Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac

homesick

VIP Member
TK Supporter
One Click Root Version for Linux and Works for Mac, too!

This is still a work in progress! Gonna call it 3.3 (I went through 3 previous versions). It takes the 2.2.1 version and adds a user interface. Nice, easy, clean. In order to run this script, you need to chmod (change permission) of the .sh file, and then execute it.

Download the file here: http://kimete.com/droid/beta/dorootv3.sh
It is good for both Linux and Mac. All you have to do is execute it and the script will download all the appropriate files for you!

How to run this in Ubuntu/Linux
How-to video here: YouTube - Sneak Peek and How-to the new DORoot Script!
Note: General idea. You no longer need to update android-sdk, though.
1. Download the file.
2. Right-click the file, choose properties, choose the permission tab, and check executing file as program, close window
3. Double-click the file, choose Run in Terminal, and it'll start.
4. Choose 1 for install and root. Choose 2 for root process only. Only good if you've rooted using this method before, or you need to reroot your phone. Choose 3 to unroot. Choose 4 for credits/donation information. Choose 5 to exit. Choosing other numbers... :P

How-to for Mac
How-to video here: YouTube - Sneak Peek and How-To for DORoot Version 3 on Mac
Note: General idea. You no longer need to download and install android-sdk anymore.
1. Download dorootv3.sh. Best to put it on your desktop.
2. Open a terminal. Go to the magnifying glass and type in terminal, and then select it.
3. Next, you need to change permissions. Type in the terminal chmod 0755 followed with a single space. Then drag the dorootv3.sh into terminal.
You should see something like this chmod 0755 /user/(file path)/dorootv3.sh. Press enter.
4. Now run your file by dragging the file into the terminal again and pressing enter!
5. Now choose and option...

New version of rooting for Linux and Mac! Version 2.2.1!

Linux 2.2.1: http://www.kimete.com/droid/beta/DoRootLinux_221.zip

Mac 2.2.1: http://www.kimete.com/droid/beta/DoRootMac_221.zip

General Instructions:

1. Extract the files.
2. Change the permissions on the doroot.sh file
3. Run doroot.sh file.

Instructions for Linux and Mac

1. Extract the respective files to somewhere accessible. Your home directory or desktop is idea. The file comes in a .zip file. Just open it up and drag and drop the DoRootMac or DoRootLinux folder.
2. Make sure you phone is in PC Mode with USB Debugging enabled
PC Mode: Notification blind -> USB connection -> PC Mode
USB Debugging: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
You need USB debugging icon showing in notifications. Try Charge Only if you can't get PC Mode to show USB debugging.
3. Navigate to the folder in terminal.
example: [cd /DoRootMac or cd /DoRootLinux]
4. enter [chmod 0755 doroot.sh] then run it [./doroot.sh]
5. Let it run.
6. That's it, you are done.

One Click Root for Windows

Here's the Windows version. Facelessuser pushed this through and worked his magic. Give it a try. Very exciting stuff. I haven't used it yet, but according to him, it should work!

Download here, Ver. 2.1.4:
http://www.kimete.com/droid/beta/DoRootWin_2.1.4.zip

Instruction for Windows:
How-to video here: YouTube - How-to root your Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X (Updated Windows Version)

1. Extract the folder from the DORoot zip file to your desktop. You should be moving 7 or 8 files into the tools folder.
2. Install Motorola Drivers
(Tip, to stop the launching of the Verizon/Motorola site, go to the MotoConnect icon in the bottom righ, right click, when phone connects, nothing.)
3. Make sure you phone is in PC Mode with USB Debugging enabled
PC Mode: Notification blind -> USB connection -> PC Mode
USB Debugging: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
You need USB debugging icon showing in notifications. Try Charge Only if you can't get PC Mode to show USB debugging.
4. Double-click and run doroot.bat
5. Let it run.
6. That's it, you are done.

Motorola Drivers (if you are using Windows) which can be found here:
http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-E...arging-Drivers

Many thanks to facelessuser for working his magic!

====
====

How-to Videos

Video of the Rooting Process for D2 and DX by Steve@Wimervision
For Windows/Mac/Linux
YouTube - Howto Root Motorola Droid X and 2 running 2.2 Froyo Win7/Mac/Linux

Video of the Rooting Process for D2 and DX by DarkOnion
For Windows
New: YouTube - How-to root your Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X (Updated Windows Version)
Old: YouTube - How to Root Droid 2 (also Droid X)

How to use the ADBDL.sh file by DarkOnion
For Mac and Linux
YouTube - How to use adbdl.sh for Droid 2 and Droid X Root on Froyo 2.2
=====
=====

Frequently Asked Questions

What is do these files/programs/scripts do?
These scripts will root your Droid 2 or Droid X phone with the least amount of user input as possible.

