WilloBuild Box to use for access to Willobuild zGemma - Suggestions please

Odd topic, and is sort of build specific.

I have a H2S and H7 box for satellite recording. Both running Willobuild.

I have new requirement and after suggestions for something cheap and decent. But needs to work as follows:

Same GUI/look for wife approval
WiFi connection
Doesn't need to receive signals - only playback from other box (though a signal pass through might be useful)

As I currently run 2 x zGemmas, and they can access each others recordings, as well as make their own viewing/recording, I have enough control over that. What the new box will do is sit in the summer house and playback in the nice way we are used to. Be great if they can also stream the live broadcast over the network as new location has no TV aerial or sat cables and not going to be installing those. Not the goal so a nice to have only. I have IPTV anyway on Firestick and could add to new box too I guess.

I could in theory LAN connect if necessary as there is one network run to the location so can add a switch but prefer not to. Currently that cable feeds a Unifi AP so signal is solid in the location for WiFi

Currently the TV I have put in can connect and playback from zGemma using MiniDLNA, and the stream is fine but the GUI is awful and not intuitive. I have firestick too but that seems worse, VLC works but the default audio stream is narrated and subtitles often default to on.

One specific requirement I have, on my H7 box, that has crashed a couple of times recently when the internet (external not local) was offline during a reboot, so need to avoid any reliance on a live network or sat signal etc to switch the device on.

All E2 boxes are likley to hang during boot up if there is no network BUT they shouldn't crash, my h52tc for example tends to hang for a minute or two and then continues to boot up. Saying that I am sure @Willo3092 mentioned recently in another thread that his build does require internet connection.

As for a box recommendation, I've been away from boxes too long to recommend on specific, but you really want to look for a single tuner 4k box with wifi (although twin tuner may be similar price), any box with those 2 requirements will do what you want. Your budget then dictates the other specs you may want, ie memory, hdd etc The Octagon SF8008 seems to be popular and not bad price but I've not used them
EDIT: I've just seen the Octagon SX988, which is an E2 IP box and has no tuners 'the SX988 4K UHD meets all modern requirements of a multimedia device, including support for the Enigma 2 Multiroom TV Client system,' and only £80. Again I've never used one but sounds like it's just what you need, but check out the specs don't just go one what I've posted as I just had a quick look

Last edited:
That’s excellent. Thanks. The two build are similar I think so might be time to try yours again.

On the new box if they can talk to each other and no network on boot dependency.

On Willobuild it hung for 10mins + before I hard rebooted. I probably made it crash in the end doing all of that to it.

Appreciate the recommendation. Sounds ideal and will take a look.

I did have Willobuild on a i55 box running 6.3.....worked great on the LAN connection,but if tried to use at another location via WLAN it just held on the Willobuild title screen and didnt fully boot so no menus to set the box to WiFi.
I mentioned it on here the other day but got no reply.
Ive sacked it off and installed OpenATV 6.4

The hanging without network connectivity is something unique to Willow's modifications. Hopefully he can investigate and resolve this issue.

You can run a stock image without Internet/network access. There should be no hanging or anything like that. Granted that you will need the connectivity for your needs.

All enigma2 receivers will work from each other. Each image has its own method of applying the functionality. You should find the Client mode (found in tuner config) in Vix pretty straight forward. The avahi detection method adopted from PLI means the receiver will detect other E2 receivers on the network.

Try renaming /etc/enigma2/startup.sh

It updates KiddaC's toppicks screens on boot/restart ..... well it does if it's connected to a network.

All of the various scripts that I use for updates and plugins etc are server based as well and run using wget on demand and cron timers.

You will definitely need to change skin to one of the stock ones like Simple Ten Eighty and delete my cron timers or it will be back as it was next day.

Why would he need to change skins? Surely he can install the ones from the image's plugin server?

Maybe the next set of scripts for vix 6.4 can be just added as cron timers instead of a startup script that user can disable if they want? Also perform an Internet check before they process?

It would be easier to use a stock image rather than a build to be fair.

I modified all of kiddac's skins so that toppicks etc was integrated into the skin, and that requires a network connection.
All of my plugins and other bits and bobs also require a network connection.

To remove all of my stuff and the skins would just leave stock ViX so best off using that in the first place.

I do specify in the instructions that a network connection is needed.

Re the 'box' to use, I stumbled accross KODI, something I havent looked at for probably 10 years and that might be the solution. Via firestick can access recordings on the zGemma quite nicely. Seems to get the IPTV bouqet too.
Sky and Freeview are showing but don't play, more investigation needed. Not essential.
Sadly not the simple sky feel of the zgemma but it might do the trick and cost me nowt!

Back