Do homeplugs have to be paired?

gsc1ugs

Hi

I have 3 linksys plek500's do they have to be paired? i have one in the router, one downstairs and one upstairs, upstairs is not working, do i have to put another out back of the router then in the wall or not meaning four used?>

Yes mate, you need to pair the first two then subsequently the 3rd one. It appears you successfully paired the one in the router and the one downstairs. Follow the same procedure to pair the one upstairs with the one in the router...

No, you don't need another"transmitter" at the router, giving you 2 senders, they should be plug and play as long as you never added security in the first place, try the one thats not working upstairs, downstairs and make sure it works there, as you could have different fuse boards or circuits upstairs

No, you don't need another"transmitter" at the router, giving you 2 senders, they should be plug and play as long as you never added security in the first place, try the one thats not working upstairs, downstairs and make sure it works there, as you could have different fuse boards or circuits upstairs

gmangt4, if he hasn't paired the one upstairs like he did with the one downstairs, it isn't going to work mate. He should do the pairing as he did with the downstairs one - nothing to do with plugging it into the router (assuming he did the pairing himself initially)

Ive just spoke to LINKSYS support, they said only one needs to come out of the router, the one upstairs seems to be on a differnet circuit breaker so it wont work, another question, are extension no good>? I've just tried an extension from downstairs to upstairs and it still did not work.

Ive just spoke to LINKSYS support, they said only one needs to come out of the router, the one upstairs seems to be on a differnet circuit breaker so it wont work, another question, are extension no good>? I've just tried an extension from downstairs to upstairs and it still did not work.

If you are sure it is on a different circuit, then you are buggered - it won't work. Just ensure you've done the normal pairing. And no, extensions are not advisable on homeplugs - hence they insist on same circuit.

He never paired them and was not asking that he was asking if each set needed a source at the router, to which the answer is no, it looks like he's on a different fuse/circuit board so they wont work,

What extension you mean? Electrical, they are not recommended, wireless might be an option although not recommended

He never paired them and was not asking that he was asking if each set needed a source at the router, to which the answer is no, it looks like he's on a different fuse/circuit board so they wont work,

What extension you mean? Electrical, they are not recommended, wireless might be an option although not recommended

Gman, he has managed to confuse me then - look at the title lol

Gman, he has managed to confuse me then - look at the title lol[/QUOTE]

LOL, yes it was a tad confusing!

Long ethernet or wireless N dongle if your wireless network is ok? I have used the one for the Skybox/openbox F5S when wireless HAD to be used as they are only a fiver on a well known auction site

i've just bought abd set up my new box with powerline bought with the box from wos, it was just a plug and play. i did have some connection problem and i think it has been answered here (will try later when i get home) i plug the one near to the router in the wall socket and the one downstairs in an extension socket. so i now need to plug this into the wall socket

when making the selection was told it needed to be in the same circuit for it to work. i'm not sure the upstairs socket and the downstairs are on the same circuit but took the plunge as was told powerlines preferred to wifi. so it was working then it wasn't and this morning it was working again. so maybe the extension is my problem

Last edited:
homeplugs on different circuits,my router is upstairs so 1 homeplug from router into a single wall socket not double-where ever upstairs needs lan plug into single wall socket to unit.

downstairs ohh no dont work so another homeplug from wall socket with cat 5 through a hole in the ceiling to another homeplug into downstairs wall socket linking upstairs and downstairs together.
best get expert advice when doing this way.

eventually ran cat 5 to many rooms and use an 8 port lan switch now.

dont use extensions as most likely surged protected,and if plugging into a double wall socket with something in other socket expect a lower speed.
newer homeplugs can take a 13 amp plugged into it for other uses.

Back