Coax Split, Is it possible?

robbo87

HI Guys,

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Basically I have a sky+ box and an openbox which I only really use for sport.

I only use one box at a time but at the moment I'm either having to constantly plug a coax from the sky box into the openbox or just run the sky + box in single feed mode.

is there anything that I can use to split one of the cables so that I can use it on the sky + box when needed and when that is turned off the other line will work on the openbox?

I'll only be using one at a time, I know that I can use the loop out from the open box but I don't really want to keep the open box plugged in all the time if it can be helped.

I did try a coax splitter from maplins but it didn't work.

Is there anything that will work or is the loop from openbox the only way?

This one has been discussed dozens of times some people claim to have had success, you probably already have a quad lnb on your dish so just run another cable from the dish it will save a lot of hassle in the end

Just a tip----the openboxes are designed to stay plugged in and when not in use then switch to standby---place a cork under each corner to prevent overheating and allow airflow. The more times you switch the box on and off, then the more chance of bricking it. Buy a quad lnb [very cheap] fit it and give the boxes their own lines in. Not expensive--not difficult.
Reaper.

I've never bricked one yet, treated properly all boxes are good--it's not the box, it's always the lack of knowledge.
Reaper.

mr reaper you and your young blond wife must be big wine drinkers as your always using corks to prop the old sky box up

Thanks for the responses, Unfortunately we do have a quad LNB but all the LNB's are in use, I live with the folks so they have the other 2 on their sky + box.

Plug's are limited in my room so I don't like having things plugged in unless in use but I'll see how it goes with that option.

I may just look into getting rid of both and looking at something like a zgemma which I'd imagine would save a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the responses, Unfortunately we do have a quad LNB but all the LNB's are in use, I live with the folks so they have the other 2 on their sky + box.

Plug's are limited in my room so I don't like having things plugged in unless in use but I'll see how it goes with that option.

I may just look into getting rid of both and looking at something like a zgemma which I'd imagine would save a lot of trouble.

Why do you need a Sly+ box then doesn't really make sense ditch it paying extra for no benefit.

A way you can do this without having to keep flicking would be to keep the box plugged in, use one of the dual feeds from the sky box and plug this into your open box then get another coax cable to loop from the openbox loop to the skybox and the free slot you have generated and this will allow you to still record 1 thing whilst watching another as long as the openbox is in standby, and you can record one thing on your sky box put it in standby and watch something on the openbox, this is my current setup as I haven't had the time (or got the appropriate drill bit) to drill a new hole in the wall to allow me to fit the openbox to the LNB

Back