Best Sky like experience for a total noob

Mainly for my elderly relatives, BT sports and 3pm kick off's included and a few Asian channels like Star Plus

From what I understand, I have to buy a box. My 3 options are
  • Zgemma
  • Formuler
  • Mag box
So I get one of these boxes, then what? I'd want reliable services and the best quality possible (I have an OLED TV and it's unforgivable on poor sources)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainly for my elderly relatives,
I have an OLED TV and it's unforgivable on shitty sources)
So is it for you or your elderly relatives?

Magbox is IPTV only and isn't a sky experience due to the layout
Zgemma H7S or H7C is a very fast box
Formuler can be a fast box depending on which one your buy.
Both boxes can run a sky look-alike theme

Do they have a satellite dish? Who is there ISP?

Last edited:
So is it for you or your elderly relatives?

Magbox is IPTV only so isn't a sky experience
Zgemma H7S or H7C is a very fast box
Formuler can be a fast box depending on which one your buy.

Do they have a satellite dish? Who is there ISP?

We live together, I don't watch TV only blu-rays and on demand shows, they however couch surf :) The joys of retirement

So Magbox is out of the question then I take it? When you mean IPTV only, aren't all services IPTV
In terms of fast, as long as it matches the speed of Sky+ HD boxes I don't mind.

We have a Sky satellite dish, and ISP is with Sky too, Fibre.

OK so instantly you can receive freesat channels through your sat dish. No, not all services are IPTV. If you are with virgin for an ISP you can still get all the channels.

So you need a sat box (Zgemma H7S or H92S) or formuler box the same.
A sky skin
An IPTV provider for the channels you can no longer get from your satellite dish

There are lots of premade images you can install on whatever box you decide to buy which already have the sky skin available.

You won't get a service like sky and recording is different and slightly clunky in comparison to a sky box.

OK so instantly you can receive freesat channels through your sat dish. No, not all services are IPTV. If you are with virgin for an ISP you can still get all the channels.

So you need a sat box (Zgemma H7S or H92S) or formuler box the same.
A sky skin
An IPTV provider for the channels you can no longer get from your satellite dish

There are lots of premade images you can install on whatever box you decide to buy which already have the sky skin available.

You won't get a service like sky and recording is different and slightly clunky in comparison to a sky box.

Cheers, so which of those boxes do you recommend?

Mag box with Iptv is the easiest to set up and pretty much trouble free. Enigma 2 boxes like Zgemma etc will give you the sky look and can be used for Sat,Cable and IPTV but obviously will take more setting up and not as straight forward as a mag box.

Mag box doesn't look like a sky lay out but all the channels are in groups and your provider will probably offer VOD as well. Always amuses me when people ask for a sky lay out, they must really like blue and yellow.

It is because it is something they can relate to and use instantly.

The downside to the magbox is that if your internet goes off or you end up ISP blocked to your IPTV server you have nothing but a paper weight. A sat box will still receive freesat at worst and if you still have internet you have E2 iPlayer too.

It is because it is something they can relate to and use instantly.

The downside to the magbox is that if your internet goes off or you end up ISP blocked to your IPTV server you have nothing but a paper weight. A sat box will still receive freesat at worst and if you still have internet you have E2 iPlayer too.

So a Zgemma box it is then? Awesome. Any particular Zgemma box?

And then after that, just pick a IPTV service?

Personally I would go for the Zgemma H7S. This has a twin sat tuner (like sky) and also a normal TV aerial connector for freeview. This also doubles as cable if you have VM. The H92S is another fast box but I just like the H7S. Both boxes are 4k boxes.

When choosing IPTV, get lots of 24 hour tests, one at a time and test them. When you are happy with one, maybe start with a month and see how it goes.

Basically any enigma 2 box will give you nearest possible sky experience. I notice vix has officially started supporting zgemma boxes.

Back