coaxial cable attenuator

Hey Guys I have been doing some reading up on the signal strength for the kv a780. I am currently getting around 80 to 87% signal strength but I am still experiencing pix-elated picture and scramble issues. During my reading up I found that too much signal can also give you a pix-elated picture. the solution I have found is a coaxial attenuator, this reduces the signal.

After all that waffling I would like to know if anyone here has used a coaxial attenuator, and what were there results.

Thank you all in advance miihackwii.

I have tried using one once for somebody but was a waste of time, in the end it was a poor signal from VM. Someone else may say different if using one succesfuly, so listen to them if someone voices up, but my experience to date says waste of money. Also in my experience I have never came across a signal that is too strong, again I am not saying that can't happen but Ive never seen it and ive set a lot up. Usualy pixilation is caused by weak signal or poor coaxial termination, or poor splitter. Kryptview server issues can also cause it so check with other people who may have one in your area.

jodav :)

not had issues with any A780s with constant freezing etc but the KVHD box has got same issue at moment on several channels like SS4 etc and fix is to install an attenuator although diffrent reductions are working better in different areas so my advice is to buy a variable attenuator less than a fiver on ebay and set it between 10db and 20db and see if it helps. as yet i have not tried this on an A850 HD box but hopefully will have positive results before the weekend is out.

not had issues with any A780s with constant freezing etc but the KVHD box has got same issue at moment on several channels like SS4 etc and fix is to install an attenuator although diffrent reductions are working better in different areas so my advice is to buy a variable attenuator less than a fiver on ebay and set it between 10db and 20db and see if it helps. as yet i have not tried this on an A850 HD box but hopefully will have positive results before the weekend is out.

Thanks for your reply mate, I have just placed an order for the above attenuator. Hopefully this will help solve my issue.

Thanks also to the other guys who took the time to reply. Have a good xmas :)

Barry

Let us know how you get on. I tried a konig amplifier and that made no difference. When I read your reply I was hoping I could also attenuate the signal with this device but it doesn't seem to reduce, only boost.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all

I am delighted to confirm that by using a variable attenuator to reduce my signal it completely solved my glitching problems!

Can also confirm this solved the issue for me as well. Please note however this is a temp fix and future updates will solve the issue without needing to adjust attenuator when switching channels. But at the moment a variable attenuator off eBay less than a fiver will suffice.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, I am very pleased to tell you that using an attenuator has completely solved my glitching.

Last edited:
Different areas and different boxs are working better with different amounts of reduction so best to by a variable attenuator although steer clear of the PROception one in eBay never made any difference when I used that one there are loads of others on eBay less than a fiver look for one with variance up to -20db and I also fitted a -6db inline attenuator I can see these going up in price soon probly never been so popular in years.

Vermin hd boxes are having the same problems, they are now sending out their engineers to put attenuators on their own boxes so kv are not the only ones having problems i am sure this will be sorted out soon, until then your will need to be using these variable attenuators.

Code:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/variable-aerial-attenuator-223051

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones on maplins are half the price on eBay and screwfix etc but there are better ones with the screw on connection which will be more reliable.

Vermin hd boxes are having the same problems, they are now sending out their engineers to put attenuators on their own boxes so kv are not the only ones having problems i am sure this will be sorted out soon, until then your will need to be using these variable attenuators.

The problem with the attenuator you have linked to is that it is for RF not coaxial.

This is the Attenuator I purchased.

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-20dB-Variable-Attenuator-TV-Satellite-Freeview-Cable-/250737177578?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3a6119b3eaator

Both will do the job but Mr T ur attenuator is loose fitting( nothing implied there) and other one is better with screw fixing for f type adaptor however its still over priced for a lot less but seen as we all can't afford to get legit sky or virgin hence here then every penny is a prisoner. :confused:

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270901983423

Maplins only sell attenuators with RF fittings but this is fine if you have an a850 as the input into that box is RF, unlike the f connectors used by the a780 and vermin boxes. We all know they are extortionate compared to your local TV shop or ebay but with xmas around the corner you probably wont get one posted till the new year now. I've already spent £50 on new cables, splitter and a booster to try and sort this issue so another £8 isn't worth worrying about and if it's in stock you can get it straight away.

You can either use an additional flylead or plug the attenuator straight into the back of the a850 if you don't have a flylead.

Just to add if vermin are sending out their engineers to fit these then I can't see them sorting the problem anytime soon, or why would they bother? I think this problem is here to stay so you might as well get one now.

I can also confirm this but for me it was not 100% successful. Some channels still glitching , however have ordered Another attenuator from flea bay with screw fixes to see if there is an improvement as I got one from maplins that uses f plug adapters. Also the attenuator actually made my friends a850 worse. So not sure where I go from there.

Flyin it sounds to me like you need to use a fixed attenuator and then the variable one like barry has done, so you can get more of a reduction.

If an attenuator makes your mates worse then his problem is most likely a weak signal and that could be caused by a number of things as you no doubt know.

Edited to add:

Might sound daft but make sure you cannot turn the knob on the attenuator any further anti clockwise. When I turned it with my fingers I thought it had come to the end but when I used a screwdriver it went quite a bit further. It wasn't until I did this that the glitching stopped. Don't force it though you will know when it can't go any further.

Last edited:
Have acquired a screw type attenuator but need some kind of screw to f plug connector to make use of it or fly lead has anyone overcame this problem.

Back