Draught excluders for doors.

cactikid

VIP Member
Getting to that time of year to update and lessen draughts in an old 1960s house . House had got external aluminium strips with a flat rubber side to contact outside of door to seal it.
40 odd years later hall door has warped and seal is not touching door and had to get front of house repainted as neighbours are selling house next door.

Strips were removed to allow paint to dry fully and be refitted if new seals are available.
Forgot to photo the strip and grey rubber to see if they differ to whats on the market. looking at the rubber it is T shaped to slide into the groove but unsure if sizes as i see shapes differ for my needs..

Need to do a few inner doors and found my stockpile of p shaped adhesive to use on them.
Cutting down on draughts should allow house to be warmer in the winter.

Ensuite toilet has an extractor fan wired to light inside and i modified the grill vent in wall with a 3 blade that is opened by air and closes when no air.
Some of the blades have stuck open and lets the wind into the house again and need to modify the blades with some silicon on the bottom to make it heavier and close again.

With the price of gas and electricity one needs to start reducing usage from leaks.

So does anybody know if there are many internal sizes on rubbers into the groove is what i need to know?

warped metal frames, what we used to do is -

open the door / window

seal round the rebate of the frame with silicone and smother the door or window in vaseline where it will come into contact with the frame when shut.

allow it to dry for 24hrs then trim off the excess.

Its an old wooden door with decorative glass with lead inserts.
Door has only been painted and not putting vaseline on it.

I have been checking whats out there and my eye is on universal rubber for upvc doors and would take white as frame is white also.

I have been checking whats out there and my eye is on universal rubber for upvc doors and would take white as frame is white also.
Universal rubber for upvc doors.

For an old painted wooden door?

Is it at the bottom where it meets the threshold?

Universal rubber for upvc doors.

For an old painted wooden door?

Is it at the bottom where it meets the threshold?
No the bottom plate had to be replaced as the rubber wore out and split , no longer able to get replacement rubber so bought a new floor plate and its doing its job,
Sides and top across the door frames i need to replace.

@jigger121 yes have viewed many and might have to bring top unit to Screwfix to check size wise to fit the track.
There is no name on the ones i have.

No the bottom plate had to be replaced as the rubber wore out and split , no longer able to get replacement rubber so bought a new floor plate and its doing its job,
Sides and top across the door frames i need to replace.

@jigger121 yes have viewed many and might have to bring top unit to Screwfix to check size wise to fit the track.
There is no name on the ones i have.
A photograph might give us a better idea of what you are looking for

Profile plates with the T shaped rubber slid out slightly

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_094023.jpg
    IMG_20231010_094023.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231010_094052.jpg
    IMG_20231010_094052.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231010_094135.jpg
    IMG_20231010_094135.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 17
warped metal frames, what we used to do is -

open the door / window

seal round the rebate of the frame with silicone and smother the door or window in vaseline where it will come into contact with the frame when shut.

allow it to dry for 24hrs then trim off the excess.

We used to use wd40 not vaseline to stop the silicone sticking does the same job, as its only there to stop the silicone sticking to the door before it's fully cured no harm will come to the door.

Was up in Screwfix but their seal was too big to slide into the groove.
Stormguard upvc replacement seal is a no go 😂

Attachments

• image_2023-10-10_152021356.png
    image_2023-10-10_152021356.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 5
Lucky i had stocked up on one 30 years ago Excitex still in packet and part fitted to the side of door with the biggest gap. Not breezy so far and not switched heat on yet.

Back