Channels freeze like its buffering.

Rustynuts

Hi

This evening we had a young chap call round to fit us and setup a Openbox V8s. A few things that are bugging me one of them is quite major.

Major issue

Iv figured out that the channels with the $ sign next to them are the channels that require the internet connection and this is only happening on these channels hence the reason im calling it buffering. Every now and then the channel will freeze sometimes for a couple of seconds then it will start back up. This is random it could happen a good few times within the hour, then other times it can happen once every so often. Since typing this the tv has frozen 3 times.

Is this standard practice with these sorts of boxes, this is my first ever box of this type. Iv alway had Sky tv. My internet is with Virgin Media and i have the 50mb connection so buffering should not be an issue, the box is connected via Ethernet direct to the router. Apart from my PC there is no other devices connected to the router.

Niggly issues

The EPG (7 day guide) has some of the info missing on a few of the channels. Sky Movies Premier and Premier + plus a few other of the movie channels plus a few sports channels like BT ones. Iv not really gone through the whole list to find out what else is missing but those are the ones that stand out at the minute. If tried updating the file, iv deleted the files off the USB and tried again but each and every time its exactly the same.

When i open up the EPG it freezes the channel im watching, and the channel will not unfreeze until i have fully closed the EPG. (Lad who sold me the unit said this is normal)

To be honest i can live with the EPG issues, its just the random freezes im getting thats annoying me already, was trying to watch the rugby earlier and it froze right on a chuffing try. Missed it and the reply. ggrrrr

Any help would be brilliant. Any info needed just ask and ill happily get it to you.

Thankyou in advance.

there not the best of boxes bud
could also be a gift problem
look for another gift to try
even better look for enigma 2 box

Wow wasnt expecting a reply this quick. Thanks.

I am a proper noob when it comes to this, i have no idea what the term "Gift" refers too. Im sure google will help me out. How would i be able to find out if its a gift problem is there some sort of test i could preform. Iv tried getting in touch with the lad who sold me it (Bought off Facebook) But all his advice was, was to turn the unit on and off again lol

If you have a decent server then these boxes work really well, they always have for me, even though they are cheap. Chances are you have a cheap or not so good server. The epg is normal, when you go to the channel selection screen it also does the same. The missing channels from the epg is also normal, I have this problem with all skyboxes I have used.

Get a test from someone on the server request page that someone has posted above and see if there is a difference in your box freezing or not.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COPY OF YOUR CURRENT SERVER BEFORE YOU UPLOAD ANOTHER ONE!

Glad to know that its a common issue on these boxes with the EPG. To be fair if your looking at the EPG you not watching the channel lol So i can live with that.

The firmware on the unit is 3511HD 141125 i have stumbled across one on the Skybox.cc website that is dated this year called V6_V8_CMT_1412070937.abs but iv not uploaded it to the box as im not 100% sure its right even though every thread iv read about firmware has pointed me into that direct. Dont want to brick the unit on first day of getting it hahahaha.

I had a poke about the settings after i unlocked the CCcam section but when i go into it there is nothing in any of the sub sections, no file names or anything. So not really sure how to save my current server file. Ill keep researching and im sure ill stumble upon it.

To be honest the unit is working very well, the kids are currently glued to it watching Hulk on Disney XD and its not froze once. I was watching Universal last night for a good few hours and it only froze twice. Ill keep learning and getting used to these boxes, like i said iv only ever had Sky. Just need to figure out how to get the signal upstairs into our room like i had with sky but i have a feeling the box i have doesnt offer that feature.

Thanks guys for the help, you have been great..

...I had a poke about the settings after i unlocked the CCcam section but when i go into it there is nothing in any of the sub sections, no file names or anything. So not really sure how to save my current server file...

There are 2 places where your line could be. If you have a C line it must be in Cccam.cfg. If you have an N line, it could be in CCcam.cfg or newcam.list.

Look in menu > network local setting > camds setup > CCcam client setup > manage config files > CCcam.cfg.

If nothing there, look in menu > network local setting > camds setup > MGCamd plug setup > manage config files > newcamd.list.

You can have as many lines as you want in CCcam.cfg & just activate the ones you want. It also tells you if the line is online or not.

In newcam.list, you can only have 1 line at a time, & there's no indicator to tell you if it's online or not.

Turns out mine is a Nline and was indeed located in MGCamd. I think iv saved the file. I went into Tools and Dumped to USB. Now when i look inside the flash drive i have a newcamd.list. Hope thats the right one lol

Kids was watching Disney XD earlier and i had to turn it over cause it was freezing literally every 2 minutes. Changed it over to Sky movies Disney and they have just watch the whole of Princess and the frog movie without a single freeze.

Is this looking more and more like a slow server im connected too? Or am i just expecting to much?

Again thanks

Last edited:
Wow wasnt expecting a reply this quick. Thanks.

I am a proper noob when it comes to this, i have no idea what the term "Gift" refers too. Im sure google will help me out. How would i be able to find out if its a gift problem is there some sort of test i could preform. Iv tried getting in touch with the lad who sold me it (Bought off Facebook) But all his advice was, was to turn the unit on and off again lol

The term Gift in this context is a politically correct way of saying its because of the way you are illegally stealing your PAY TV channels.

Back