From Zgemma Star S to a new box?

1vincent

Hello.

I have posted in Wooshbuild thread about an issue i was having.
http://www.techkings.org/threads/wooshbuild-support-thread.109525/page-255
post No.5085 gives my problem. I have also started to get freeze ups on the box playing IPTV player now so it maybe the box is knackered.

After trying different builds and not getting anywhere i am thinking of getting a new different box.
My setup now is aerial from sky digibox downstairs feeds my Toshiba hdd/dvd freeview recorder box which is connected to the tv.
Lead from dish goes to Zgemma box and that connects by hdmi lead to the tv.
What i want to do now is get rid of the Zgemma and the freeview recorder and get a sat/freeview combi box. I do not have Virgin cable in the house.
I have been looking at the Formuler F1 box and the Tiviar Alpha + box.
Before i decide which one will this box accept freeview ?
Will any of the boxes let me watch freeview on my tv like i have now from rf-out/loop out or will i have to split the incomming aerial to feed tv and the box?
I do have an iptv sub that i used on my Zgemma but the supplier made an error with the bouquets for VOD and my box went funny so i had to put W7 on it and i think thats when i started to have playback issues. Will any of the 2 box work good with sat line, freeview and an iptv sub or will these box's struggle?
I know the box i have now is slow but i just wanted some feedback before deciding which one to get or not.
I was only thinking of spending about £110/120 max.

A lot of cable boxes have DVB-C/T2 tuners so will accept either cable or terestrial connection. So if you get a combo box that comes with sat (DVB-S) and cable (DVB-C/T2) tuners you will get bot sat and freeview. IPTV should work on most enigma2 boxes without much of a problem.

I can't see where you say what box you have apart from the fact it's a zgemma, there are lots of them. What box do you have?

EDIT: Looking at your other posts in the thread you linked to you say you have a Zegemma Star S. That is quite an old box, you could upgrade that to a H52tc for example which has a sat tuner and a twin cable/terestrial tuner for about £65 (although it doesn't have an rf out).

Thank you for that reply.
I did look at Zgemma combi's but i thought they were slow box's and would struggle with sat, terrestrial and IPTV sub on them and also a few plugins.
I have seen 3/4 reviews on the F1 and Alpha+ and the feedback was quite good.
I know the rf-out is not importent but i would like to use the tv the same as i do now but if it comes to it i can split the signal if needed.

i have the alpha + box and its pretty good and quick! i have all the fta channels on it and also iptv thru xtream

I know a number of people that use Zgemma's for both IPTV and sat/cable. The formular boxes are good apparently but I have never used one, remember they come with 1 tuner by default so you would need to purchase the dvb c/t2 tuner to get the terestrial.

Used lots of Zgemma H2s boxes and they run IPTV and Satt no problem.I saw a zgemma H7s the other day a friend bought and it's a great box for the money with everything you would need.There is also a H9s available now .I have used Zgemma for a few years now and they have always been reliable and plenty of support available.I have seem posts saying how good formular boxes are but tbh I have never used one so can't comment but I know they had a few issues with slow epg etc but maybe this has been fixed now.I use vu+duo2 and ultimo 4k boxes myself at home and they are rock solid ,fast and very good quality but obviously above your budget.You can get a vu+ solo 2 now for under £200.00 and that's a good box.

Note that the H9 is only a single tuner box, the H7 is better value in my mind, the H7S give you twin sat tuner and single dvb c/t2 or the H7C has single sat tuner and 2 x dvb c/t2 tuners but this one requires 2 feeds for the dvb c/t2 tuners.

Thank you all for the replies.
There are some different models for me to look at.
I did have an IPTV sub that was in my bouquets but the provider messed up when the box updated the epg/bouquets and put in loads of new VOD bouquets and the box froze and would not come out of boot mode. I was not the only one with this problem and the only way round was to reflash and i went from woosh 5.1(2) upto 7 after reflash and that is when my issues started.
In my post in Woosh's thread i mentioned that i download tv show torrents and ftp them over to the usb and watch them later but after update most of the files would not playback and constant box frezzing and then having to reboot the box.
Tried differnt usb's but the same issue. woosh did say instead of ftp why noy send them over the home network but i can see the box on my pc but it wont let me connect to it for some reason.
I also thought about trying to play the files from the pc onto my Zgemma (streaming) but i could not work it out so that's the main reason for wanting to upgrade my box.

Star 2s boxes are a bit old now for IPTV , I used to use them for sat but when I switched to IPTV a lot of people had issues with them freezing etc so I started using H2s boxes and that fixed the problems.

