creating hardlink to timeshift file failed

Kingy67

Hi I keep getting this message as my USB drive it seems is NTFS, why do I have to change it to EXT2 or 3 as once you do this it seems the USB drive can no longer be recognised by my computer if i ever want to use the pen drive for something else.

The Zgemma is a Linux box and uses Linux Ext file system to write timeshift files to. Either buy a decent sized MicroSD to use for epg and timeshift or get USB storage that you don't intend to use for something else.

Ok have tried to convert but now get an error un-
mount cannot forcibly un-mount, device or resource busy ?

It's easier to do it on a PC i've always found. Switch the ZG off and put the usb or microsd on the pc and convert using minitool partition wizard.
Delete the existing partition and create a new primary ext4 partition. Plug it back in the ZG and power on, no need to initialise just go into settings and setup recordings and timeshift, epg etc.

Ok done that and it worked ok, thanks Willo. I am using a 128GB USB drive a quick question though if i can get my USB 500gb hard drive working again what is the easiest way to swap these over do I just tweak the swap file
size and change record and timeshift ?

Is everything on the USB or do you have a microSD as well? Personally I use a use a 32GB class 10 MicroSD with swapfile, timeshift and epg setup on it and just use a hdd for recordings.
If you intend to put everything on the HDD then I would convert it to Ext4, switch off the ZG, swap drives over and then power it up.
You will then have to setup the swap file etc again but you won't need to initialise the drive.

Back