Cable boxes with twin tuners

muzicman

Having setup my Zgemma Star H1 with much help from forum members, I'm itching to learn what other superior boxes are available. Don't get me wrong the Zgemma is a fantastic box for the money but I've found the vix image to be a little bit flaky at times and the open ATV image leaves me cold.

Up to getting the Zgemma I've been using an openbox and quite honestly it's so easy to setup and is rock solid. However, having experienced cable. it's so much better and having HD again is great on my 55" TV ( Not boasting as I'm sure other "members" have bigger ones (TVs) than me.

What is the upgrade path from Zgemma?

Would be interested to learn of other members experience of using other cable boxes.

Bees. You've helped many of us out and you seem to have used various cable boxes. Can you gives us a breakdown of your experiences?

Having setup my Zgemma Star H1 I've found the vix image to be a little bit flaky at times and the open ATV image leaves me cold.

Thats because ViX was never intended to be run on this receiver and has never been optimized for it, the ViX images you see for these boxes are taken from other receivers and hacked to shit to fit on these boxes.

another reason why research is best done before buying as you can find many posts stating this box is not supported by vix,all there supported boxes are listed on wos.

As per normal from phoenix-VIX is so keen to dis the zgemma boxes at the first opportunity without answering the OP's question...... Yawn getting bored of this. The box isn't sold as having Vix support so get off your soapbox.

muzicman if it's a dual cable tuner box you can either add a second USB cable tuner to your H1 or possibly look at the new Zgemma-H2 this is dual cable tuner box (no sat cable only) and has double the NAND flash so better images are feasible.

I guess you're probably looking at something with a faster processor though? If money no object I'd have a look at the VU+DUO2 it will cost you around £325 though.

The box isn't sold as having Vix support

I call bollucks on that statement, these boxes are specifically marketed as having ViX support to con users into buying them. The simple fact of the matter that with these boxes you are not getting the real ViX experience that you would with a properly supported receiver where the image has been properly optimized for the hardware, now you can climb on your little soapbox and wine till the cows come home and it wont make a blind bit of difference, just ask any user who has a genuine receiver with real ViX support and they will tell you exactly why ViX is one of if not the most popular image in Europe and further afield.

same here :)

I've had the zgemma for month its been a great little box for learning for me and looking to move to a better box now as I'm going to move the zgemma to another room (for my dad :)

I've had no real problems with the zgemma but sometimes it can lock up when changing channels when pressing the channel + - on remote ....its fine using the arrows and changing channels with the tv guide tho..... (funny my skybox also did this...

I looked at vu duo 2 and mutant hd2400 both very expensive but you get what you pay for? , I've heard the mutant has got clicky remote control buttons on certain buttons if I remembering right ?....., that puts me off that one , like a box with the same layout remote buttons as the zgemma.
I really like the zgemma remote layout and feel < I was going to buy another zgemma but thought I'd wait save up and buy a good one :)

technomate has a box too , world-of-satellite.com ive seen them

but in all honestly the zgemma is fine at the moment with me its miles better than my old skyboxf5 . would like it a bit faster thats all really

I call bollucks on that statement, these boxes are specifically marketed as having ViX support to con users into buying them.

You always do... when pushed though you've not been able to substantiate your claims. Do you care to show me where? Oh no....of course not as nowhere on the Air Digital site does the box claim to support Vix. As for most popular image in Europe that's debatable, yes it's popular but so is OpenATV (particularly popular in Germany) then of course there's ItalySat (you'll never guess where that's most popular). Yes Vix is a good image and if you can afford a box from a supplier that chips into the project then you get support. I'm not aware of any other opensource project where users only get support if using hardware from preferred vendors though....Just saying.

I call bollucks on that statement, these boxes are specifically marketed as having ViX support to con users into buying them.

You always do... when pushed though you've not been able to substantiate your claims. Do you care to show me where? Oh no....of course not as nowhere on the Air Digital site does the box claim to support Vix. As for most popular image in Europe that's debatable, yes it's popular but so is OpenATV (particularly popular in Germany) then of course there's ItalySat (you'll never guess where that's most popular). Yes Vix is a good image and if you can afford a box from a supplier that chips into the project then you get support. I'm not aware of any other opensource project where users only get support if using hardware from preferred vendors though....Just saying.

No one has ever refused a user support on my forum for a receiver just because it was bought from some one other than our sponsor, all we state is that we will not support clones of any description and we will not support unofficially patched images. If you have a genuine receiver you will always get support on WoS regardless of where you bought the receiver.

when zgemma first came out it had stated vix support and still saying it on adds so where is the bull there?
on ebay it states.

"
Zgemma Star H1 can supports:
Blackhole2.06, OpenPLi(4.0), OpenPli(3),OpenDroid, Open ATV, Open Vix, ItalySat, Hdfreaks and the ViX Team, Support 3D , HBBTV, IPTV,
Emu firmware etc "

so false statements from sellers of this box even though it directs you to their site for support.

when zgemma first came out it had stated vix support and still saying it on adds so where is the bull there?
on ebay it states.

