Can isp alter download speeds on ASUS router

Maxnew

Hi, I’ve been using a ASUS dsl-ac66u router as my modem/router for around 6 months and was getting download speed of 9mb (same on eir isp router).
A couple of weeks ago speed dropped to 5mb, so iptv was hit and miss.
Eir engineer came out and fitted new router and was getting 7.5mb. Wasn’t happy as it was lower than I had previously, so over the phone he was able to ‘boost’ it for me to 10mb. The fact they could boost it, does that mean that could of reduced it because I’m using a third party router( no vpn).
ASUS router has the latest firmware so not sure why it lost speed. Have tried ASUS router again since they fixed it but speed is 6mb.
1. Can they alter anything their end to alter my ASUS router?
2. How can they and why do they suddenly boost/reduce speed?
Thinking I’ll stick with their modem for now and use ASUS as WiFi extender,
It would still be handy if vpn becomes a necessity in the future.
Anyone’s opinions appreciated.

Your internet speed is very low ,I would be looking for a new provider.You could not use a vpn with those speeds.Who is your provider.

Your internet speed is very low ,I would be looking for a new provider.You could not use a vpn with those speeds.Who is your provider.
My isp is eir. They are the bt equivalent over here in Ireland. Not many other options for providors where I am, and they would have to use eir’s line/ infrastructure, so I guess the speeds I’m getting are the best speeds that I can get.
When I mentioned vpn, it was in the hope I’ll be able to get fibre broadband at some point in the future. Thanks

to answer your question
YES
your provider can alter your speed anytime they wish
your actual router is irrelevant
they cannot change your router speed,
when you tried your ASUS router, did you leave it on for 24hrs , ? it may need to settle to your ISP settings for optimal speed

I'm in a similar situation, the best speed any ISP will give me is 15, although in actuality I get about 16.5, but no-one will 'give' me more than 15, so I cant complain of a slower speed than promised

to answer your question
YES
your provider can alter your speed anytime they wish
your actual router is irrelevant
they cannot change your router speed,
when you tried your ASUS router, did you leave it on for 24hrs , ? it may need to settle to your ISP settings for optimal speed

I'm in a similar situation, the best speed any ISP will give me is 15, although in actuality I get about 16.5, but no-one will 'give' me more than 15, so I cant complain of a slower speed than promised
I just plugged it in for 20 mins, and changed back to providers modem when speed was low.
I’ll try leaving it for 24hrs, thanks

your line needs to "train" itself for giving you the best speed. You're probably FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) where it's fibre connection to BT exchange then copper wire from cabinet to your house. If you live further than 1Km from the cabinet (exchange) then you won't be getting superfast speeds (limitations of copper cable).

don't keep unplugging routers as it messes with line "training". evrytime you unplug, the line detects a "fault" and retraining starts from zero again.

Back