Focus hesitation

hooby369

Hi
I have a Focus 1.6 2004 well looked after just had service with plugs etc. It has a hesitation/misfire pulling away in any gear at low revs. I gave it some Wynns formula wotsit but has made no difference whatsoever so am i correct in thinking it is probably/more than likely the coil pack (although i realise it could be many things). If it is are cheaper coil packs ok or do i need to feed the corporate giants greed. Thanks for helping.

we get alot of focus in and the odd ones when pulling up coil leads as said they are rusty stained,usual cause running through floods too quick and windsreen washer on bonnet not sealed alowing water to drip onto engine,plug leads and coil packs are now sold as kits for these cars,there are 2 different coils so be aware,not interchangeable.from motor factors.air breather pipe under manifold can go causing air hiss you will hear it if gone.

core plug leaking would cause loss of water of cooling system and if core plugs weaped you will also get the smell of burnt antifreeze when engine is hot,that comes from plastic thermostat housing od waterpump weepage also.rusty water stain is from rain as coolant/antifreeze leaks build up a crust of weepage.

dont rule out the throttle position sensor as well as the mass airflow sensor. a good scanner will show up a bad tps pretty easily but ive seen the maf sensors fail with no codes and hard to pin down from the data stream. have it scanned for sure.

There's a rubber crankcase breather hose with an elbow joint that splits/collapses frequently, that can cause this it is a common fault.

So can a Dirty Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), gets some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF too.

See how you go.

Get a cheap code reader maxiscan or the like you can read/clear the codes with them and google the code to see what is causing the fault ' the code readers are cheap but work ok

Any ideas on this I have a ford focus 1.6 , its a 61 plate mk3 model petrol it seems very sluggish and lacks power also sound growly. And when just slightly revving the engine it stutters and sometimes backfires any suggestions

Thanks for the info fitted a new MAF tried coil pack also leads and plugs but they could do with getting changed at some point but when I pop the bonnet it sounds like a vaccum leak from around the manifold can you suggest anything else

Not 100% sure on your manifold but on the earlier focus there is 2 small plastic bkanking plugs and the go brittle over time and eventually get a hole in them and theres also a vacuum pipe that goes from the rear of the manifold to the front of the engine and over time it collapses on itself its the main crankcase breather pipe

Yeah could be the voltage out of range on the tps etc normally a vacuum leak would put the revs up constantly etc have you had it scanned for any fault codes ?

Yeah no codes or engine management light on seems rough on startup from cold but also when dropping into 2 gear for example and putting the foot down its very sluggish on the pickup quite scary sometimes at a roundabout

Backfiring as you mentioned earlier usually points to a fueling fault or electronic ignition coil pack etc not heard a car backfire from vacuum leak or similar.
Do you get the dreaded catalyst rotten egg smell at any point.

No eggy smells mate its just backfired twice I think not that often would it do it all the time if it was fuel or electronic?

No not necessarily it can be very intermittent when doing it.
The best thing you can do it take it to a local independant garage for a check because it could be a number of things and no point changing random things because it could get very costly when trying to narrow down a fault.

Yeah I know what you mean by money pit but do you think would a diagnostic check find anything even with no management light on?

Back