DELETE AMAZON UPDATES WITH THIS NEW TOOLBOX

The update blocker and debloat tool won't work on some of the later Fire OS 6 & 7 firmwares.

The only way I have found to block the latest updates which will stop you using alternative launchers is as below.

1. Remove any downloaded but hopefully not yet installed updates using adb shell.

How to stop a software update in progress from installing on a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick

2. Put the URLs that Amazon use for updates in the block list for your router.

How to block software updates on the Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick

Follow Method 3 - If you can't do this under parental controls on your router, you CAN do it using the rather useful Pihole DNS blocker application for a Raspberry Pi, which will allow you complete control over DNS queries and also will encrypt DNS queries so your ISP can't spy on you or implement controls. Its a bit of IT to set it up but well worth the effort in the long run.

The above results in an "Update error" when you check for new updates.

Hope that helps some of you.

Last edited:
New update blocks the ability to use custom launchers...

A family member has just gave me a new FireTV stick to set up for them and I can't seem to find a way to bypass the update during setup, so it's dead on arrival by the looks of things. Thankfully, I blocked updates on all my other relatives' sticks ages ago. It's a shame as I'm going to need to find a new affordable box/stick I can recommend to people, wouldn't put up with Amazon's interface in a million years.

DELETE AMAZON UPDATES WITH THIS NEW TOOLBOX​

This new method works perfect I have just done it on my cube it stops the box updating so Amazon can't change anything

Last edited:
is thr interface really all that bad that this is necessary. I can still access all my main apps very easy.

I'd also be worried that security patches would get blocked

Depends on whether you dislike being bombarded by Amazons advertising everytime you switch on. Interfaces like Wolflauncher are so much cleaner and nicer.

Depends on whether you dislike being bombarded by Amazons advertising everytime you switch on. Interfaces like Wolflauncher are so much cleaner and nicer.

So put a launcher on and avoid amazon advertising then start watching TV and you're bombarded with advertising anyway.

honestly I do. but when I switch it on its pretty much just one app I use. I click and I'm watching a show instantly.its not a big deal for me.

blocking updates may hurt the device long term and possibly make your data less secure.

I put wolflauncher on then immediately had problems with using the downloader app, you're still faced with loads of useless apps on the front page or did i just not get far enough into it?

You didn't go far enough mate. Downloader works fine for me. You can create sections, move/hide/delete apps etc. Just have a play around in the menu. Its a great tool.

Back