Why should we use this method and not another method?
All the methods are based off the same process/procedure. If you feel like doing MORE work, we can't stop you. The reason why we wrote all these scripts is to expedite the process, make the procedure easier, and to reduce human input which reduces the chance of human error.

Is there anything I need to know in order to successfully root my phone?
Yes. READ THE DIRECTIONS. Read the directions first. A lot of people make errors because they don't read the directions. I've also provided links to my video and another video which outlines the root process. Both are only a few minutes long.

Root failed! What do I do?
Run the script again! Most people succeed on the first or second try. Usually the rest by the third try.

Do I have to install Android SDK and update it?
It depends. The new Linux/Mac version does not require you to. The windows one, we are still working on.

Does this work on other phones?
I can't answer that. I know it works for Droid 2 and Droid X.

Wait a minute, this isn't really one-click! What's the deal?
Deal with it. Don't like it, try the 25+ step process.

When I open up the Superuser app, I get a blank screen.
That is NORMAL. Superuser lists the processes/applications that you've allowed superuser access to. If you haven't allowed anything, then it will be blank.

How do I test if I have root or not?
Try downloading an app like Wireless Tether (published by Google), and running it.

What USB connection mode do I set my phone to?
PC Mode or Charge Only. Choose the one that comes up with USB Debugging.

I am not very good with computers. Is this something I can do?
Oh yes! The key to success is following the directions.

How do I update Android SDK?
On Windows, you just need to double click the SDK Manager.exe. On Linux/Mac, you need to go into terminal, navigate to the tools folder in the android sdk folder, and run this command ./android update sdk. More information can be found in the SDK Readme text file. On Windows, double-click and run the SDK Manager.

I am getting stuck at the "daemon not found/daemon is starting" part. What do I do?
You need to fumble with the settings on your phone. You don't need to close the terminal. Change between PC Mode and Charge Only mode until it starts to continue. If that still doesn't work, also try disabling then enabling USB debugging for each mode.

Why does my anti-virus tell me that the files contain Trojan's?
The files are exploits and hack your phone. Don't worry, they are clean. However, to be safe, do not download from any other source than the ones linked in this post.

=====
=====

Reporting an Error or a Problem

You can report errors right here in this thread. Make sure you give us as much information as possible. List what operating system you are on, what phone you have, at what part of the script you had errors, and anything else you may have tried or done. The more information you provide us, the better we understand situations. Posting up pics or logs of the terminal is extremely helpful.

=====
=====

Change log for 1-2-3 Root

Version 0.0 - 25+ step tutorial on how to root D2 on Windows and Mac

Version 1.0 - Initial scripts to streamline processes and reduce user error in Ver. 0.0.

Version 2.0 - Streamline of multiple scripts into 1 script. Minimal commands. Minimal work. With error checking and reporting.

Version 2.1 - addressed issue where remnants of a previous root would not allow root to complete

Version 2.1.1 -

-Cleanup code.
-Address issue where I thought I was killing a hanging rage, but I wasn't (It was a syntax thing)
-Fix for ERROR6 or ERROR5 (this was drastically different than what I did in windows. I wasn't returning exactly a string in format I thought when doing the check, so I had to do some ridiculous stuff to process it.)
-Better error resolution. (more error checking)
-Refined unroot.
-Reboot if you had files from a previous root
-Now the script will automagically download needed root files if they are not in your folder. (If you are behind a proxy, make sure your mac or linux has curl or wget configured for proxies respectively)
-Longer wait before remount (I had it not remount because it was busy once)

Version 2.1.2 -

Linux and Mac
Contains everything windows 2.1.1
Unroots non bootstrapped phones too

All
Contains option to unroot

Version 2.1.3 - Added dounroot.bat

Vesion 2.1.4 -

-Fix bug where people were getting a false ERROR5 because they already had Superuser.apk
-Hide killing of busybox before unroot

Version 2.1.4 - Files are standalone. No need to download Android SDK anymore.

Version 2.2.0 -
-adb included, no SDK needed
-abort if cannot find adb
-remove alternate busybox at /system/xbin and /system/bin when unrooting
-remove alternate busybox at /system/xbin when rooting and installing busybox at /system/bin
-No more hang in exploit...I hope
-Clean up code

Version 2.2.1 - minor revision to code (curl related)

DarkOnion's DoRootv3

Version 3.0 - set-up menu's, added error checking, will detect which OS you are on

Version 3.1 - fixed issues with ADB SDK User interfaces

Version 3.2 - adapted to DoRoot 2.2.1

Version 3.3 - edited code for easier understanding and modifications

=====
=====

References:

Original procedure produced by Sebastian Krahmer
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...00&postcount=1

Tutorial/How-to Root Droid 2 on Windows by DarkOnion
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=164

Tutorial/How-to Root Droid 2 on Linux/Mac by DarkOnion
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=340

Hey Homie, you been away learning droid stuff?, just sold your XBOX but found a new gadget to play around with. good start to your latest TechKings career(y)

Back