Dead s10 - recoverable or not?

cdy

[h=2]Hi all, my s10 appears to have hit the bricks after 18 months
There's no light on and it doesn't appear to be powering up. However, there does appear to be some life in as it's making an audible noise.
Anything that can be done to resuscitate this box?

Many thanks, as always!
[/h]

it could be a number of things psb board you can buy them. off flee bay or one the resistors could of blown you can get them for a couple of pence as long as you can solder

it could be a number of things psb board you can buy them. off flee bay or one the resistors could of blown you can get them for a couple of pence as long as you can solder

Yeah, I was thinking PSB .....

---------- Post Merged at 05:01 PM ----------

Sadly I don't know how to solder!

I bet it's C11 & C15 on the PSU board. The cheap capacitors used on this board fail fairly quickly. They will normally show this by bulging or leaking.

I bet it's C11 & C15 on the PSU board. The cheap capacitors used on this board fail fairly quickly. They will normally show this by bulging or leaking.

So, good chance replacing the PSU board will revive the box then?

yes that is what i told you to do i just called it a psb (power supply board.) kremmen called it a power supply unit same thing. they cost around £10-15.

yes that is what i told you to do i just called it a psb (power supply board.) kremmen called it a power supply unit same thing. they cost around £10-15.
Yes, but you advised it could be 'a number of things', so I'm just wondering if the PSU/PSB is a 'most-likely' or whether it's a long-shot.
Thanks.

it is the resistors on the power supply board the fix is about 1.00 being as you cannot solder it will cost around 10-15 ponds. there is no gaurntee this is the problem you will have to check it your self. this is what i would do
1. check the fuse in the plug
2. check the wire on the power cable
3. open up the box locate the power supply unit and check the resistors on that. if they are blown replace the resistors or buy a new power supply unit.

Thanks for info. Here's a pic, which doesn't appear revealing at all to me!

---------- Post Merged at 01:56 PM ----------

Any point changing the 1amp fuse in the EU-to-UK plug?

Attachments

• IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0171.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for info. Here's a pic, which doesn't appear revealing at all to me!

---------- Post Merged at 01:56 PM ----------

Any point changing the 1amp fuse in the EU-to-UK plug?

Changing the fuse won't help, as you said in your first post that it was making a noise, so the box seems to be getting power.

Having said that, I would give the 2 wires on the spade terminals on the mains switch a wiggle to see if they are loose. I have come across a few in the past with very loose connections. This caused a fizzing sound as the loose connection was arcing/sparking.

Could you take a closer photo of the bottom half of the PSU board (around C11 & C15) as it looks like the tops of those caps are domed as I suspected.

Last edited:
Back