F3 and external hardrive

Shiv

TK Veteran
Hi
I bought 1tb external hardrive for my f3 box, I didn't realise that the hardrive is powered via a plug. I just wanted some advice is it advisable to leave the plug switched on for days,weeks,months? Or is it better to switch it off when hardrive is not in use? If left on for days,etc is there chances of the hardrive overheating etc???

Regards

Hi
I bought 1tb external hardrive for my f3 box, I didn't realise that the hardrive is powered via a plug. I just wanted some advice is it advisable to leave the plug switched on for days,weeks,months? Or is it better to switch it off when hardrive is not in use? If left on for days,etc is there chances of the hardrive overheating etc???

Regards

Personally i would turn it off as the hdd will still be spinning inside so if you are not using it turn it off.

Don't know is it's the same on a PC as an F3 - but on my external USB drive (which also has a external power supply) the drive does not spin if the pc is switched off, and as soon as the pc is switched on then the drive comes on as well.

I guess it's because when there's no 5v supply on the USB bus then the drives switches off as well?

Back