Tried differnt usb's but the same issue. woosh did say instead of ftp why noy send them over the home network but i can see the box on my pc but it wont let me connect to it for some reason.
Press the menu button and then select Setup -> System -> Network -> Samba and make sure it is running and autostart is enabled. Your PC should be able to access the box in home network then.

Press the menu button and then select Setup -> System -> Network -> Samba and make sure it is running and autostart is enabled. Your PC should be able to access the box in home network then.

Thank you for that.
I will try that out later and see if it works.

vince.

I use athe F1 box and it does everything i want and more, have woosh 7 on it and had a slight problem with a faulty hard drive at first (not the boxes fault) if you can find one now you wouldn't need another box for a long time.
Failing that i would take a close look at the H9.

Thank you all for the replies.
There are some different models for me to look at.
I did have an IPTV sub that was in my bouquets but the provider messed up when the box updated the epg/bouquets and put in loads of new VOD bouquets and the box froze and would not come out of boot mode. I was not the only one with this problem and the only way round was to reflash and i went from woosh 5.1(2) upto 7 after reflash and that is when my issues started.
In my post in Woosh's thread i mentioned that i download tv show torrents and ftp them over to the usb and watch them later but after update most of the files would not playback and constant box frezzing and then having to reboot the box.
I also thought about trying to play the files from the pc onto my Zgemma (streaming) but i could not work it out so that's the main reason for wanting to upgrade my box.
You could just stream the files straight form your pc on to your tv(if it is a smart tv)or just download to hard drive ,plug it into your box and use media player.

You could just stream the files straight form your pc on to your tv(if it is a smart tv)or just download to hard drive ,plug it into your box and use media player.

I have managed to connect the pc to the Zgemma on my home network and have sent video files to the usb at the rear of the Zgemma.
As for trying to view files from the pc and play them on the Zgemma i followed a guide on here somewhere but it could not connect to the folder as i have my torrent folder on the desktop as i have found it easy that way for years.
I think it could not find the folder as it would need the full destination in the setup and i think i only put \Torrents in the setup.
I will look at the boxes you all have mentioned before in your posts over the weekend and thanks for the comments.

Where did you put the torent files on the USB stick, try copying the torrent folder into /media/hdd/movies on your box, so you end up with /media/hdd/movies/torrents and then press file list button on your remote, if it defaults to the movie folder then you should see the torrents folder listed. If file list doesn't open in the movies folder, press the yellow button (bookmarks) and you should then see /media/hdd/movies as an option. select it.

Where did you put the torent files on the USB stick, try copying the torrent folder into /media/hdd/movies on your box, so you end up with /media/hdd/movies/torrents and then press file list button on your remote, if it defaults to the movie folder then you should see the torrents folder listed. If file list doesn't open in the movies folder, press the yellow button (bookmarks) and you should then see /media/hdd/movies as an option. select it.

Thanks grog68 for your reply.
What i am having an issue with is accessing the torrent folder on the pc's desktop from the Zgemma box and not ftp.
I can ftp a file (avi, mkv or whatever ) from pc to Zgemma /media/hd/movies ok but my original problem with the box was after updating to Woosh 7 when i go to playback the files from that location the box would lock up or i could play the files ok and sometimes the same file would play 3/4 time on the trot ok and then the next time play for 4/5 secs and then the box would freeze. All the files recorded by timer were perfect.
I was trying to see if i could play the files on the pc through my network on the zgemma but i get an error message about not being able to access the folder on the pc. My torrent folders is on the desktop so i would have to drill down to get the exact path details needed to input those details on the Zgemma network mounts if you see what i mean.
I just wanted to see if doing that way would work and the files would play ok and be less hassle than ftp them over and if they did work .
I only copy them over to the box because i dont have the pc on all the time.

Hello.

After spending the weekend looking at the options on here and elsewhere i have today ordered the Tiviar Alpha Plus from WOS for £100 all in.
It will come flashed to OpenATV Nightly build.
I have tried this build on my Star S when it was playing and it was different from Woosh 7 but i still had the same issues with usb/files playback.
Does anybody know if i can put IPAB onto the Tiviar as i have been using on my Zgemma at the moment and i like the look and feel of it and would like to still use it but on the ipab i doesn't say if it can be used on the Tiviar.
If i can't will i be able to use Woosh 7 on it instead as it can be used for the Formuler box and i think the Tiviar is more or less the same maker i think.

Back