cloud ibox 2+se or Openbox v5 (or) 8s?

glensorie

Firstly I apologise if this question has been asked somewhere else!
On a moderately limited budget, I an torn between the above two boxes. The ibox 2+se looks nice because of its twin tuner, skinnable, maybe slightly more involved in setting up etc. The only thing holding me back on this unit is some various complaints regarding booting issues which require reflashing to sort out! Not something I really want to have to be doing even if it's the case of you get what you pay for!.
The Openbox either V5 or V8s seems a more aesthetically basic but usable option and easier to set up.
What do you good people think honestly and unbiasedly. Going for the VU+ and anything else top of the range is frankly out of the question at this moment in time. I just need a good entry level unit that works with a bit of customisability if possible.
Cheers Glensorie

The ibox 2 se is the latest upgrade to the 2+, i am gonna by it just for the remote lol the 2+ remote was/is terrible. The skyboxes are very basic boxes but good for a spare box around the house, very easy to set up but you cant tinker with them. If you like tinkering on a low budget then the ibox 2 + se is the box to have a go with, enigma2 boxes have so many plugins and tweaks to make watching crap tv that little bit more fun lol . you will brick the boxes if you load the wrong firmware, but if you download the firmware from the right place and follow guides on here then you will be ok. good luck

Thanks for the rapid reply crmorris2. Slightly off subject, I've had android phones for a few years now so am used to and enjoy tinkering and customising, so this is why I'm swaying towards the cloud unit. So as long as I follow the guides regarding the correct plugins, skins, bootloaders etc I shouldn't have any problems! I do consider myself pretty meticulous in following instructions.
Cheers again for the fast reply.
Glensorie

Thanks for the reply crmorris2. I did actually reply last night but the message didn't seem to send! I think I'm probably swaying down the Cloud route due to is tinkering possibilities. As long as I stick to the advice on this forum what can go wrong eh!!

You say twin tuner but 2+se is single tuner.
best value twin tuner is zgemma star 2s from same people.
both are great boxs for price. So much better than openbox

Thanks for the correction sucmnsee, this is why I'm on this forum to gain knowledge. Perhaps I should research these boxes before asking the question but, on the off chance..... Where is the best place to purchase one? What I mean is, it seems pretty difficult to just go online and buy a, say, ibox 2+ se or an openbox v8s and be confident its an original and not a clone. Is this the same with the zgemma star 2s? Correct me if I'm wrong but these don't seem to be as mainstream as the previously mentioned boxes (I'm not doubting the quality or the pedigree, same maker as the cloud boxes etc) so it would be safer to buy from most places without the risk of a non original being bought. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm interested in getting one of these boxes on your advice. You can pm me if you don't wish post any sensitive information online.
Cheers for the reply again.

If its a new se version of the 2+ then it hasnt been cloned yet. As the zgemma are new too the same applies.
Someone posted a link to a 2+se for £57 but was a week or two ago.
just be sure the remote has the Airsat A symbol on the adds and you should be pretty safe.
all this is just my opinion. Obviously buyer beware still applies

Cheers sucumnsee. I think I'm going to go down the zgemma star2s route and learn as I go along, with your good people's assistance. So the well known marketplace would be a safe option to aquire one I assume?
Glensorie.

Thankyou sucumnsee I will try the aforementioned to compare prices etc. Thanks again for the rapid reply.......I'm.getting to like it on here more and more. Any other advice will be taken on board and much appreciated
Glensorie......

Hi All

I'm new here and wondering what to get too, a skybox or cloud 2 plus. I take it neither you could really use in the family home 24/7 without the wife nagging at you over some issue when you're not there?????? :) How do you know you have a clone and what is the issue if it is?

Thanks!

Hi bangord30.
I'm relatively new here myself compared to most of the other lads on here and I asked the same if not a very similar question. The outcome of which for me was to take Sucumnsee's advice and plum for the Zgemma star 2s from the same stable as the Cloud I boxes. This was my first box which I got less than 2 weeks ago. This box, being relatively new, hasn't been cloned yet I believe so you are pretty safe in that respect.
Setting up the box yourself can be slightly daunting at first, apparently there are easier ones to set up but I personally can't really comment on them first hand. The easiest and best way is to read up through the posts within the forum then ask questions about what you're not clear on. This is what I did and within no time, not without a couple of hiccups along the way, was able to set things up and get it running sweetly.
You'll always get an answer to your questions and get there in the end. Its nice when it happens.....Like I said the Zgemma is a cracking box for the price, can't comment on anything else really.
Good luck.
Glensorie

Imho the skybox openbox dont give a good enough user experience but are simple to set up. Hen u have to manually update regularly.
The ibox/zgemma or any other enigma2 type box are harder to setup but much better in long run.

Imho the skybox openbox dont give a good enough user experience but are simple to set up. Hen u have to manually update regularly.
The ibox/zgemma or any other enigma2 type box are harder to setup but much better in long run.

That's what I'm thinking actually then I get scared and think will go down the basic route! :)

---------- Post Merged at 04:59 PM ----------

Hi bangord30.
I'm relatively new here myself compared to most of the other lads on here and I asked the same if not a very similar question. The outcome of which for me was to take Sucumnsee's advice and plum for the Zgemma star 2s from the same stable as the Cloud I boxes. This was my first box which I got less than 2 weeks ago. This box, being relatively new, hasn't been cloned yet I believe so you are pretty safe in that respect.
Setting up the box yourself can be slightly daunting at first, apparently there are easier ones to set up but I personally can't really comment on them first hand. The easiest and best way is to read up through the posts within the forum then ask questions about what you're not clear on. This is what I did and within no time, not without a couple of hiccups along the way, was able to set things up and get it running sweetly.
You'll always get an answer to your questions and get there in the end. Its nice when it happens.....Like I said the Zgemma is a cracking box for the price, can't comment on anything else really.
Good luck.
Glensorie

Thanks mate. I'm thinking I'll go for a cloud or gemma box yeah just which one :) Would you say the family can use it and it could be a main box in the liv room 24/7? :)

I'veI've got the zgemma star 2s which now its set up is a breeze to use, anyone can use it me thinks. Why I went for the zgemma over a cloud I box although very similar spec was that there seems to be a few clones of the I box knocking about which made me a tad wary. The safer option for me was the box I chose, which I believe hasn't been cloned yet. Just my personal opinion, the ultimate choice is up to your good self! Good luck matey.

Last edited:
I'veI've got the zgemma star 2s which now its set up is a breeze to use, anyone can use it me thinks. Why I went for the zgemma over a cloud I box although very similar spec was that there seems to be a few clones of the I box knocking about which made me a tad wary. The safer option for me was the box I chose, which I believe hasn't been cloned yet. Just my personal opinion, the ultimate choice is up to your good self! Good luck matey.

Cheers Glen! Where did you get your zgemma from? I can see one on Ebay for £85 delivered but wary

Hi bangord30.
Agree with Sucumnsee regarding the price you've seen for this box. Trust me I've researched quite a few boxes before I took the plunge. Although the Zgemma Star 2s is a couple of rungs down the ladder from the twice the price big guns, for the very reasonable price it certainly packs a reasonable set of specifications (Enigma2, twin tuner....nuff said). You will not be disappointed....once it's set up, not too difficult with a bit of common sense and 'a tongue' in your head.
In answer to your question, I don't think I'm really in a position to give out links that other people have recommended to me, but if you re-read this thread from the beginning......!!!
Good luck matey
Glensorie.

Appreciated all. It's really been a tough choice and i may regret it but I've gone for a blade but it'll be all setup and delivered for less.

Excited! :-)

Back