Best output resolution on VU solo 2 and 4k Tv

Sandpaper

Hi Folks,
TV in the living room was on its last legs after 12 years of loyal service, took the plunge and bought a Phillips ambilight 6703 50" 4K for just £399 during their black friday event.
Im just wandering on what peoples thoughts are on the best output setting for my VU solo2 using Ipab?
I had auto resolution on but just found the pause between channels too annoying. I know the few free hd channels I have are 1080!, was wondering if my HD IPTV channels are progressive?
Currently have the VU solo set to 1080p and letting it take care of deinterlacing and upscaling Sat (didnt notice much of an improvement letting the tv do it) and letting the TV upscale to 4K from there.

Just wondering what other folks have set up, plus what there thought are?

Thanks in advance

I leave my solo2 on 1080p and dont have my tv upscaling nothing which can throw picture off and i can only get 1920 x 1080 on the odd channel as i dont have a 4k box or tv.

I use 1080p on my duo2 and just disable everything on the tv. I can't see the advantage of 4k at the moment as not much in 4k. Also Ipab image has no support now so I would use a newer image.

Hi Cactikid/Formandvoid,
I only bought the TV because there is very little other choice in 1080p sets at this stage tbh, most people seem to reckon you will only notice the difference on 4k 55" upwards. Bar netflix and MKVs everything else (90%) is from the solo 2. Don't get me wrong HDR does make the colours pop, but 1080P would prob have been a better choice. Im just wondering is the VU solo2 good at upscaling/deinterlacing ( is it any good in your opinion) or do most folks let the TV bear the grunt of the hard work

Last edited:
i was looking at an 8k at a local show and looked very impressive but i cant say as not using any other settings on my own tv as its not 4k.
Maybe if i had a 4k box and tv the box would handle the picture settings.
I think other users with a 4 k box or 4 k tv might need to comment further.

i was looking at an 8k at a local show and looked very impressive but i cant say as not using any other settings on my own tv as its not 4k.
Maybe if i had a 4k box and tv the box would handle the picture settings.
I think other users with a 4 k box or 4 k tv might need to comment further.
in fairness your reply did help,you prefer your solo2 (as appose to your TV) and think its upto doing the upscaling/interlacing of what ever signal it gets before sending it to the TV?

Trying to upscale 1080p to 4k will not work

It’s like trying to polish a turd it’s never going to happen :grin:

I have a Tiviar Alpha 1080i on a 4k samsung and a TM Nano-SE 1080i on a 12 yr old Panny plasma and the picture quality is minimal, l have tried all settings on both boxes and telle's and the only difference is the 4k samsung is the whites are whiter than the panny. probably dirty screen:)

Both on 1080i 60hz

Last edited:
Funny you should say that, I have an 8 year old panny plamsa (cost a hell of a lot more than £399 at the time) in the mans cave. I have never stopped loving that TV or marvelling at the black levels, all i use it for is movies,box sets and weekends. But I have to be honest, Im really impressed with the picture of the new TV. I do not like a really bright picture by default and maybe Im going soft but colours in a dark background are very punchy. Put it this way, was watching The dark night (batman has sonar vision scene, near the end on his way up the building to finally get hold of the joker) and the the missus walked in and said "wow that's crisp". Sorry off topic, I was going to settle for 1080i but then i thought the hd streams from IPTV looked slightly worse due to it being progressive scan. if this is the case.

Back