Compare set-top boxes

Hi,

I am in the process of cancelling my satellite contract and would like a box that can receive as many channels as possible, as well as being able to record and do all the usually pause, rewind and EPG stuff. HD would be very nice too!

After reading a few posts on here I see that the Zgemma H2S and VU+ Solo2 are mentioned a lot, are these the best budget and top spec boxes you guys would recommend?

Also, to record I obviously need to add a USB stick or 2.5" hard drive, are there recommendations for tried and tested combinations please?

As I will be saving quite a few quid per year I don't mind spending a bit on a box to get the equivalent or better experience from my TV.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

Wayne

Hello Donny, one thing i will say do first cancel the sat contract & save yourself a good few bob a year no matter what box you are going buy. i can speak for the zgemma H2.S owning one myself & after knocking out few too family and friends all seems to be 100% satisfied, so i would recommend the zgemma H2.S for it's price £80.

VU+ solo 2 i can't speak for as i never owned one, but a very good box aswell the people who own one would recommend as first box buy.

The setup & cost for zgemma box by satellite 28.2 You will need 1-2 feeds from the dish, 2nd feed if you want to watch one live channel and record program on the another channel, internet: best way first £10 10'meter ethernet cable from the broadband router to the zgemma box you're other option £20-25 Tp links Don't buy usb wireless adapter only problems.

The best Flash image for the zgemma H.2S "highly recommended" Free WooshBuild v5 WooshBuild: For your Enigma 2 satellite box very simple setup it's for any tom dick or harry , If you like you can buy the wooshman a drink for his good work in making life so easy for us all full credit
Usb stick size or hard drive ? All depends on the home users the must record programs like eastenders hate it' now no space to record a football match because of eastenders on my small 16 gig usb, lose 3 gig to start off with and record 1 hour of a standard definition program 800-900 mb used from 13 gig / 1000mb = 1gig so size does matter Donny, shop around buy good named usb like sandisk or good hard drive from argos or pc world forget ebay china 82 days for post goes around the world cheap sh!t.

£15 £20 £25 Buying a reliable server line for the zgemma 6 or 12 month gift line 28.2 E UK-IRISH TV All SD channels + PPV small few HD can you live without high definition Donny ? have you cable ? other option for HD iptv sup thats more money on you if want more channels + HD just have to find the time watch em all. wooshbuild comes with iptv player like kodi in plugins you have online movies tv series loads of add ons like 123 movies,ice films, cartoon hd, yify free, what i would recommend to yourself buy from two different sources 2 x N lines for back up in case of server 1 go down for a sort time you have server 2 to keep the service alive so you would pipe the N lines into newcamd file so Delete the "N:" replace it with CSW = SPACE "myserver line" newcamd file onto usb & use cam importer, it's is just as important to have 2 good server lines than a have high spec sat box without a service its a free to air box "buyer beware" there's good and there is very poor server lines the poor is none stop freezing to no channels but 2 good lines on 1 box you shouldn't have care odd clitch the odd time Ask for 24 test N line see how it goes.

search forms >> Recommend A Good Server For Satellite

best of luck Donny

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say go cable if you can, if you have a tv of 40 inch or less you can get away with sd but anything bigger looks horrible. The zgemma are cheap but personally I would go for a box that will take an internal hard drive I had a zgemma and they are fine for the price but when I bought my vu+ duo 2 I would never go back.

For Virgin do you change your virgin router
just remember seeing that before, but was never sure

That cool thanks for the reply
some one had it up before I was just wondering thanks

as I can now get virgin and I didn't want the extra spend

Hi Kelly,
Firstly, thank you for your very informative reply.
Unfortunately VM/cable is not available in my area yet, so just looking to get the best deal fast broadband.
I understand most of your response, but got a little lost regarding the 'HD iptv sup'?
Sky TV is set to cancel in February, so I need to get my research done by then. I am tempted to buy a Zgemma H2.S and have a play with that first as potentially I have two TV setups with two satellite feeds so I can always get another later once I am happy with how it all works. I have a FireStick running Kodi at the moment but am not that impressed with the sports channels, for movies and catch up it is great though.
Ok, Ethernet cable will be easy enough in the main room as I will probably move the router next to the TV setup anyway.
I like the advice about having two N lines, although I know of one reliable one that my mates use.
Thanks again, much appreciated
Wayne

Go for an xtrend ET 8500 as it a fab box for the money and has an internal hard drive option and can add upto 4 cable or satellite tuners and a nice LCD screen,Good support for them to

Depends on your budget but if your around the H5 price range then go for the edision mini which has a 2 year warrenty and full supports openvix unlike the zgemma range boxes

At the moment lets assume I have no budget and will spend the amount required to get the best box!
I am working on the fact that not having sky TV will save me a fortune, but need to replace it with something. Was going to stick a Humax Freesat box in, but was told to check out this forum first as I like playing with this sort of thing.

If you can stretch to £189 the Mut@nt HD51 is a fantastic piece of kit and amazingly fast. Full OpenViX and OpenATV support and 2 year warranty.
At £169 the Edision OS Mega will give you 3 tuners, Picture in Picture and the same warranty and support.
.... and as Moshbeth said, the ET8500 is another good box that supports up to 4 tuners, also has Picture in Picture, Multiboot etc etc.
all of these boxes can be fitted with an internal hdd so no usb sticks/drives cluttering the place up.
.... and all support cable tuners for future proofing.

Last edited:
i have a vu solo2 excellent fast twin fixed sat tuners,if there is a likely hood of vm coming soon then boxes with swappable tuners is the way.
vu solo2 1tb internal hdd
et 10000 1tb internal hdd
vu zero 2tb external usb hdd [ powered lol ]

ohh forgot all have micro 8gb usb for epg.

Back