need to get wire from dish to your apartment

even better if theres an option for your own dish, hidden amongst the paraphernalia on the roof? highly unlikely I know, but hey don't the Spanish just ignore the rules? I suspect the dishes up there are not pointing to 28.2 but as you said, something might be better than nothing?

my cheapest box i buy is edison mini but it depends on your budget and u could card share what ever sat dish pointing to

I can afford to spend a little more. And I'd rather not get something where I'm going to get fed up with its shortcomings very quickly or where I'm going to be having to explain complicated procedures so my wife doesn't miss Coronation Street. At the moment I'm thinking about a WeTek Play2 which seems quite a good deal at €109 plus postage. It seems that most of its shortcomings can be sorted with a custom ROM.

forget the satellite box, get a mag250 or 254 if you have over 4meg broadband your missus will have all the tv she needs and you wont miss your sport.Win Win

it may be a backward step, but ive found that the openbox is the simplest set up you can have. if your boss likes things to be simple (which is why mine agreed to marry me ...) then an openbox is fine. it is limited, but for the price its worth trying until you find your 'feet' and anything you put onto the box is transferable onto any bigger or better ones you might migrate to and its cheap enough not to be too concerned about short term use (and always good to have a back up box, just in case!) - the reaper is a bit of an openbox guru, so it might be worth checking some of his posts.

You cannot pick up the 28.2E (astra sat) signal in Spain unless you have a 3 m wide dish as far as I'm aware they narrowed the width of the beam a few years back your best bet is iptv out there Unless you have space for a 3m dish!

---------- Post Merged at 09:08 PM ----------

I also have a wetek play 2 the softcam for weos just doesn't work loads of missing sounds and epgs shite libreelec and tv headend are the winner but a shame you loose the play store!

Totally agree. Bin the Dish! I have iptv,never looked at a dish since(yes they have narrowed the satellite coverage too) pm if you need info.

Back