Difference between avi files and mkv files

Linny after you plug in the HD to the ps3 it show show a little pic of usb device in the XMB menu under "Video" then just hit the triangle button and it should then give you the oprion to "display all" then you can either watch the videos from the HD of just copy them to the PS3's hard drive.

Another option you can use is just install PS3 media server to your pc then you can just stream the videos from you pc to the PS3 and the bonus of using ps3 media server is it will also show any external HD's that are connected to your pc.

Is there an issue with the PS3 playing these files and audio problems from the HDD or thumb drive? I've let a friend of mine borrow my backups of BR discs and he says the audio is either messed up or goes for a few minutes then never comes back on... I don't have any issues playing these on a stand alone player just wondering about the PS3 and it's capabilities with files instead of DVD's. :)

If your ps3 is connected online, I wonder if it is their drm that is preventing you to play the files. During one of their last updates, I I had hear about them putting in drm protection to keep from playing movies that aren't on the original disks.

I don't have a PS3, it's just my friends PS3 as from what I've read the issue is a 'conversion' audio problem and it's something that was taken care of recently with a "newer" program or maybe updated one. I really don't care as it's not my problem... LOL

I use a simple $40 stand alone to play discs so if it doesn't work correctly I can bin it and get another one.... :cheesy grin:

Actually I have 2-3 on the shelf waiting that I've nabbed at garage/estate sales the last year or so. (y)

Tutorial:

I knew that you could watch videos from a USB drive on the PS3, but I kept struggling when trying to get it to work. I would often end up with the message There are no titles appearing instead of the videos I expected. Luckily, I found the proper way.

1. Copy a supported video file to the drive using your computer.

2. Remove the drive from your computer and plug it into the PlayStation 3.

3. Select Videos.

4. Scroll to and highlight the USB Device in the list.

5. Press the Triangle button on the controller.

6. Select Display All.

ps3-usb-device.png

7. Choose the video file you wish to play. Use the X button to select.

ps3-usb-vide-files.png

I kept pressing the X button when I had USB Device highlighted, and that was where I erred.

Linny after you plug in the HD to the ps3 it show show a little pic of usb device in the XMB menu under "Video" then just hit the triangle button and it should then give you the option to "display all" then you can either watch the videos from the HD of just copy them to the PS3's hard drive.

no nothing shows up! will take some pix when i have added HD
OK seems the HD will not show up on either Xbox or PS3 But when i plug in a pen drive they show up on both!

would it be due to the HD being formated to exFAT - which was the only choice i had when formating either that or NTFS
took some pix with pendrive and HD in ps3 for you anyways
HD on top of ps3 and screen to show it not showing up
fe55d8a8.jpg

6f9e33cd.jpg

with pen drive in
a16dcae1.jpg

09c0b643.jpg

Last edited:
after googling exFAT and how to change i have found a programme called Super Fdisk which should change my HD from exFAT to FAT32 so it can be used on the game consoles
So before i go ahead and install and try this has anyone heard of it - as obviously i trust you guys more than google lol!

Sometimes i do wonder why we do all this lol But when you see your saving ££££££ its worth it. by watching my films on my HD i have saved the price of at least 4 DVD's or blurays this weekend :)

Last edited:
Hi Linny

Look for a program called "swiss knife" V3, this will allow you to format the drive to "FAT32" it seems that windows XP will not allow "FAT32" formatting.

Hopefully this will work.

im on windows7 but thanks I will look up swiss Knife.

It seems for and hard drive to work on game consoles they have to be FAT32 - and ive learnt that anything over 32gb cannot be formatted to Fat32 it will be formatted to exFAT
So basically you can only use a pen/flash drive and largest ive seen is 16gb.
So its progs like the one i mentioned and the swiss knife that will format to FAT32 Super Fdisk says
Create, delete and format partitions on IDE/ATA/SATA/SCSI hard disk drives without destroying data with Super Fdisk, a driven disk partition manager.
so sounds like to me it can be done with data still on the HD - although i do have a back up!

well as mentioned to Dan on my Rant thread after all my hard work decoding from what i thought was from MKV to AVI turned out my bluray player still wont pick the films up, for some reason they were coded into MPEG4 movies ( i didnt think to check the settings and assumed it would auto convert to avi - oops ) . So i ve just gone onto other pc and looked at the films and now transcoding from MPEG4 to Xvid - see if that works - being sensible now i am only doing 1 film to see if it works lol!

suppose that will teach me for being impatient and trying to do the lot without checking!!

no more downloads now til friday lol i know Salt is 1 hubby wants. And from the ones i have looked at seems that ones that have just come out at cinema are not a gooda copy as the ones that are new out on DVD! so again need to be a bit patient. Although on saying that RIO was perfect as was one of the unstoppables i have.
so if anyone has and good places they use that have smaller files feel free to pm me lol! will check Master Dans files and see what he has on here 1st - of course :)

Last edited:
Why don't you just down them in Xvid and have a life too

well now i know what format i need i will be looking ! lol
hubby would say just go to Asda But that would cost him a packet coz i wouldn't stop at 1 film and then theres the clothing section and food etc oh and dont forget the wine section :) oh and the petrol LOL! so yup saving a packet and time now i know to look for the likes of Divx/Xvid :) more time for my new hobby! :(

well h ave had a busy day today dld'ing xvid or avi's lol! so got a few to chose form this evening. :)

I know the intent of your thread has pretty much been answered, but technically your title question has not. And that is "Difference avi files and mkv files. The answer could be everything, and just as easily be nothing. Both AVI and MKV refer to the containers that house the audio and video files. Much like we refer to ISO as a disk container, knowing that within it lie a number of files that actually do the work.

The AVI container is older and more restrictive on what can be contained within it. Usually a video source of Divx or Xvid and audio of MP3 or AC3.

The MKV container is much newer on the scene and overcomes many of the limitations that were present with AVI. It is able to contain a large multitude of differing audio and video formats, of which Xvid is included. Although many take advantage of the quality that AVC (advanced video coding) offers. Audio is also present in various formats from MP-3 to the AC-3 directly from the DVD stream. It also offers advaced features such as chapter entries, selectable subtitle/audio/video streams, and menus.

The technical aspects could go on and on but that is the gist (a very general one) of it.

As I said, I know that falls outside of your intent but for those who click on this based on the title, perhaps it will help them. :)

thanks for that ferg. It does help me understand as it seems more people are using the mkv. So wonder why my bluray player wont recongnise them as its fairly new ( xmas)
As you say the thread seems to have progressed technically without the answer but with useful info.
So thanks for your post!

In this thread alone i have learnt quite a lot as i hope others have too!

Added after 3 minutes:

Crosses fingers that they all play

hope so after all my hard work lol! otherwise its crud tv tonight :) ........... ok so we got some real DVDs we still not seen yet

Last edited:
Even though MKV is gaining popularity with the encoding community, to my knowledge it has very little support from the manufacturing side. The are a number of devices out with avi/divx capability, but that has taken years to just get that, the AVI container has been around since the days of windows 3.1.
If your interest lies in having files easily played on your standalone player, then follow the advice already given for what you should download. Even the very media capable PS3 has issues at times with the newer stuff.

Linny easus partition master will format any drive to fat32,what firmware are you on on this ps3,for stand alone blueray players RichDevx has a decrypter for these which will allow region unlocking,how far along this is i'm not sure but will look into it,as for converting mkv to avi,i never had any look with that either the sound was off or the video was in slow motion

Back