"
Zgemma Star H1 can supports:
Blackhole2.06, OpenPLi(4.0), OpenPli(3),OpenDroid, Open ATV, Open Vix, ItalySat, Hdfreaks and the ViX Team, Support 3D , HBBTV, IPTV,
Emu firmware etc "

so false statements from sellers of this box even though it directs you to their site for support.

I pointed out that very same advert to the manufacturers on the Zgemma home forum and was slated by them as they insisted it did have ViX support even after I told them I was a member of the ViX team and we would not support their counterfeit receiver.

Here we go again.... How many times IT'S NOT A CLONE. I've proved you wrong on this before - it has it's own drivers developed by the manufacturer and has hardware designed by the manufacturer. Yes the manufacturer IN THE PAST produced clone boxes but doesn't now. Yet Vix decides it's a clone with no justification and refuses to support. In my view petty but each to their own.....

talking about speed

changing channels with sky is faster than changing the vm channels, It takes about 2 seconds max when changing VM HD channels..sometimes its faster under 1 second , I've tried a few different lines and they all seem around the same speed changing the channels

with sky is under 1 second all the time.... quicker but only little bit

would i be right in thinking changing the channels with the vu and mutant would it be around the same speed?
browsing the menus and tv guide could be a bit faster but thats me being picky

I must look for the setting to change the scroll speed in the tv guide :) its a bit choppy ....I changed it before and now its to fast and lost its smoothness

over and out :willy nilly:

Here we go again.... How many times IT'S NOT A CLONE. I've proved you wrong on this before - it has it's own drivers developed by the manufacturer and has hardware designed by the manufacturer. Yes the manufacturer IN THE PAST produced clone boxes but doesn't now. Yet Vix decides it's a clone with no justification and refuses to support. In my view petty but each to their own.....

Yes it is a clone, it is manufactured by the Air Digital clone group who are notorious for their cloud branded receivers, they did not just wake up one morning and decide to stop selling clones and go fully legit, and they still to this day manufacture and sell those same cloud branded clones side by side with these so called all original receivers.

by removing the supported by vix statement i would be happy with,their other images do support this box so no problem there.

see what you've done muzicman! .... youve started the 3rd world war :fear:

chill [video=youtube;1jjcxFGEysE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjcxFGEysE[/video]

:willy nilly:

i liked the ww2 betterlol,if someone wants to by a skybox without knowing anything can have fun times and no hair.

on ebay it states.

To be fair when the box was launched Air Digital had hoped it would get support of the Vix team as it had started production of an original box, it's disappointing they haven't managed to get it. Ebay sellers can and do make untrue claims and it bugs the hell out of me that people are willing to mislead buyers.

As for the cloud ibox - all manufacture of these was due to cease in March to be replaced by the Zgemma-Star S,S2,H1 and H2 so stocks still being sold are old stock.

All of the Zgemma range have their own drivers and CFE...

As for ignorance - may be I am in some respects, but at least I'm willing to admit when I'm in the wrong and on this occasion I'm not. What really grips is that the only posts Phoenix-Vix makes on this site concern slagging off receivers and users for not sharing his viewpoint and not adding any value to this site whatsoever.

Glad to see that Phoenix-Vix has nothing better to come up with than "ignorant fool" ROFL

You're better off with OpenATV anyways as the support team are fantastic and will do everything they can to help, no matter what box you use. I guess less wasted energy slagging off users and their boxes on websites makes them more productive!!

Bloody Hell !!!! I missed all this yesterday !!! :arrgh:

So back on topic !! Upgrade from a Zgemma ?

I would go for a combo from wos flashed with the vix image LOL

I have tried Amiko, was basic, but there wasn't that much out on cable then and didn't want to risk too much money at that stage.
It was bought to see if I could get the cable side working more than anything and I guess the Zgemma is better than that.

Xpeed LX2, Gigablue, Miraclebox Mini, all good in my opinion, (Gigablue boxes look a bit more fancy) my budget for boxes is generally around the £150 ish mark,
sometimes I pay a bit more, sometimes a bit less

They do all I need around this price.

The more expensive boxes are faster, have the option of internal HDD's and extra tuners, if these are of interest
then I would still go down the officially supported box route and pay for a higher end box with the extra features.

Without getting into any major debate, I would and do pay the extra for officially supported boxes rather than buy
a cheaper box which uses a modded vix image, I think they are good products and the support is worth paying for,
but that's just my opinion.

Also what I would point out is Openbox then Skybox then Libertview then back to Openbox.

So far, Cloud IBox then Zgemma then ...................................... watch this space

Do you really want to be on the merry go round ?

Last edited:
Back