Box stuck on red light.

Lyceum

Sorry if this isn't allowed. Not sure what's the forums policy on talking about clones is.

I have a vu clone. Working fine yesterday. Switched on today and nothing. Red light that's it.

Any ideas how I can get it back to life?

I've had it just over 12 months but only used it for two so really not impressed.

oh dear was the image updated by any chance and if so could be bricked,needing a new chip on board,one reason why i dont use clones=short lived.

oh dear was the image updated by any chance and if so could be bricked,needing a new chip on board,one reason why i dont use clones=short lived.

I didn't know it was a clone when I bought it. It cost me £265. At the time I knew zero about sat boxes and didn't even know there was clones to be wary of.

No Since I've got it the only thing I've updated is CoolTvGuide and I only did that because after setting it up again (I used it for two months when I got it. Missed HD so went back to sly. It's sat packed away in its original box since March last year until two weeks back when I decided to ditch sly when my contract is up end of this month and wanted to set up a new line on the box) the EPG no longer worked. I downloaded CoolTvGuide via the plugins/addons menu. That was two weeks back.

Everything else is exactly as it was when I got it.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas?

Opened it today and the capacitors all look fine. Left it unplugged over night but still no sign of life. I don't have another power supply to test it with but the light on the power supply comes on as usual.

Surely it should be expected to last more than two months use? I'm absolutely gutted. Had a look yesterday and was thinking of a Zgemma s2 as a replacement but the more I think about it the more weary I am about throwing more money away.

I just bought a faulty vu+duo mini with red light fault. I did not know about clones to start with and thought I was buying a legit one, and I bought the red light fix kit off ebay (cap and chip replacement). Turns out this was no use to me as the clone has an external power pack, not internal which is what the kit was for. After a bit of digging, I found attaching a null modem cable from the back of the box to my PC and using Putty I was able to see the console boot messages from the clone box during boot up. It was showing it was booting which gave me hope. It was failing on not being able to generate FB0 (a video frame buffer). I downloaded an old VU+ Duo firmware (v1.6.6 i think) and installed it via USB. I watched via putty during boot with USB attached and it showed it was re-flashing. After flash, I restarted, and to my amazement it booted. I understand there is bricking code added to the latest vu+ images to kill clones, so maybe this has happened to you. I would get a null modem cable and see if it will tell you anything on a reboot. If so, there is a chance that simply flashing an older image may bring it back to life!
J

I just bought a faulty vu+duo mini with red light fault. I did not know about clones to start with and thought I was buying a legit one, and I bought the red light fix kit off ebay (cap and chip replacement). Turns out this was no use to me as the clone has an external power pack, not internal which is what the kit was for. After a bit of digging, I found attaching a null modem cable from the back of the box to my PC and using Putty I was able to see the console boot messages from the clone box during boot up. It was showing it was booting which gave me hope. It was failing on not being able to generate FB0 (a video frame buffer). I downloaded an old VU+ Duo firmware (v1.6.6 i think) and installed it via USB. I watched via putty during boot with USB attached and it showed it was re-flashing. After flash, I restarted, and to my amazement it booted. I understand there is bricking code added to the latest vu+ images to kill clones, so maybe this has happened to you. I would get a null modem cable and see if it will tell you anything on a reboot. If so, there is a chance that simply flashing an older image may bring it back to life!
J

Thank you but I gave up.

I tried flashing with older images. Tried flashing the boot loader. Tried flashing with all components unplugged. Etc.

Nothing made a difference so I gave up. Too the HDD and that's that.

I'm going to grab either an xpeed or a zgemma.

Thanks you for the reply though. It's appreciated.

have you tried turning it on without lid attached? reason i ask is that i had power problems and it turned out the lid was slightly bowed and it was touching the capacitors.

Thanks. Yes I did. After I unplugged everything I switched on and didn't bother to put the lid back on.

I've taken out the HDD and binned it.

Expensive lesson learned!

Back