Cable sparked causing gremlins

Riko

Hey guys n girls

I'm in real need of some help! Let me tell you my dilemma...

When wiring my amplifier back into the boot, the grounding cable came free and caused a spark. My head unit appeared to die, my side lights have stopped working (main beam is fine) and my ignition won't kick in without me teasing the throttle. I have since had the head unit looked at and an auto electrician has rewired it to work again, however he didn't get a chance too look into the other problems, plus I didn't want to pay a fortune for that at the same time!!

All visible wiring looms appear to be intact and all fuses appear fine. What am I missing!?? For reference it is a mk3 Golf tdi.

I would be grateful for any input no matter how small.

Rik

how exactly did you check the fuses? sometimes a visual is just not enough.check both ends for power with a test lite to be sure.by main beam i take it to mean your headlites?again with a test lite check at the harness plug for power on both low and high beam.if you have power on both its pretty much sure to be the bulb.

if no sidelights have worked after the mishap might suggest suggest it was wired wrong from setup,most cars have snap connector plugins for insertion and removal.look up car manual and fuse location,possibly at drivers door cover on dash very good eyesight needed for checking fuse as some cannot be checked with a test probe to see if faulty,if removing remember where it came from.replace with same.
also get fault codes checked for starting as it might be a cold start sensor gone.

Thanks for your replies chaps.

I'll admit I'm no mechanic and electrics is way over my head, but I have checked with new sidelight bulbs with no change, I'll buy a new supply of fuses and go from there. The ignition is the most frustrating at a guess it may fail an MOT if it can't start without assistance? I'll have a look through the car manual now and check where the cold start sensor is. Thanks again!

cold start sensor is usually around thermostat housing on the petrol models,common failure car turn over but fails to start,look up handbook first to see what fuse it is as there are 2 sizes lol.

ahhh bugger a diesel,think a scan may be needed for the starting issues,maybe even pick up sensor or glow plugs.

Last edited:
I just can't work out if these issues are all coincidental or related! I feel they are related as there were no issues before this wire 'blew' something. Oh the fun of owning a 19yr old car!!

could have been worse it could have been a new one,and your only a newbie on a 19 year old car, be driving my 25 year old tomorrow if still alive lol
that old car probably has diy connections for radio and for the starting??

i dont know if this helps or not but my dad has a mk3 golf vr6, a very similar thing happend with him except the amplifier basically burnt out long story short, but left brake/indicator/reversing light assembly wasnt working at all it started idling either too high or too low and wouldnt start without teasing, all very similar symptoms, he just took it to a garage flat out and they reset the ecu and replaced a couple fuses and that was it, all back to normal, worth getting it done either way, hope this helped

Back