Cam stopping after 5 mins...

Hi all,

Apologies if you may have read my similar post in the H2S section but still none the wiser and this seems a busier section.

Basic problem is that the cam seems to frequently stop or there may be a problem with my line. Using mgcamd_r1.38.

From bootup everything works as it should. However,if you then go to fta for 5 mins or more then back to an encrypted channel you have to wait a long time (way over 30 secs) for it to clear. I at first thought it may be a problem with my line but having corresponded with the seller he says he has tried my line on a spare box and everything is fine.In fact he sent me details of a completely different test server and the same thing happens. If you are away from an encrypted channel for 4 mins then there is no problem it clears straight away but the magic number seems to be 5 mins.

I can live with it but obviously it's not supposed to be like that and can be frustrating sometimes. My box originally came with vix but have now got Wooshes latest build on and its the same on both.

I'm hoping its just some buried setting somewhere that needs changing but tbh i've been through most of them numerous times and still no joy.

Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers,

Do you a line in your newcamd.lst like this CWS_KEEPALIVE = 300 if not add it in before your line details

mgcamd should also be set to auto start,i would also check your lan connection as if it drops picture will freeze.
is box wired direct to router or using iffy wifi?

When I first joined this forum I had this very issue. My line didn't have the CWS_KEEPALIVE part and if I watched FTA for a bit, it wouldn't "kick" back in and decode an encrypted channel I then tried to watch. I was told repeatedly that line wasn't needed in "these newer boxes" and yet, since I ensured that line was present, I have NEVER had the problem since
Some coincidence...

Yeah I needed it too recently when changed provider for sky and VM and switching between vm to sky was slow until I put this back in my newcamd file. Depends on server. Some like you to have Ian server too at the end.

Thanks for all the advice guys and for the pm Woosh.

The above advice was exactly right,as soon as i added 'CWS_KEEPALIVE = 300' to the beginning of my newcamd.list it started to work perfectly.

Such a simple little thing but has frustrated me for months!

The only thing i worry about now is if the server can ban my ip for pinging it so often. i wouldnt have thought so cos it's only doing it once every 5 mins but i have read posts online about people setting it to a rediculously low number so keen to avoid that.

Once again,thanks guys,very much appreciated.

Back