Definition of a good line?

8eaker

Hi all,
Just wanted to find out what is the signs of a good line.
I'm trialing my first one and seems to work sometimes, but other times, going to a channel just goes to a black screen. Then all subsequent channels (other than FTA) go black. Is this glitching? I initially imagined glitching would be cut outs in service every now and again.
Are my symptoms the sign of a glitching line? Is this normal for all lines?
In a nutshell, what should you expect to put up with? My guess would be that all channels should at least start reliably?
Thanks

Hi
glitch as you said , your problem in the line as many people around offer stable lines not even glitch or something like this -- for channels you can ask provider of line a bout your favorite package or channels and test them before sub

No mate glitch its little freez but screen not going be black --- i think you have to find a stable line to see difference in practice not words

Thanks for tips. I've re-run the Ethernet and seems ok right now. I'll see how it goes for the remainder of the trial.

I would say what you should expect from a stable line is something like this.

Majority of the time steady viewing, no glitches.

When there is a big match on for instance and lots of people are viewing
a few glitches here and there.

As above a glitch is just a slight freeze in the picture and sound, if you have watched a match
in a pub then you will know what I mean.

It can be down to either your own internet set up or your server generally.

So you need to eliminate as many potential problems as you can at your end,
such as hard wire the box to the router with an ethernet cable or use homeplugs,
try not to use a WiFi connection if poss.

Don't hammer your internet use while watching, eg, kids with Xbox live, streaming to Ipads, downloading
films or music etc.

Assuming your end is ok, then it's probably an oversubscribed server.

Don't cheap out with your server, good ones are cheap enough for what they provide.

Last edited:
Well, it seems it was down to a dodgy rj45 wire on my part. It worked, kind of, but pinging my box from PC showed lots of dropped packets. Turns out, one of my wires in the plug was in the wrong slot - just one. It still worked, but slowly. Put on a new plug, and its been faultless since ;-)
I'm in awe at the power of these boxes. Set up OpenVPN on the box and I can now securely access my box and watch anything from anywhere on my mobile. These things really rock!
I was sceptical at first, but it blows the Sky HD box out of the water and so much more flexible!
Honestly, I am stunned. So glad I found out about these boxes. And to think, I gave Sky my 30 day notice to cancel hoping for a better deal. Not a chance of taking it now!
Thanks guys!

Back