Different Types Of DVD/Blueray Drives??

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Playstation 3 replacement Drives
A neighbour knows that i have an unhealthy appetite for taking apart games consoles, and sometimes I even get them back together properly lol
here is my question, he asked me if there is a way of replacing the DVD drive on the fat PS3, I have looked at youtube and found a tutorial, but before I order the parts, are there different types of drive, or can I just simply order from dealextreme or someone like that.
Then, secondly, after you jailbreak a PS3, am I correct in saying that you need an external hard drive to put games onto, it's not like an XBox, where you burn discs and play that way.
Cheers,
Wheelo.

okay, so i did some more research, and can find two types of mechanism, one with two lasers and one with one. is this correct first off, and second, do i have to open the PS3 to find out which, or is the serial number have any clues in it?

Ps3's not my area wheelo, maybe sinno might know more about this one.
Although if its like the xbox its not just a matter of taking out the old one and putting in a new one.
What fault is wrong with the old one?
Youll have to take it apart anyway to replace the drive so i would just to get the exact make and model and go from there.
You could then get away by taking the pcb from the old drive and just putting it into the new one as id imagine, like the 360, the drive and motherboard have communication between each other to say 'hello i belong here'

as far as i can tell, the DVD drive is no longer reading disks, he has tried cleaning the lens, though I might get the PS3 off him to try it myself.

He also wants to know can he Jailbreak it, but from my reading, he needs a disk in the drive to play from the HD, so i presume the laser has to be working.

If he repleced the laser in it there's usually an antistatic blob of solder that has to be de-soldered before it functions.
Ask him did he notice anything like that.
Another thing on the xbox lasers thats done is called a Pot calibration where you can tweak the sensitivity of the lens

Code:
http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/XBOX_36...1.0_by_Moda.pdf

Obviously settings may vary for the ps3 but its something else to look at.

Back