Best Satellite receiver for On-demand TV?

rikplay

I currently have a skybox f5 and an openbox which have been ok, but just recently when I signed up for talk talk TV I received a Youview box which is incredibly underpowered but serves me well with on demand TV, especially channel 5 on demand so the nipper can constantly watch peppa pig and those kids programmes.(y)

So I am looking to buy 1 Satellite receiver which I can use all the on demand tv with as well as all my current channels. But I would like to have the box in the lounge (to replace the skybox and youview box) and pick up the signal in other rooms via RF out.

1. Which is the best box out there at the moment for on demand TV apps including youtube, iplayer, channel 5, 4od, Netflix, etc? Because the skybox is very limited. Dual tuner would be better but not essential. Price limit of £300
2. Is it possible to watch and maybe even control these boxes from another room via RF out and cat5.

In anticipation of setup questions my house has a convenient setup as stated below:
In every room I have a media plate which has 2 Ethernet ports, 1 phone, 1 sat and 1 tv port (this is split at the socket/plate, its one lead with a combiner in the loft combining the Ariel and the LNB (there is 1 combiner for each room) – Octo LNB on dish

The lounge has 2 sat ports and a return RF back to the loft which feeds the signal back to all rooms in the house.

In the past I was leaning towards the Vu+ Duo but that was a while ago and im not sure if I can do all the above on it or there may be a better value box out there that does.
If anyone has any recommendation I would be grateful, preferably something not overly complicated but with good support in case I need to flash images etc.

Hi,

A simple solution for you might be something like a Roku device. They start from about £50 and can be purchased from high street. Have all on demand except itvplayer at moment + netflix youtube etc. Simply plugs into your tv and streams wireless.

I didn't think the roku was an actual satallite receiver? Can i watch whats being played on the roku in another room on a non smart tv?

Google roku all the info is there. Its not a satellite receiver but gives access to almost all on demand and will turn your tv into a smart tv just by plugging it in to your television. Most satellite receiver boxes have did away with rf out ages ago old tech. I don't think there is much on demand support if any on enigma enabled sat boxes either and even if there was they would still have to stream over the net like a roku device does. Its a simple solution to your problem.

Back