Guide Dogs Forced To Quit Over Canine Assaults

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than three guide dogs a month are attacked by other dogs rendering some so distressed they cannot work again.

378.jpg

Some guide dogs are so distressed after an attack that they can't work again

More than three guide dogs a month are attacked by other dogs rendering some so distressed they cannot work again.

According to a review published by the Veterinary Record Journal, almost half the attacking dogs were types of bull breeds such as Bulldogs, Mastiffs, Pit Bulls and Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Half of the guide dogs, who tended to be the gentler Labrador, Golden Retrievers or retriever cross breeds, were so traumatised by the attack that their performance or behavior deteriorated.

The guide dog owners were also hugely distressed by the attacks partly because they were unable to see how badly their guide dog was injured.

More than 60% of the attacks happened while the bull dogs were off their leads and the guide dogs were in their harnesses working.

Sue Royal from the RSPCA called for dog licenses to be reintroduced to enable dog owners to be traced.

"These attacks are extremely traumatic for the guide dog and their owner as the nature of their relationship means they have a very close bond," she said.

"We would urge all dog owners to be responsible and make sure their dogs are properly trained and kept on a lead when necessary."

Of the attacks examined in the report, almost half of the guide dogs and about 10% of owners involved sustained injuries severe enough to need veterinary or medical attention and in some cases the owner of the attacking dog left the scene without a word.

A spokesman for Guide Dogs for the Blind Association said that only a small number of the 4500 guide dogs working across the UK were attacked however it was still worrying.

"We are particularly concerned that an attack can upset the very special relationship forged between a dog and its handler. It can take time to reestablish the trust in the relationship, and upset the mobility of the blind or partially-sighted person," he said.

-

Why would you let your dog do such a thing to another dog or human for that matter. Problem is a lot of the owners of these pitballs and staffs cant handle them and have them cos they think it makes them "hard".
I agree bring back dog licenses for all dogs or make it compulsory for all dogs to have a chip at least the if the dog has a license/tag they can track down the owner and prosecute them.

We have a big problem over here with pitbulls, even forcing some cities to ban ownership of them. I have seen lots of people letting their dogs run loose off the chain.....I've even also been nearly bit a few times by these dogs. Had one a couple months ago, I was taking out some trash to the dumpster, and another neighbor in the apartment complex was walking her pitbull without a leash......he came behind me, and I jerked my hand forward.....just as he took a snip at where my hand was. They called their dog, said sorry, and left almost running towards their apartment.

sorry is not good enough - it could have been a young child he did it to and he might not have missed! although the laws in the US are different to the ones here - you have more force and can do more about animals either biting humans or other dogs and even the welfare of animals. ( yes i watch a lot of these animals programs like detroit animal rescue etc)

Where I live, in the past year or so, quite a few people and dogs were attacked by other dogs (mainly pitbulls) who have either gotten out of their fenced in area, or were not on a leash. In several instances when the police arrived, the dogs ran towards the officers, forcing them to open fire, either killing or severely wounding the animal. About 14 or so in the past year have been killed by police. Those who either weren't killed, or were able to be captured, are taken by animal control and quarrantined for 10 days to check if they have rabies. If they do, they are destroyed, if not, their owners can claim them....after paying the quarrantine fee. The owners are also ticketed for failure to properly secure their animals.

We have several no kill shelters who are at beyond max capacity for housing animals, as people keep dropping off animals onto their property....including new born pups, as has happened in the past few days. Just about every single no kill shelter in the state is at max capacity.

Back