Can you run a blu-ray player via a Satbox?

Forcefire

TK Veteran
Hey all,

This may seem an odd thing to post in a sat forum but I wondered if anyone knows if its possible to play blu-rays via a satbox running Vix? I already have my media server running through my xpeed lx2 via the DLNA plugin but didn't know if there was a DVD/Blu-ray plugin like VLC media player which can playback disc's.

The reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of getting a blu-ray player but though if I can get a USB external drive so I can use it on my laptop as well as using it via my Xpeed LX2. I figured the Xpeed couldn't power the blu-ray but the external ones come with their own power supply and I have a powered USB hub for the connection to the box which my external HDD is currently attached too, plus the external ones are easier to make region free on DVD and Blu-ray allowing me to play imports, stand alone blu-ray players that are multi-region are expensive.

Anyway just thought I would ask, see if anyone knew before I purchased.

Cheers

Sorry I don't know the answer but it seems very complicated.

Why don't you just download a movie off TPB, stick it on an external HDD
and play it through a USB port on your TV or USB port on your Xpeed.

Lots are 1080p quality, so no need for a blue ray and all the DVD's
I binned mine about 12 months ago. Probably hadn't been used for 12
months before that.

Save your money on the blu-ray and spend it on a bigger external HDD, I got a 2TB Toshiba for £65.00.
as bees said downloading is the way to go, I D/L a top film last night 1080p and 5.1 surround sound in 20 mins, put it on my external HDD and ran it thru the USB on my tv.
no discs and you don't have another box and wires cluttering up the place needing to be dusted.

Thanks guys but I don't need a big HDD as I have a media server but I like to buy some Blu-rays so thats why I asked

@bees ya loony binned them,do you want some vcr tapes to replace them,something like music magpie would give you something back on them instead of binning them.
i never got to play my bad baby and stick in a lan cable to see what extras it does.
HTML:
http://www.techjailbreak.com/panasonic-launches-a-mini-blu-ray-3d-go-anywhere-panasonic-dmp-bbt01-review-and-specs/

All my music is stored digitally, not purchased a CD in years, all my TV shows and most of my Movies are also digital in fact my 3TB media server is 88% full lol

But that said my wife and I likes to collect blu-rays for films we really enjoy, with all the added extras its worth it but its a shame alot of films are still only Region A and so can't play over here and not many stand-alone blu-ray players can be made region free for blu-ray, those that can are £150+ but most PC/extrenal drives come region free as the makers sell 1 model world wide hence my question.

I had hoped there was a media player style plugin that poeple know of that can play discs

Thanks you sucmnsee I will take alook at that :)

I think I'll do some looking around before I try it, see if I can put it togeather

yea me too plus I've seen plugin like CDRinfo which I'm sure is a DVD info tool so thats why I asked just incase anyone had attached a DVD or Blu-ray drive to their box

Back