Connecting Iphone to home wireless network

pjsmoothie

Hi, i having trouble connecting to my wireless router at home.
router is Netgear rangemax WPN824 V2, all my other stuff PS3 WII, Laptops etc connect no problem.
My encryption is set to WPA-PSK [TKIP]
when i come to put my password in it just says unable to connect ???
i have double checked my password.
Any suggestions :whacko:

have tried all the settings on the iPhone menu none seem to connect , I just keep getting the message unable to connect . Never had this problem with any other device , just type password and it connects , I'll keep trying cheers

Try changing the encryption to WEP if its possible and see if it connects, if not then revert back to your original encryption.

Also have you checked if your router is not on 802.11 N/G, as the iPhone only supports 802.11 N and 802.11 G.

Also make sure that your iPhone hasnt got a manual DNS server set up and it is set to obtain this information correctly.

Have you tried resetting the iPhone and then trying to connect to your network?

i have tried changing it to B only and G only it set as AUTO108mbps at the moment but still doesn't connect, how do you check on the iphone if its set to DNS i cant find that option ?

Sorry mate, i dont know that as i dont own an iPhone, it was only a suggestion and i'm not really sure if it will solve the issue. Another thing you could try is just to remove any encryption from your network (only temporary, for a few seconds, then try and connect to it, if it still doesnt connect then its surely either down the iPhone or the way the router has been configured in compatibility for the iPhone.

When i said to change the encryption to wpa2 what i meant was to change it on your router, log into your router and change the encryption to wpa 2 click on apply and then try to connect the iphone.

I give up, i have tried everything, i even made my wireless router insecure with no encryption but it still didn't connect, i have reset all the network setting on the iphone, i have also tried it on another BT wireless router but i get the same message "unable to connect" if anyone can connect theirs please let me know how its done.

Last edited:
After trying all those different settings there could be a fault with the iphone, i would return it to the store.
You could also try selecting b or g only in the routers settings if its available to see if this helps

might be an idea to go to a local apple store and explain your problem to them as it sounds as if it may be a connection error with the iphoneand if it is they will sort it in seconds and explain to you what to do face to face, i have an itouch and it had no problem connection to my home network - did it almost instantly and as these guys will tell you imcertainly no expert. I cant remember what encryption i have but as i said it connected 1st time.

So go see them and see if it is something simple or something that they need to do. oh i also have N+ router

im coming to the conclusion that my wifi doesn't work on the iphone, since the upgrade to 3.1..3 the wifi doesn't connect. my friend at work can connect to our works router no problem and mine doesn't, looks like ill have to go to an apple store.

Ah the plot thickens, frimware upgrade. It appears your just one out of about 5 million with the same problem. bring it back to apple, let them sort it out!
If i see anything new about it ill let you know, all ive seen elsewhere has already been posted so far, unless there's someway of reverting back to old firmware on the phone? shouldnt have to though.

edit:
I see there is a way to revert to old firmware but personally i wouldnt, get it back to the shops!

by the way, if the phone is out of waranty dont stand for any of there bullshit, their firmware messed it up so let them fix it!

another edit :)
are there any third party wireless connection apps for the iphone you could install to the iphone and try connecting using that maybe? ive also read about some mms update that solved a few problems for people but these really are patchy fixes for the problem if they work!

Last edited:
i have encountered this problem myself a few days ago i have tried resetting my settings but still nothing funny thing is i can pick up my neighbours wifi (he obviously has no password on it) but signal is not very strong just wondering if anyone has any ideas before i go back to the phone shop at the weekend

I now have the iphone4 and have no problems with it connecting to mine or any wifi. Although i did have a few problems with Facetime, could not get it to work on our network. Typical went into the Apple store and asked why and it worked ok in there. I was told it could have something to do with my firewall blocking it etc . I reset my router turned phone off and and retried - going to the garden to check it - and all was well.

However i do have a problem with the Bluetooth, but as its something i dont use very often i will go to store one day to find out why.

PJSmoothie did you manage to get it sorted, if so let us konw what the problem was as it may help out someone else on here.

Back